Lisah:)
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello!
I was wondering if there was someone who could help me choose my A-Levels or give me advice as I'm sincerely stuck.
I'm hugely interested in Biochemistry or the Biomedical Sciences and I definitely want to take it it to Higher Education but I have no idea what A-Levels to take.
Trust me, I've done lots of research into this but still feel absolutely lost without a doubt. I only have a week left to decide my A-Levels and apply for them too! I know I've left it so late... I'm an idiot. Apologies, I'm rambling.
Anyhow, I know I'm definitely taking Biology and Chemistry however I have no idea what next. I considered Physics and just doing the whole Science thing but I hate Physics with more than just my heart. I have no passion for it whatsoever although I do get A* in all the tests we've done to my utter shock.
Theres also the issue that I'm little more than horrendous at Mathematics which hinders the option of Physics I suppose.
Now I'm considering Economics but I'm not certain how useful that would be exactly, it jut looks quite interesting. Psychology? But some universities don't exactly consider it an official 'science' do they? Which is slightly irritating. History, a communication subject may be useful apparently. I have no major issues with History, I wouldn't say I'm particularly passionate about it but I don't find it impossible to deal with. The past doesn't interest me much. Computing? Its always good to be ahead with technology right? Considering we're at the peak of technological advancements right? But again, universities are ridiculously traditional and are reluctant at admitting students with 'new' subjects and regardless, I'm unsure whether it would be useful for a future in Biochemistry/Bio-medical Science. I also considered French just because I'm in love with the language and took it for GCSE but I'm scared it may be a 'waste of a subject'.

Apologies for the essay, carried away a little. I'm totally open to any other combinations and suggestions or thoughts you guys have and appreciate all and any help. Thank you!!
whoami?!
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
biology and chemistry are a must for biochemistry! But don't worry about the other two subjects, pick subjects you're good at and feel passionately about because all you need to do is get a good grade in your third subjects and uni's aren't really picky in what that third subject is as long as you've got chem and bio and a good grade in whatever your other subject is. It may be useful to pick a subject that is totally non science related so you can show how diverse you are and have a broader range of skills. These other subjects can also help you to write your personal statement and will make you look more unique as you would have gained a range of skills from these non-related subjects.

sorry if i didn't make sense and if i've repeated myself quite a lot! xD

HOPE I HELPED
Rep:
(Original post by whoami?!)
biology and chemistry are a must for biochemistry! But don't worry about the other two subjects, pick subjects you're good at and feel passionately about because all you need to do is get a good grade in your third subjects and uni's aren't really picky in what that third subject is as long as you've got chem and bio and a good grade in whatever your other subject is. It may be useful to pick a subject that is totally non science related so you can show how diverse you are and have a broader range of skills. These other subjects can also help you to write your personal statement and will make you look more unique as you would have gained a range of skills from these non-related subjects.

sorry if i didn't make sense and if i've repeated myself quite a lot! xD

HOPE I HELPED
Thank you! That's actually really helpful! I think i will take History since it' essay based which'll hopefully teach me new skills that aren't just retaining knowledge and regurgitating it. If I could ask for one ore little thing? What are your thoughts on Computing versus French?
whoami?!
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lisah:))
Thank you! That's actually really helpful! I think i will take History since it' essay based which'll hopefully teach me new skills that aren't just retaining knowledge and regurgitating it. If I could ask for one ore little thing? What are your thoughts on Computing versus French?
good luck with history, i hear it's really hard! But it'll all be worth it in the end when you get a good grade

Do you mean computing and french as a levels?
Exon
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Although it isn't required, Maths is definitely one of the more useful A-levels to have.

However, if you feel it's not for you, you could always opt for something different. What they're really looking for is Chemistry and Biology.
Rep:
good luck with history, i hear it's really hard! But it'll all be worth it in the end when you get a good grade

Do you mean computing and french as a levels?
Yes! As A-Levels
whoami?!
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yes! As A-Levels
i did french for gcse and thought that was pretty hard! But computing seems really easy but will give you many skills as biochemists i would assume frequently use computers and stuff.

But i would suggest, if you can, take french as it'll look better (in my opinion anyway)

when do you have to pick your a levels by?
vhvjhdbhfh
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
i've applied to do biomedical sciences at uni and i do chemistry, biology, and maths at a2 also geography at AS. for biomedical science courses they generally want biology and chemistry, and then usually one other 'science' which includes maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
i did french for gcse and thought that was pretty hard! But computing seems really easy but will give you many skills as biochemists i would assume frequently use computers and stuff.

But i would suggest, if you can, take french as it'll look better (in my opinion anyway)

when do you have to pick your a levels by?
Computing looks terrifying to me! Although I am a slight technophobe. I have to pick them by Friday! Do you think its worth taking all 5 at AS.. as in French, Computing, Chemistry and Biology and History? Simply due to my indecisive nature.. Or should just flip a coin?
Rep:
(Original post by vhvjhdbhfh)
i've applied to do biomedical sciences at uni and i do chemistry, biology, and maths at a2 also geography at AS. for biomedical science courses they generally want biology and chemistry, and then usually one other 'science' which includes maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my sixth-form they offer a 'Maths for Science' course which is compulsory as an AS, d'you think I'd be alright with that? Because I really would prefer not taking Maths, I'm not the mathematical sort you see. I do get A/A* but I i have no love for the subject, but if I must take it to help my future then I'll happily sacrifice French/Computing.
Paralove
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Just inputting that French will never be a waste of a subject. You get so much out of it!!!

Your two sciences plus History and French are good. AS maths is way easier than A2 so you could just do it to AS and then drop it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
whoami?!
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Computing looks terrifying to me! Although I am a slight technophobe. I have to pick them by Friday! Do you think its worth taking all 5 at AS.. as in French, Computing, Chemistry and Biology and History? Simply due to my indecisive nature.. Or should just flip a coin?
I would agree with paralove and select french!!

i don't think you should do 5 a levels unless you really know you can work hard on all those exams, because there's so much to learn and do and so little time!
Dinpat23
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi,I’m 2021 student.So, Do I need to have Biology in my 3 subjects in A-level for Biochemistry as I’m taking 4 subjects at this moment?
And between (biology Math chemistry) and (Chemistry Math physics), which one is better for apply UCAS in major universities in UK?
Please reply me Thank you so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (54)
67.5%
In the post (3)
3.75%
Text (12)
15%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (11)
13.75%

Watched Threads