Bristol - Housing for International Postgrads

Watch
smithka164
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
American student here! I do not know anything about the town or Uni of Bristol, but I've been recently accepted and am looking into housing options. Does anyone know if it's cheaper to live on campus v. off campus? What would be the better option for an international student who can't bring much (apart from clothes and books) from overseas? Of the halls or residential areas, what would be best for the quieter type of student? Any advice would be great!
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Moved to the University of Bristol
WhiteTea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by smithka164)
American student here! I do not know anything about the town or Uni of Bristol, but I've been recently accepted and am looking into housing options. Does anyone know if it's cheaper to live on campus v. off campus? What would be the better option for an international student who can't bring much (apart from clothes and books) from overseas? Of the halls or residential areas, what would be best for the quieter type of student? Any advice would be great!
Bristol doesn't have a campus...

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Check out this You Tube film - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u-d_k4cmdk
- this will show you that Bristol isnt a conventional 'campus' Uni, its a big collection of buildings on one area of the city. Also http://www.youtube.com/user/UniversityOfBristol is useful.

There is 'University' accommodation (Halls of Residence) in another part of Bristol but most postgraduates avoid this like crazy (FAR too noisy and 'silly').

Good areas to look for accom - close to Uni - are Clifton, Redland, Cotham. There are of course cheaper areas but they are further away from the Uni area. Two useful sites - http://student.spareroom.co.uk/ (rooms in existing flatshares) or http://www.nestoria.co.uk/ (big real estate site for commercial rentals).

It'll may be difficult for you to arrange anything apart from Uni accommodation in advance so booking a week in a local hotel while you do this would probably be a good idea if you decide to look at private rentals/rooms. The Accom Office at Uni of Bristol is helpful - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/ has lots of sensible advice.
smithka164
Rep:
?
Thanks! I didn't realize that it wasn't a "campus" ( I suppose I'm used to the concept of students living on campus in the same area as academic buildings).

I don't have access just yet to some of the sites (I didn't get my student number yet) so I have to wait to look at the bulletin. Do you have experience with the residence halls? The reason I'm asking is that I feel it'd be easier as an international student to live in the dorms rather than an apartment, simply because I won't be able to bring my own bedding (and other as accessories) to a flat without buying then there - and then what would I do with them at the end of the year? I definitely don't want to be bothered by noise as a post-grad, but I'll probably encounter that everywhere. I'll definitely check out those sites and videos though. Thanks again!
WhiteTea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by smithka164)
Thanks! I didn't realize that it wasn't a "campus" ( I suppose I'm used to the concept of students living on campus in the same area as academic buildings).

I don't have access just yet to some of the sites (I didn't get my student number yet) so I have to wait to look at the bulletin. Do you have experience with the residence halls? The reason I'm asking is that I feel it'd be easier as an international student to live in the dorms rather than an apartment, simply because I won't be able to bring my own bedding (and other as accessories) to a flat without buying then there - and then what would I do with them at the end of the year? I definitely don't want to be bothered by noise as a post-grad, but I'll probably encounter that everywhere. I'll definitely check out those sites and videos though. Thanks again!
Even if you're in uni accommodation you'll need to buy bedding

Posted from TSR Mobile
smithka164
Rep:
?
Well, that's unfortunate.
mpeter45
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey! I'm a recently accepted American postgrad as well and I'm also curious about the housing situation in the eyes of other postgrads. The international office recommended Woodland Court for something quiet and close to campus, but I wasn't sure if there's a good reason why (like being better for more mature students) a majority of the uni provided housing for postgrads is in the city center...opinions, anyone?

Smithka164, I know what you mean about living "on" vs "off" campus. I visited Bristol last month and I guess it would be proper to say that there is no "on" campus housing for postgrads, but I must say that I definitely got a campus-like vibe from the uni because a majority of the academic buildings are clustered in the same area. When I heard it wasn't a campus, I imagined the likes of Boston University of NYU (if you are familiar with the layouts), so I was pleasantly surprised to find it somewhat of an in-between. So, if my understanding is correct, the university has housing that is as close as a 3 min walk from some uni buildings (aka what I would consider "on" campus) and city-center housing (what I consider "off" campus).
abbeyliz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys!

I'm also an American postgrad with an offer to study Film in the fall at Bristol.
Dorm life is the last thing I want to jump back into after being out of undergrad for two years, and I think private housing sounds awesome. I've read a lot about Redland and how a ton of students live there.

But it is really difficult to get everything squared away while still living in the US...you guys wanna be roomies?
smithka164
Rep:
?
Abbeyliz, that would be great! Unfortunately, my parents and I are at each others' necks because they most definitely want me to live in a residence hall (they think it'll be cheaper, but I beg to differ). I understand that everything is already at hand (and basically insured in case something happens to your dorm), but I'd prefer to have the life of an independent, living in an flat/house/something dissimilar to the dorm life. If you check out the links Returnmigrant posted above, that'll be really helpful to find a place to live. Also check out UBU Lettings, a site specifically for Bristol students (at least I think it is). I'm fairly certain that there's a way to form groups through Bristol's accommodation office and they find us a place, but I'm not sure how reliable they are. I haven't had much feedback from them apart from general statements. We also can't even apply for housing in the residence halls until April, which really sucks. I guess we'll see what happens!
smithka164
Rep:
?
And mpeter45, Woodland Court is where I'd prefer to live if I did live in the residence halls. Of all the halls, that gives you the most bang for your buck (or at least a good amount of privacy too). I really don't think I'd enjoy living in the halls because apart from what I said above, I fear that it would be noisy. I know that we are all there to study and get some sort of degree, but those hallways are going to echo, I just know it (bad experience with American dorms). Even though there's a shared kitchen and we have our own bathrooms, I would feel more at home in a flat/house. The amount of independence doesn't change at all.
Collegiate Accommodation
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It may be worth looking into going into private halls rather than a University hall. College Green is ideal for international postgraduates, we offer 2 bed apartments and also studio rooms. We have plenty of the on-site facilities including an on-site gym, cinema room and study rooms. This means that you get your own space but there is plenty of opportunity to hang out and n=meet new friends. If you would like any more information, please just let me know.

I wish you luck in your search
http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-stud.../college-green

Laura
misslucyharries
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you still looking for a place to live? I have a spare room in a 5 bed house 10 mins from the university with 3 and 4th year students
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
19.1%
I'm not sure (2)
2.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (24)
26.97%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.37%
I'm not a current university student (43)
48.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise