A-Level Courses for PPE Watch

Owen Molloy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, all. Lately I have been considering the A-Levels I wish to take next year. After Sixth Form, I hope to study PPE at Oxford. I have a few choices about my options.

I am rather certain that I will take Statistics and History at A-Level, but I was also considering taking German as I am good at it and I have heard universities like to see it on applications. Is this true? Also, I have been in a predicament over deciding whether to take RS/Philosophy and Ethics or English Literature. While I think I would prefer the former, Oxford is obviously rather competitive and I have been wondering whether taking English Literature would help my chances of getting in. I wouldn't mind if this was the case, as I still enjoy both subjects.

Finally, I would like to ask overall if my choices matter at all (to a reasonable extent), as long as I get the necessary grades.
eggs_and_bacon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
English literature is a good shout for PPE - it's good at teaching you to critically appreciate texts and structure an argument (similarly to history). Philosophy and Ethics is a pretty satisfactory alternative though, if you would really enjoy it more. Modern languages are also highly regarded.

However, the most important thing will be the grades you get. Choose the subjects which you will enjoy and be able to put a lot of effort into, because it's those As and A*s that will persuade Oxford to interview you.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What about Economics? It's relatively easy and it makes sense if you want to spend 1/3 of your time studying it.
MalteseMalteser
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths, Economics, History and/or Politics

Maths and Economics for the Economics part of the course, the History or Politics for the Politics part. If you take Politics A2 there can sometimes be some Political Philosophy included, which will obviously help with the Philosophy part of the degree.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/ppe_at_oxford

Lots of useful info, including A level subject requirements.
Owen Molloy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Apologies for the delayed reply. Thank you all for the answers I have received. I considered taking Economics but my school hasn't got a very good Economics course due to a lack of teachers. I have heard, however, that they have brought in new teachers for it now and so it something I could consider. I mainly just wondered about the important of the subject itself compared to the grades, success of the interview etc but thank you for all the information.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (118)
17.72%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (70)
10.51%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (117)
17.57%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (99)
14.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (64)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (198)
29.73%

Watched Threads