Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Universal Credit Calculator. Good or Bad? watch

• View Poll Results: Universal Credit Calculator. Good or Bad?
    Good
    66.67%
    Bad
    33.33%

ReputationRep:
    Universal Credit Calculator. Good or Bad?

I've always been sceptical of Ian Duncan Smith but it seems Universal Credit actually allows benefit claimants to be better off in work. This means they will not suffer from taking low hours jobs. This will open the doors of work to a lot of people and increase social mobility.

I am a avid watcher of prime minister questions and welfare debates inside the house of commons and I can tell you Ian Duncan Smith is making the best out of the cards he has been dealt. He is not the villian we all think he is and he could be the man responsible for one of the biggest changes which will benefit the working class.

Labour on the other hand keep demonizing Ian Duncan Smith about set backs and the money which was written off. We all know that is nothing compared to what Labour wasted and it seems that Labour know that if they don't turn people against Universal Credit they could lose out on this debate/issue.

I personally think it was a huge mistake to trust outsourcing firms like ATOS and Capita but that is something which we can hopefully change and stop thousands of genuine disabled people from suffering.

If the Conservatives are to win the next elections I think they need to reform PIP and ESA again.
    I am not talking about futher cuts. I suggest they add more descriptors on these tests so genuine disabled people don't fall though the safety net.

http://policyinpractice.co.uk/

link to universal credit calculator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    I've always been sceptical of Ian Duncan Smith but it seems Universal Credit actually allows benefit claimants to be better off in work. This means they will not suffer from taking low hours jobs. This will open the doors of work to a lot of people and increase social mobility.
    You had previously (ie the last four years) missed one of the key points of the policy?

Perhaps it might surprise you to learn its paid monthly and made as a single payment from a single application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You had previously (ie the last four years) missed one of the key points of the policy?

Perhaps it might surprise you to learn its paid monthly and made as a single payment from a single application
    That is how the majority of us are paid now.

ReputationRep:
    That is how the majority of us are paid now.
    Really?

Most people get the various components eg housing benefit and ESA paid as a single payment?

ESA and JSA are now monthly payments nor fortnightly are they? Since when?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Really?

Most people get the various components eg housing benefit and ESA paid as a single payment?

ESA and JSA are now monthly payments nor fortnightly are they? Since when?
    I meant the majority of workers in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Universal Credit Calculator. Good or Bad?

I am a avid watcher of prime minister questions and welfare debates inside the house of commons and I can tell you Ian Duncan Smith is making the best out of the cards he has been dealt. He is not the villian we all think he is and he could be the man responsible for one of the biggest changes which will benefit the working class.

Labour on the other hand keep demonizing Ian Duncan Smith about set backs and the money which was written off. We all know that is nothing compared to what Labour wasted and it seems that Labour know that if they don't turn people against Universal Credit they could lose out on this debate/issue.

I personally think it was a huge mistake to trust outsourcing firms like ATOS and Capita but that is something which we can hopefully change and stop thousands of genuine disabled people from suffering.

If the Conservatives are to win the next elections I think they need to reform PIP and ESA again.
    I am not talking about futher cuts. I suggest they add more descriptors on these tests so genuine disabled people don't fall though the safety net.

http://policyinpractice.co.uk/

link to universal credit calculator
    It's a good policy but i'm skeptical of his ability to successfully implement it given his record with regards to the spare room subsidy and disability review.

ReputationRep:
    I meant the majority of workers in the UK.
    Yes, hence the new policy.

Some are critising the change though.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.