Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

seeing the doctor again regarding depression watch

Announcements

I saw the doctor a couple years ago about depression and anxiety. They gave me some pills and increased the dosage but they didnt work and I think they made things worse. I am not interested in taking any pills from the doctor, I do not want them and will not take them.

They also offered therapy but I refused at the time. I was too scared. I have now read a lot about therapy. I am not really interested in doing this now either.

Since then my depression has remained about the same. I've had some really low points and very negative thoughts. I also have a very strong hate for women even though I am straight. I have also started to have the occasional panic attack.

I am unsure if I should tell the doctor about my hatred for women though, I dont know if it is relevant or necessary but I dont like feeling that. I do not know whether visiting the doctor will be worthwhile as I do not want to take their medication and I don't think I will be interested in therapy.

Should I go to the doctor? or will it be pointless?

ReputationRep:
    If you're unwilling to take medication or engage in therapy, what do you expect a doctor to do for you? Tbh he'd probably just tell you to get a decent amount of sleep, exercise regularly and eat healthily.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you not want to take anti-depressants? A lot of people do have bad experiences with them to start with because it takes a while to workout what type and dosage suits your case. However, why give up? There's such a strange attitude towards mental diseases as opposed to physical problems. Would you accept 'I'm not taking insulin' off a diabetic? Everyone would think that they're insane, it could lead to severe illness and potentially even death. This is exactly the same with anti-depressants. If I were you and I were unsure about how I felt about medication and/or therapy, I would go to the doctors, explain what you have said here about being reluctant and then be open to suggestions from a medical professional. Also, I think your feelings about women would be an ideal topic to discuss with a counsellor so maybe re-consider. As they always say, don't knock it til you try it. If it's not for you then at least you know instead of just hypothesising. Good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.