The Student Room Group
Reply 1
That's something to talk to you school about, they'd know that. There is nothing techinical stopping you as far as I can see. But if you're school doesn't do it then bang goes that idea.

Couple of things - firstly I'd be sure I enjoyed philosophy before I took it as a double course. Are you confident you'll enjoy it. If you'll think you'll really like it then it makes it a lot easier to do it in such a concentrated way. If you don't like it though, it'll be really really sucky.

Secondly, what Maths course are you doing? I found first year maths tough as hell but second year maths really clicked together for me. That and the fact that I could go back and resit maths courses from my first year meant I ended up doing a whole lot better than I would have predicted. If you can get your head around maths next year, it's easy as pie (why is pie easy?) to come back and resit stuff you found tough this year. It's not like history where A2 stuff doesn't help with AS, cuz it's completely different bits of history, with Maths coming back to first year maths with second year maths knowledge makes resits easy. But then that's only gonna convince you if you'll believe A2 maths gets easier... So I guess I'm saying, ask your school about Philosophy. If they say no, maths might not be as bad as you think.

Wow! That was a lot of typing with no information... sorry
Reply 2

thanx - the thing with maths is if i didnt get a high enough grade this year i cant carry on and would have to re-do the AS completely which i dont want to do i've decided i want to do RS at uni possible with philosophy which is why i would rather study that - my college offer it asa choice its just persuading them to let me do it in a year
Reply 3
Okay yeah that would make sense then, particularly if you want to do something with it at Uni, I guess it would be easier to convince them. But even so, doing a two year course, expecially with coursework and all that in two years might be tricky. But this is all just me liking to type, you'll only find out if you ask them. Wish you lots of luck though, if my school hadn't have done philosophy my life would be a lot less enjoyable now. Hope you can convince them, give 'em hell. :wink:
If you're thinking of doing so much philosophy and so concentrated, you've got to make sure (beforehand!) that it's something you enjoy, that you're incredibly good at arguing (for the high grades), and that you're good at learning arguments and theories and suchlike...

Someone I knew started off in my philosophy class, and couldn't handle the type of thinking, so ended up dropping it because it drove them crazy! Not that that would happen to you - but you ought to make sure that you would enjoy it, because if you do it for a term and really don't get on, then it would be much harder doing an A2 in a term and a bit.. :s-smilie:

Good luck with it though, if you do do it - I found Philosophy to be fabulous - especially winding people up with it later!
Reply 5
I have a similiar question. I missed my uni offer, and now Im considering doing a Philosophy A-Level at a local college. My question is, is it possible to do AS and A2 in one year, with no other subjects going (i would imagine it is, but it's worth asking), and is it the type of subject that is possible to study and do well in (by well I mean an A) almost exclusively on the weight of your own study, and without much input from a teacher/mentor, whatever.

I have an interest in the subject and have read several books, and I'm a strong essay writer, I got easy A's in Histroy and English but fell down in Maths, which I rather stupidly chose to pursue against by better judgement. Overall, my question is, for someone with a keen interest and lots of motivation is it possible? Or is it the type of subject where you simply need input from someone else to explain difficult concepts etc...

Thanks in advance for the info, I'm really quite desperate to know, as it will inform my desicision as to what A level to study in my gap year for reapplication next year.
Calvin
If you can get your head around maths next year, it's easy as pie (why is pie easy?)

I can't help but imagine the pie/pi puns that could be made out of this.

Of course it's possible to do A2 (insert subject here) in a year, as long as you put in twice as much work with a teacher or more without. :confused: Since Niaya now essentially is only doing two A-levels there should be a lot more time.

I'll be honest, Dann, A-levels are not for great thinkers. That's what you have uni for.
Reply 7
you've probably made your decision by now but...

I am doing philosophy for A2 (in two years)

I can tell you that there is a huge amount of content to cover and that you would struggle greatly.
However, it IS a great subject and you may love it.
Reply 8
If your college will let you, and you're sufficiently able / motivated, then A-level Philosophy can be done in a year. The A2 content doesn't really build on the AS content; instead, it covers new topics.

Trying to do it on your own would be very risky. It's tough enough with a teacher supporting you. If you do decide to try to take the A2 independently, then I suggest you find a tutor (even a distance tutor). You need someone to look at your work and advise you.

Hope it goes well if you've decided to go ahead with this.

Latest

Trending

Trending