Turn on thread page Beta

i liked this girl (not in my lectures this year) and i had hoped to just go up and talk to her after a lecture or something, but never could as Im either with my friends so feel odd and bad for randomly ditching them, or shes with her friends which is just intimidating.

what would i do in this situation, as I may not see girls in these lectures outside of them during the week, should i just approch them, what do i say?

Im asking this because I've not approached girls i like or seem like their interested in me so i dont want to make this mistake again.

ReputationRep:
    Arrange for you and your friends to go out, ask her and her friends along too, say it's a study group or something. Worse that could happen is they say no, you still go out with your friends, the best outcome is they all say yes and you have chance to talk to her. She won't feel threatened because her friends are there, you should feel fine because your friends are there and there's booze. You'll get to know here a wee bit too, you might find out she has a really annoying laugh and so don't want to know her. Good luck!

(Original post by CDavidson24)
    Arrange for you and your friends to go out, ask her and her friends along too, say it's a study group or something. Worse that could happen is they say no, you still go out with your friends, the best outcome is they all say yes and you have chance to talk to her. She won't feel threatened because her friends are there, you should feel fine because your friends are there and there's booze. You'll get to know here a wee bit too, you might find out she has a really annoying laugh and so don't want to know her. Good luck!
    I'm really bad organising stuff like that (im quite an introvert) and im not as close to my friends on my course :/

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem too so I know how you feel! Have you ever spoken to this girl in person?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit of an introvert too, so I can sympathise. Well, do your friends know each other better than they know you? Were they friends before class? You can say it's for class/getting to know each other. As for organising, you don't need to print flyers and have a powerpoint presentation. It can be as casual as 'Fancy a pint down the union?' if you have time, you can get more comfortable with your mates, THEN ask the girls over. Little steps at a time, that's how I built my confidence levels up.

ReputationRep:
    You have little to lose. Assume the worst possible outcome, so that even the slightest success will be a victory.

(Original post by PosionedMushroom)
    I had this problem too so I know how you feel! Have you ever spoken to this girl in person?
    no much tbh, just a "hey". she's on a placment now for second term (slightly different degree) so I'm not sure what i can do now, I just want to stop being so nervous in these situations!

(Original post by CDavidson24)
    I'm a bit of an introvert too, so I can sympathise. Well, do your friends know each other better than they know you? Were they friends before class? You can say it's for class/getting to know each other. As for organising, you don't need to print flyers and have a powerpoint presentation. It can be as casual as 'Fancy a pint down the union?' if you have time, you can get more comfortable with your mates, THEN ask the girls over. Little steps at a time, that's how I built my confidence levels up.
    This does sound like a good idea, it would be nice to get to know my course mates better!

ReputationRep:
    What I tend to do is come in a bit later, sit next to the person and complain about how boring the lecture is or keep hinting at how lost I am. Maybe not the best approach but always able to chat to them later!

ReputationRep:
    Societies are a really great way of meeting new people

Maybe see if she is in any societies that you may be interested in?

(Original post by King Kebab)
    Societies are a really great way of meeting new people

Maybe see if she is in any societies that you may be interested in?
    I'm in second year and halfway through he year, would be okay to join a society now, or would friendship groups already be made?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in second year and halfway through he year, would be okay to join a society now, or would friendship groups already be made?
    I am in the same situation in my course. I have recently joined a society and it is fine. Many societies go to a bar afterward where you can talk to different people in the societies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i liked this girl (not in my lectures this year) and i had hoped to just go up and talk to her after a lecture or something, but never could as Im either with my friends so feel odd and bad for randomly ditching them, or shes with her friends which is just intimidating.

what would i do in this situation, as I may not see girls in these lectures outside of them during the week, should i just approch them, what do i say?

Im asking this because I've not approached girls i like or seem like their interested in me so i dont want to make this mistake again.

This is generally what I do when I try to get a bird
    Name:  aBKVQ42_460s_v1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  15.9 KB

(Original post by Ferris Bueller)
    This is generally what I do when I try to get a bird
    Name:  aBKVQ42_460s_v1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  15.9 KB
    good effort, but I didn't use the term "bird" so it's not quite as funny.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.