Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

U of Glasgow Conditional Offer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I wrote an email to the U of Glasgow, because I have an conditional offer, and they put physics as a condition, but I don't have physics as a subject anymore. I am an EU student and applied for their Aerospace Engineering program.

Glasgow responded to my email; they said that I'm not eligible for admissions to their School of Engineering without physics. Is there anything I can do now? I had physics until inclusive year 10 and it's very common in Germany to not continue one science subject after finishing this year. Most people continue with two sciences and I really couldn't know at this point. Our school system is designed this way, that you learn all basics and begin with the constructive topics, so I know basically all of the stuff I have to know for an engineerings course. Should I write another email to them explaning all these things? Would it help if let my referee talk to them?
    And would I still have a chance for my application to be reviewed in August, if they get all grades except for physics?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samman282)
    Hi,
    I wrote an email to the U of Glasgow, because I have an conditional offer, and they put physics as a condition, but I don't have physics as a subject anymore. I am an EU student and applied for their Aerospace Engineering program.

Glasgow responded to my email; they said that I'm not eligible for admissions to their School of Engineering without physics. Is there anything I can do now? I had physics until inclusive year 10 and it's very common in Germany to not continue one science subject after finishing this year. Most people continue with two sciences and I really couldn't know at this point. Our school system is designed this way, that you learn all basics and begin with the constructive topics, so I know basically all of the stuff I have to know for an engineerings course. Should I write another email to them explaning all these things? Would it help if let my referee talk to them?
    And would I still have a chance for my application to be reviewed in August, if they get all grades except for physics?
    Thanks!
    Hi there again . I regret to inform you that Physics is usually obligatory for many Engineering courses in the UK, so it is in fact very hard to convince the universities. Despite the exclusive German system (that you drop a few science subjects after 10th grade), you could have continued Physics either as an intensive course (EA-Kurs) or minor course (Abdecker). With regard to this, you had the chance to opt for Physics before starting Oberstufe. So I don't think your referee will be a huge support for you concerning this problem.
    For example, I am not eligible for any Biomed courses since I dropped Chemistry & Biology after year 10, but I had the chance to choose these subjects. May I ask which 'Profil' you have?
    PM me if you want -->

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanover)
    Hi there again . I regret to inform you that Physics is usually obligatory for many Engineering courses in the UK, so it is in fact very hard to convince the universities. Despite the exclusive German system (that you drop a few science subjects after 10th grade), you could have continued Physics either as an intensive course (EA-Kurs) or minor course (Abdecker). With regard to this, you had the chance to opt for Physics before starting Oberstufe. So I don't think your referee will be a huge support for you concerning this problem.
    For example, I am not eligible for any Biomed courses since I dropped Chemistry & Biology after year 10, but I had the chance to choose these subjects. May I ask which 'Profil' you have?
    PM me if you want -->
    Let's continue here, so iothers may benefit .

In Hesse, we don't have any profiles, we have to choose only two core courses and the rest are basic courses. In year 10 of course I didn't know which consequences it would have to not continue physics. Like other students, I continued the subjects I thought I would do better in.
    I explained it to Glasgow again and offered them to join our physics class for the last semester.
    Other universities don't explicitly require physics, but they prefer it.

ReputationRep:
    Let's continue here, so it may benefit othes .

In Hesse, we don't have any profiles, we have to choose only two core courses and the rest are basic courses. In year 10 of course I didn't know which consequences it would have to not continue physics. Like other students, I continued the subjects I thought I would do better in.
    I explained it to Glasgow again and offered them to join our physics class for the last semester.
    Other universities don't explicitly require physics, but they prefer it.
    That is what I was trying to say. The university cannot consider the argument that you were too young at that time and couldn't decide for the course because you didn't know what's best for you. UK Students have the same dilemma - After GCSE level, they have to choose a few subjects for their A-Level. If the university requires, for instance, Maths or Chemistry (at ALevel) for certain courses/programmes but the student doesn't have these subjects but Economics, Geography & English instead, he won't be eligible for admission.

ReputationRep:
    That is what I was trying to say. The university cannot consider the argument that you were too young at that time and couldn't decide for the course because you didn't know what's best for you. UK Students have the same dilemma - After GCSE level, they have to choose a few subjects for their A-Level. If the university requires, for instance, Maths or Chemistry (at ALevel) for certain courses/programmes but the student doesn't have these subjects but Economics, Geography & English instead, he won't be eligible for admission.

No, they really can't. But on the other side they can consider that I simply didn't know that I need physics, because in year 10 it was too early for student to inform themselves about university admissions requirements, which also could change at any time. I am very sure that UK students are aware of the consequences, but we aren't. Our school system focuses only on our higher education system.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, if you don't have the background knowledge of physics, then as soon as you got there you'd seriously struggle and possibly fail. They're not doing this to be horrible, they're doing it because they don't want you to fail later on.

Have you considered doing an engineering foundation course? They're designed for people who either don't have the right subjects or grades to go onto the engineering degree straight away. Several unis offer them, including Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have the background knowledge as we learn all this stuff until year 10. So it won't be a problem for me, definitely not. I recently read the most important physics topics again, and it's still not a problem for me. That's why I will try to discuss with them, maybe they will see that I'm really interested and my possibility to fail isn't high.

It's too late to apply to foundation courses, isn't it?
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Unfortunately, if you don't have the background knowledge of physics, then as soon as you got there you'd seriously struggle and possibly fail. They're not doing this to be horrible, they're doing it because they don't want you to fail later on.

Have you considered doing an engineering foundation course? They're designed for people who either don't have the right subjects or grades to go onto the engineering degree straight away. Several unis offer them, including Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have the background knowledge as we learn all this stuff until year 10. So it won't be a problem for me, definitely not. I recently read the most important physics topics again, and it's still not a problem for me. That's why I will try to discuss with them, maybe they will see that I'm really interested and my possibility to fail isn't high.

I don't know much about the rigour of your education system but I doubt you will have covered anywhere near the basic physics required for an engineering degree? In England, GCSE physics goes as in-depth as telling you that V=IR and that the Earth orbits the sun, it is only at A-Level you kind of do more 'degree useful' stuff.

ReputationRep:

Evidently Imperialdon't see it in the same way you do. Are you sure you learn everything that would be covered at A Level by the end of year 10? Given that I think German Year 10 seems to end at age 16, I rather doubt it.

You have indeed missed the UCAS deadline, but in the absence of other offers, or if you were to decline any offers you do have, you could go through Extra and / or Clearing. There's also the option of taking a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, they really can't. But on the other side they can consider that I simply didn't know that I need physics, because in year 10 it was too early for student to inform themselves about university admissions requirements, which also could change at any time. I am very sure that UK students are aware of the consequences, but we aren't. Our school system focuses only on our higher education system.
    But the British system premises that you know what you're going to do after your A-Level/Abitur at university. In other words, you must know what you want to study at university in year 10 (when you were about to choose your subjects for Abitur). Students in the UK only have 3-4 subjects at A-Level, so their problem is even worse than for German students since we still keep like 11 subjects, including 2-3 intensive courses.
    And I think that we're all well-informed for that due to the various 'profiles' such as Social Studies, Sciences, Linguistics etc...I mean why would you like to study Engineering but chose to have a, let's say, Social Studies Profile without Physics?

ReputationRep:
    I posted a more detailed reply to this on your other thread. Basically, as far as I can tell you have the equivalent of GCSE level physics, i.e. a level two qualification. The university wants you to have the equivalent of A-level physics, a level 3 qualification. Regardless of whether you think you could manage the physics involved in the course, this requirement is clearly listed on their website. UK universities expect you to chose the right subjects at 16 to get on the course you want. If you don't chose them, they expect you to rectify this, e.g. by taking a different qualifcation on a gap year.

I'm sorry, but the physics requirement doesn't appear to be optional, so I don't think there is any chance of you getting into Glasgow this year.

ReputationRep:
    But the British system premises that you know what you're going to do after your A-Level/Abitur at university. In other words, you must know what you want to study at university in year 10 (when you were about to choose your subjects for Abitur). Students in the UK only have 3-4 subjects at A-Level, so their problem is even worse than for German students since we still keep like 11 subjects, including 2-3 intensive courses.
    And I think that we're all well-informed for that due to the various 'profiles' such as Social Studies, Sciences, Linguistics etc...I mean why would you like to study Engineering but chose to have a, let's say, Social Studies Profile without Physics?
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    I posted a more detailed reply to this on your other thread. Basically, as far as I can tell you have the equivalent of GCSE level physics, i.e. a level two qualification. The university wants you to have the equivalent of A-level physics, a level 3 qualification. Regardless of whether you think you could manage the physics involved in the course, this requirement is clearly listed on their website. UK universities expect you to chose the right subjects at 16 to get on the course you want. If you don't chose them, they expect you to rectify this, e.g. by taking a different qualifcation on a gap year.

I'm sorry, but the physics requirement doesn't appear to be optional, so I don't think there is any chance of you getting into Glasgow this year.

I didn't think about what I will do later, I simply chose the subjects that I could do well in. These were English and politics&economics. These are my core courses, we don't have any profiles we can choose in Hesse. I still do have math, german, biology, chemistry, history, physical education, religious ed and even music.
    Also, I can choose physics as a subject for our next semester. I think they would accept it this way, although I won't and can't choose it as a Abitur subject, they will look at my final mark in this subject, or did I get anything wrong?
    My Abitur subjects will be English, Politics&economics, Math, History and German. I thought about choosing Chemistry instead of History, but this way I'll get a better average.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think about what I will do later, I simply chose the subjects that I could do well in. These were English and politics&economics. These are my core courses, we don't have any profiles we can choose in Hesse. I still do have math, german, biology, chemistry, history, physical education, religious ed and even music.
    Also, I can choose physics as a subject for our next semester. I think they would accept it this way, although I won't and can't choose it as a Abitur subject, they will look at my final mark in this subject, or did I get anything wrong?
    My Abitur subjects will be English, Politics&economics, Math, History and German. I thought about choosing Chemistry instead of History, but this way I'll get a better average.
    At the end of the day, and this may sound harsh, the university very likely will not care why you made the decision not to take physics. The reason that you "only took subjects you could do well in" will not sit right with many universities. They will question why you really wanted to do engineering when the subjects you have chosen (things like english, politics and economics) are much more suited to something like law or english literature. The subjects you've taken are very similar to what I'm doing this year, and I've applied for law. This is a little strange if you want to do engineering. Most of the people I know who want to do engineering are taking subjects in the sciences, especially physics. Not thinking about what you will do later is probably the root of your problem- if people want to go to university, it is their responsibility to plan ahead. I had to do it, my teachers had to do it, and you had to do it.

At the end of the day, many people had to plan ahead when choosing their subjects. I hated maths last year, but I chose it because the only other option in the column was Art and I thought that maths would give me a better foundation for my chosen course. You probably had the option to take physics even if the profiles were not available, and instead you took different subjects. If you are taking subjects like english, history and german I think you should consider if engineering really is something you want to do and whether it will fit in with your talents and skills.

The universities clearly state in their prospectuses and websites the qualifications they want. If they would like you to take Higher or Advanced Higher Physics, it can savely be assumed they would like to see the German equivalent too. I'm sorry about your offer being taken away, but there really is nothing you can do and you should have thought about your subject choices before this happened. Hopefully you can try to do a foundation course or perhaps take physics next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambry)
    At the end of the day, and this may sound harsh, the university very likely will not care why you made the decision not to take physics. The reason that you "only took subjects you could do well in" will not sit right with many universities. They will question why you really wanted to do engineering when the subjects you have chosen (things like english, politics and economics) are much more suited to something like law or english literature. The subjects you've taken are very similar to what I'm doing this year, and I've applied for law. This is a little strange if you want to do engineering. Most of the people I know who want to do engineering are taking subjects in the sciences, especially physics. Not thinking about what you will do later is probably the root of your problem- if people want to go to university, it is their responsibility to plan ahead. I had to do it, my teachers had to do it, and you had to do it.

At the end of the day, many people had to plan ahead when choosing their subjects. I hated maths last year, but I chose it because the only other option in the column was Art and I thought that maths would give me a better foundation for my chosen course. You probably had the option to take physics even if the profiles were not available, and instead you took different subjects. If you are taking subjects like english, history and german I think you should consider if engineering really is something you want to do and whether it will fit in with your talents and skills.

The universities clearly state in their prospectuses and websites the qualifications they want. If they would like you to take Higher or Advanced Higher Physics, it can savely be assumed they would like to see the German equivalent too. I'm sorry about your offer being taken away, but there really is nothing you can do and you should have thought about your subject choices before this happened. Hopefully you can try to do a foundation course or perhaps take physics next year.
    Thanks. I had all subjects that were available except for Gology and Physics. This has nothing to do with skills and talent, because our school system is different than UK's. I know many people who chose the same subjects and now study engineering or this. But that's not importang now, I've to see what the university will reply. Either they accept it or not- if not, I do still have four other active choices and a few applications in the US.

But I've got two other questions now: How can I apply or a foundation course now?
    Is it possible to change the university within the same course for the second year? So for example could I attend Strathclyde or City U London and then "transfer" to Glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    ... could I attend Strathclyde or City U London and then "transfer" to Glasgow?
    The short answer is that you might be able to, but you might not. Have a read of this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1781424

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I had all subjects that were available except for Gology and Physics. This has nothing to do with skills and talent, because our school system is different than UK's. I know many people who chose the same subjects and now study engineering or this. But that's not importang now, I've to see what the university will reply. Either they accept it or not- if not, I do still have four other active choices and a few applications in the US.

But I've got two other questions now: How can I apply or a foundation course now?
    Is it possible to change the university within the same course for the second year? So for example could I attend Strathclyde or City U London and then "transfer" to Glasgow?
    I don't know much about foundation years, I'm sorry!

Transferring is certainly possible. Also, if you can get into Strathclyde, it has one of the best engineering departments in the country and it is sometimes regarded as better than Glasgow's, so maybe Strathclyde could be a good option for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holmstock)
    The short answer is that you might be able to, but you might not. Have a read of this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1781424
    Thanks!

(Original post by Ambry)
    I don't know much about foundation years, I'm sorry!

Transferring is certainly possible. Also, if you can get into Strathclyde, it has one of the best engineering departments in the country and it is sometimes regarded as better than Glasgow's, so maybe Strathclyde could be a good option for you?
    I think I'd be okay with Strathclyde too, but Glasgow is more known in Germany so I thought Glasgow would be better than Strathclyde. Anyway, I hope that I get an offer from Strathclyde, because it's my number two school and basically I meet their Abitur requirement.But now, I simply don't hope that they require physics too.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow replied (after they have withdrawned my offer). They say that before I consider dropping any subjects, I should know that they are unable to accept any grades below 1.5 in the Abitur, with no individual score less than 12.
    Well, 1.8 would be possible, but 1.5 is really hard to achieve (I would have to get straight A's and very few B's in all subjects for that, nearly impossible since most of my teachers simply don't give any A's).

But they say that if I think that I can get 1.5, I can drop Biology and take up Physics class.
    Now I'm really unsure, should I try it or not? I know that it's nearly impossible to get 1.5 in the Abitur and I do very well in Biology, so I would drop a subject that is improving my Abitur mark. I don't know what grades I'd get in Physics and I also don't know what my other universities would say to the fact that I don't have Physics (City U London, Hertfordshire, Herriot Watt, Strathclyde -> if I'm remembering this right, they don't require Physics).

Any suggestions?

Should I tell them that I'm willed to try it?

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow replied (after they have withdrawned my offer). They say that before I consider dropping any subjects, I should know that they are unable to accept any grades below 1.5 in the Abitur, with no individual score less than 12.
    Well, 1.8 would be possible, but 1.5 is really hard to achieve (I would have to get straight A's and very few B's in all subjects for that, nearly impossible since most of my teachers simply don't give any A's).

But they say that if I think that I can get 1.5, I can drop Biology and take up Physics class.
    Now I'm really unsure, should I try it or not? I know that it's nearly impossible to get 1.5 in the Abitur and I do very well in Biology, so I would drop a subject that is improving my Abitur mark. I don't know what grades I'd get in Physics and I also don't know what my other universities would say to the fact that I don't have Physics (City U London, Hertfordshire, Herriot Watt, Strathclyde -> if I'm remembering this right, they don't require Physics).

Any suggestions?

Should I tell them that I'm willed to try it?
    Dropping Biology and taking Physics at this late stage does sound like a very high risk strategy, particularly if you think it means that you will get a lower Abitur mark. I think (and it is only my opinion) that you would probably be better concentrating on getting a good Abitur grade, and reviewing your position when you get your results. This should be before the A-level results come out, so you will then have some time to consider whether to accept any offer that you have met, or to try for a place in clearing, or to apply for the Foundation course at Glasgow for September 2014.

Meanwhile, though, you cannot carry forward all four remaining offers - you can choose one as a firm choice and one as an insurance choice, and reject the other two. It is very important not to be vague about the requirements for these other four courses - check the details of the offer via UCAS, check each university's website, and email the admissions departments for the subject to be certain that your qualifications will be accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holmstock)
    Dropping Biology and taking Physics at this late stage does sound like a very high risk strategy, particularly if you think it means that you will get a lower Abitur mark. I think (and it is only my opinion) that you would probably be better concentrating on getting a good Abitur grade, and reviewing your position when you get your results. This should be before the A-level results come out, so you will then have some time to consider whether to accept any offer that you have met, or to try for a place in clearing, or to apply for the Foundation course at Glasgow for September 2014.

Meanwhile, though, you cannot carry forward all four remaining offers - you can choose one as a firm choice and one as an insurance choice, and reject the other two. It is very important not to be vague about the requirements for these other four courses - check the details of the offer via UCAS, check each university's website, and email the admissions departments for the subject to be certain that your qualifications will be accepted.
    Thank you. Well, I did not get a decision from my other choices yet. Should I email them know or only if they make an offer?
    How can I apply to the foundation course?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.