Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've got 19 examinations in the summer (starting from 12th May 2014).
    I was wondering when I should start revising?
    Also, have you got any revision techniques that have proven to be useful?
    How long should I revise for each day?

I have already sat my mathematics and English language GCSE's and I've been predicted high grades for the summer exams. Does that mean I have to revise more than I otherwise would?

Thank you very much,
    Naf.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation as you! Mine start on the 8th of May. Personally, I plan to start slowly in February and then March and April really revise. Feb half term is always a good time to sort things out or make plans? I find that making cards or word documents based on the specification for most subjects a good way, as you are revising by finding and writing down the information but also you know that you have all the noted you need and then just read through it and get tested on them. Also, with languages remember to start early, vocab can't be learnt just the night before! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emjo1997)
    I'm in the same situation as you! Mine start on the 8th of May. Personally, I plan to start slowly in February and then March and April really revise. Feb half term is always a good time to sort things out or make plans? I find that making cards or word documents based on the specification for most subjects a good way, as you are revising by finding and writing down the information but also you know that you have all the noted you need and then just read through it and get tested on them. Also, with languages remember to start early, vocab can't be learnt just the night before! Good luck!
    Thank you very much; I keep planning etc. but I haven't got round to actually doing the work! I will probably start during the February half term and proceed using your technique. Thanks again!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by miss_naffy)
    Hello,

I've got 19 examinations in the summer (starting from 12th May 2014).
    I was wondering when I should start revising?
    Also, have you got any revision techniques that have proven to be useful?
    How long should I revise for each day?

I have already sat my mathematics and English language GCSE's and I've been predicted high grades for the summer exams. Does that mean I have to revise more than I otherwise would?

Thank you very much,
    Naf.
    i would start as soon as possible. make a revision timetable and do 2 or 3 subjects per night for 30mins or longer if you like and leave a little break in between subjects. the way i revise people say is unusual but it has worked for me: i simply rewrite my notes or notes from a textbook by hand highlight the key words, then type those notes up. that way i am reading over my notes 3 times. as you get closer to the exam season you may want to increase the amount of time you revise each day and also make sure you do past papers, they are really the best way to revise for some subjects like science, maths and english.
    i don't think being predicted high grades means you have to revise more cause it means they think you are capable of reaching that grade. i had my geography GCSE predicted grade changed from a B at the start of yr 10 to an A* in yr11 and i managed to achieve that with the same amount of revision as my other subjects. but make sure you don't work too hard. leave yourself time to relax in the evenings, i have a rule that i never revise after 6.30pm and i leave sundays free as long as i don't have an exam the next day.
    hope this advice helps you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgwktm)
    i would start as soon as possible. make a revision timetable and do 2 or 3 subjects per night for 30mins or longer if you like and leave a little break in between subjects. the way i revise people say is unusual but it has worked for me: i simply rewrite my notes or notes from a textbook by hand highlight the key words, then type those notes up. that way i am reading over my notes 3 times. as you get closer to the exam season you may want to increase the amount of time you revise each day and also make sure you do past papers, they are really the best way to revise for some subjects like science, maths and english.
    i don't think being predicted high grades means you have to revise more cause it means they think you are capable of reaching that grade. i had my geography GCSE predicted grade changed from a B at the start of yr 10 to an A* in yr11 and i managed to achieve that with the same amount of revision as my other subjects. but make sure you don't work too hard. leave yourself time to relax in the evenings, i have a rule that i never revise after 6.30pm and i leave sundays free as long as i don't have an exam the next day.
    hope this advice helps you
    Thank you! I'll bear this in mind when revising and I like the idea of not revising after a certain time and leaving Sunday free too. I will do about 2/3 subjects each day I guess; but thank you, this has really helped!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by miss_naffy)
    Thank you! I'll bear this in mind when revising and I like the idea of not revising after a certain time and leaving Sunday free too. I will do about 2/3 subjects each day I guess; but thank you, this has really helped!
    thank you. i think it is important to leave time to relax and take it easy, your mind can only take so much afterall

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.