The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Quatsch! Deutsch ist die wunderschönste Sprache auf der Welt! (Na, Spanisch ist auch sehr sehr schön :p: )
Reply 21
And you don't even remember THE German word?! :p: :biggrin:
Reply 22
olliemccowan
Well I went for Portuguese because it's pretty useful and sounds like an interesting language. Quite a few countries speak Portuguese (like Brazil :biggrin:), no-one really speaks German or Italian, and Arabic is just too much effort to learn the symbols and the language, so Portuguese wins :biggrin:

German = Spoken by more than 120 million people in 38 countries of the world

Italian = about 90 million people speak Italian as their first language worldwide.

Portuguese = about 135 million people

To say no-one really speaks German or Italian in comparison with Portguese doesn't really stand :p:
Reply 23
Ronove
Quatsch! Deutsch ist die wunderschönste Sprache auf der Welt! (Na, Spanisch ist auch sehr sehr schön :p: )

:hello: Und :ditto: vor allem zu Spanisch.
Reply 24
Fleece
German = Spoken by more than 120 million people in 38 countries of the world

Italian = about 90 million people speak Italian as their first language worldwide.

Portuguese = about 135 million people

To say no-one really speaks German or Italian in comparison with Portguese doesn't really stand :p:

But you don't really want to talk to all the 90 or 135 million people, do you? :p:
38 countries speak German ?!?!! No way.
Reply 26
olliemccowan

Wikipedia is your friend.
Reply 27
Jammertal
But you don't really want to talk to all the 90 or 135 million people, do you? :p:

I might :p:
Reply 28
olliemccowan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_language

according to this...
Reply 29
Fleece won.
Reply 30
Oohhh interesting, I already knew the stats about number of speakers though, I used to go on Wikipedia at school when I was bored and see how far I could get away from the first article I read by clicking on a link that interested me in each one:biggrin:
And NO speaking in languages I can't understand:mad: !!! Only speak in English or Spanish. French to a degree I suppose, Latin if you're that sad and I could make a stab at understanding Italian, but that's it! I haven't started learning a new language yet:rolleyes:

Well to be honest that doesn't say much. It just says it is spoken in those countries, so as long as 1 person in Namibia for example can speak German it counts in the list. Plus I was more talking about countries that have German as their main language, and thats only Germany and all the neighbouring countries.
Reply 32

Congrats you get pos rep tomorrow:smile:!
Also you haven't voted Fleece, I'm interested to know your opinion, don't you do both Italian and German at uni?
EDIT: and now whoever is the 80th person gets pos rep on Tuesday! (this is going faster than I thought)
Reply 33
I'm always amazed what people do get rep. *makes 46 posts* :p: :biggrin:
Reply 34
And the poll so far:
German, Arabic and Portuguese are all joint first with 3 votes each, and Italian is second with 2 votes. If it ends a draw I'm gonna be annoyed:mad:
Come on people, only 7 days to go!
Reply 35
paddylad
Congrats you get pos rep tomorrow:smile:!
Also you haven't voted Fleece, I'm interested to know your opinion, don't you do both Italian and German at uni?
EDIT: and now whoever is the 80th person gets pos rep on Tuesday! (this is going faster than I thought)

Eh, rep? for what?

Hmm, im not sure. I was trying to decide but then i couldnt so i decided not to vote!!

Obviously I love German and Italian :biggrin: and i can't really choose between - and i also want to learn arabic next so that would be good too. But i'd probably say German - i think you'd enjoy the challenge.
Italian. By far the easiest to learn in a summer considering your background in Spanish, French and Latin.
Reply 37
Fleece
Eh, rep? for what?

Hmm, im not sure. I was trying to decide but then i couldnt so i decided not to vote!!

Obviously I love German and Italian :biggrin: and i can't really choose between - and i also want to learn arabic next so that would be good too. But i'd probably say German - i think you'd enjoy the challenge.

I got bored (well actually that could be used as a reason for most things I do) and decided to have rep as an incentive for posting in this thread, and your post was the lucky number:biggrin:
I know, I choose 4 languages that I'd like to learn someday when making the poll. I think you're right about German, but we'll see what the poll says:biggrin: Also out of the 4 languages given, German is the one where I know the most already (I've picked up a fair amount of random sentences from having quite a lot of Germans at my school, but they pretty much all revolve around the word gebemutter, ironic as I'm swul myself)
Reply 38
paddylad
I got bored (well actually that could be used as a reason for most things I do) and decided to have rep as an incentive for posting in this thread, and your post was the lucky number:biggrin:
I know, I choose 4 languages that I'd like to learn someday when making the poll. I think you're right about German, but we'll see what the poll says:biggrin: Also out of the 4 languages given, German is the one where I know the most already (I've picked up a fair amount of random sentences from having quite a lot of Germans at my school, but they pretty much all revolve around the word gebemutter, ironic as I'm swul myself)

Oh i see, cool!

what's a gebemutter?

only thing i can think of is Gebärmutter (womb/uterus) :confused:
Reply 39
Fleece
Oh i see, cool!

what's a gebemutter?

only thing i can think of is Gebärmutter (womb/uterus) :confused:

Nope that's the one. My phrases generally revolve around me asking people how their Gebärmutter is, where their Gebärmutter is, what their Gebärmutter is called and so on. I believe my knowledge of German also extends to hover craft and bouncy castle (stumbled on the latter because it's almost the same word as the former), and of course various swear words and insults.

Latest

Trending

Trending