Village council orders gang rape of woman as punishment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-25855325

How revolting.

ReputationRep:
    where do they think they are? norwich?

ReputationRep:
    Sad thing is I don't even know what you could do to change things? There's no point "educating" them, what are you meant to teach them? How wrong rape is? I doubt they care, how women are in fact equal to men and shouldn't be treated as property? They'd vaguely nod at you then laugh amongst themselves after you left. I honestly don't see what you can do, arrest those in this Kangaroo court? That'll just cause tensions as the community believes in these elders as leaders, thus follow their archaic rulings.

ReputationRep:
    The UK sends aid to India; evidently while it is very helpful and prestigous having a space programme how about stopping things like this?

I just feel that sending money to a country such as India, only for it to spend so much on a space progamme when poverty and blatant social injustice is worryingly prevalent is wrong.

How about dealing with the issues that affect your population before embarking on your vanity project space programme?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I'm that shocked :no:

ReputationRep:
    Sad thing is that this probably happens a lot more often in rural parts of India, we just never get to hear about it. I don't know how they can live with themselves after doing such a hideous thing, they don't deserve to be called men.

ReputationRep:
    This would never have happened while we were in charge.

ReputationRep:
    India needs to get its act together on this kind of stuff if it wants to be taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Saw India mentioned in the link and I sighed with relief, although it's probably stupid to think it would happen here.

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting but sadly unsurprising.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.