Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Friends and Sixth Form... Advice please! watch

Announcements

I moved to a new school for Sixth Form... Us externals and some originally from the school clumped together and formed this group, but I feel like I'm not close with them at all. They are nice, but they never do anything out of school with me, and at lunchtimes I keep looking at the clock. I told myself it's just 2 years, but it feels like longer, and whenever I overthink about it I feel miserable. I'm not being bullied, and I'm still really close with friends from my old school, but I've never been in this position of having no one who I'm close with at school. Anyone who has been in a similar situation/is going through it now, advice/encouragement would be really appreciated! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi so most people experience this in the first year of sixth form, you say that you don't do anything with them outside of school? well the first place to start is to make the effort to organise things to do at weekends, it depends on group size and mix etc but in doing this you will find that they start to organise stuff and after time you all will just feel more comfortable with some more than others. I know that you will be comparing them to your older friends (who you have already clicked with/known for years), but it takes time and effort and two years is a long time without any friends at school, Rome wasn't built in a year!!

ReputationRep:
    Heya I had a very similar experience when I moved schools and I found the best way to start is to try and not limit yourself to one group of people but maybe those who are in your lessons with you and you spend more time with in school? Also it can help to try and become close with one person within the group and then as the rest of the group realise that you're beginning to make connections they will soon realise they want to be close with you too and they'll start to invite you out!

(Original post by Rose195)
    Hi so most people experience this in the first year of sixth form, you say that you don't do anything with them outside of school? well the first place to start is to make the effort to organise things to do at weekends, it depends on group size and mix etc but in doing this you will find that they start to organise stuff and after time you all will just feel more comfortable with some more than others. I know that you will be comparing them to your older friends (who you have already clicked with/known for years), but it takes time and effort and two years is a long time without any friends at school, Rome wasn't built in a year!!
    Thanks, and yes it will take time!

ReputationRep:
    Well like what other said start organising events during the weekend. That is what I did which I felt like Im becoming closer to these new people.

Have you got an online chat app like whatapps etc. I made a group chat and put all the new friends in it so we can kind of contact outside of school. It is really useful, I just send random or funny pics and sometimes ask how is everyone doing etc.

Talking about old friends, they all kind of neglected me ever since we all went to different colleges; I tried keeping contact with them but they kind of ignored me lol? Why. That 5 years was meaningless I suppose?

Also do some revisions together, that is how one of my new friend got closer. We are in different class but both studying biology.

Goodluck.

(Original post by bethanyjennifer)
    Heya I had a very similar experience when I moved schools and I found the best way to start is to try and not limit yourself to one group of people but maybe those who are in your lessons with you and you spend more time with in school? Also it can help to try and become close with one person within the group and then as the rest of the group realise that you're beginning to make connections they will soon realise they want to be close with you too and they'll start to invite you out!
    Thanks! I will try and spend one lunchtime a week with some different people, as I'm in some of my lessons with them, and they are so lovely. It is getting better compared to last term, but it will take time!

(Original post by chocolattelee)
    Well like what other said start organising events during the weekend. That is what I did which I felt like Im becoming closer to these new people.

Have you got an online chat app like whatapps etc. I made a group chat and put all the new friends in it so we can kind of contact outside of school. It is really useful, I just send random or funny pics and sometimes ask how is everyone doing etc.

Talking about old friends, they all kind of neglected me ever since we all went to different colleges; I tried keeping contact with them but they kind of ignored me lol? Why. That 5 years was meaningless I suppose?

Also do some revisions together, that is how one of my new friend got closer. We are in different class but both studying biology.

Goodluck.
    Thank for the advice! I might suggest a shopping trip with one or two of them! I'm sorry that your old friends ignored you- the same thing has happened to many externals at my school.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.