Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I recently had a job interview (just for a Summer job to fit around uni, so it's not like the outcome would affect the rest of my life or anything) and I was an absolute wreck. There was a group bit and a one-on-one bit. During the group bit, I was shaking the entire time and when it was my turn to speak in one of the presentations I was speaking too fast because I could barely breathe. During the one-on-one bit I was tripping all over my words and was speaking words in the wrong order. Needless to say I got a call today saying that I didn't get the job.

I have however been given a second chance. I applied for a different role in the same company and have an interview for that in 3 weeks time. I really want the job and don't want to mess this one up. Does anyone, from experience, know if there's anything natural I can do to calm myself down and behave properly, or I'd even be willing to take pills if anyone could recommend any safe and effective ones.

Whilst this interview isn't the be all and end all, I'll finish uni next year and have to have even more important interviews so learning to cope is something I should work on now.

Anxiety is absolutely normal, believe it or not but it happens to many people I just think you need to find a way to calm yourself down. Think of a happy place or imagine everyone naked, whatever works for you. However, if you feel that your anxiety is just too much for you to cope with talk to your doctor?
    also, try mock interviews and presentations you'll get used to talking around people and to people you may not know. More practice will help your overcome your issues
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.