Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I was wondering how much weightage is given to the SAT on UK University applications. I will be doing it, and applying to US Colleges, but is it useful even for UK applications?

Furthermore, when should I start preparing for it? I know that it should be after GCSE, but when after GCSE? What is the level of Maths and English in the SAT compared to A levels/GCSE?

Is anyone applying for US Colleges from the UK? How does the application process go? Are there any unsaid rules or insider tips?

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjunbendre)
    Hi all,

I was wondering how much weightage is given to the SAT on UK University applications. I will be doing it, and applying to US Colleges, but is it useful even for UK applications?

Furthermore, when should I start preparing for it? I know that it should be after GCSE, but when after GCSE? What is the level of Maths and English in the SAT compared to A levels/GCSE?

Is anyone applying for US Colleges from the UK? How does the application process go? Are there any unsaid rules or insider tips?

Thanks a lot!

You should note that some (UK) universities prefer the ACT instead or don't even accept the SAT. SAT Maths is f ****** easy, you can get at least 80% without even learning. The English part is harder, especially the vocabulary is very difficult. You'll have to explain words that you haven't heard og your entire life, so prepare for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanover)
    You should note that some (UK) universities prefer the ACT instead or don't even accept the SAT. SAT Maths is f ****** easy, you can get at least 80% without even learning. The English part is harder, especially the vocabulary is very difficult. You'll have to explain words that you haven't heard og your entire life, so prepare for that.

Okay thanks so much! Would SAT and ACT preparation be a one-size-fits-all solution or are they very different?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arjunbendre)
    Okay thanks so much! Would SAT and ACT preparation be a one-size-fits-all solution or are they very different?

Thanks.
    It's very difficult since both tests are VERY different. The SAT, as I've mentioned before, has a strong focus on vocabulary & language, while the ACT is more focussed on Sciences & Maths (advanced level, SAT Maths would look so cheap in comparison to that). Also SAT doesn't even have a Sciences section! The questions given in the SAT & ACT are also very different. ACT tends to ask clearer questions so you exactly know what you should asnwer. SAT, on the contrary, gives you very general but complex questions.
    To sum up, if you're talented in Maths & Sciences, take the ACT. If you're excellent in English & literature/writing, then opt for the SAT.
    Many (UK) universities, however, prefer the ACT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanover)
    It's very difficult since both tests are VERY different. The SAT, as I've mentioned before, has a strong focus on vocabulary & language, while the ACT is more focussed on Sciences & Maths (advanced level, SAT Maths would look so cheap in comparison to that). Also SAT doesn't even have a Sciences section! The questions given in the SAT & ACT are also very different. ACT tends to ask clearer questions so you exactly know what you should asnwer. SAT, on the contrary, gives you very general but complex questions.
    To sum up, if you're talented in Maths & Sciences, take the ACT. If you're excellent in English & literature/writing, then opt for the SAT.
    Many (UK) universities, however, prefer the ACT.

Okay thanks for that, Hanover! Really helpful. I'll probably end up taking both, because my maths is quite good, but my English is relatively good as well.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.