UWE or Falmouth to study film? Watch

zwanz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im trying to chose between the UWE film and screen writing, and the Falmouth Film course to pick as my insurance choices for uni. My firm choice is goldsmiths and I'm pretty sure i can get into it, but I'm looking at these other two uni's just incase i don't meet the grade.

What would you say would be the better option? have you studied there before? any information would be greatly appreciated

( i am veering towards UWE as bristol has a big documentary and animation scene, plus the city is a more vibrant and multicultural environment compared to Falmouth, but I would like to get an idea of what people think of the courses etc)

Thanks
amboo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey im just about to graduate from BA Film at falmouth. Put it as your last choice. It's still a really good course, in terms of academia and philosophical attitudes to filmmaking but the course is very very theory driven. If you're looking to go into practical filmmaking (like i was) you'll be disappointed. I expected to at least be fairly well acquainted with the industry standard of practice but we literally skimmed the surface when it came to hand-on learning about film techniques. However, the screenwriting has actually be really good ive written several scripts for shorts quite successfully.

I feel like I could definitely take on scholarly film writing if i wanted to, but unfortunately I want to go into documentary filmmaking so now I'm looking at doing an MA in Documentary and Features in Bristol. I am very aware that a degree/qualification still doesn't really count for much when actually going into the industry but I want to do it for networking/technical learning and guest lectures. Plus ive lived in Bristol and i know as a city i definitely prefer the vibes.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have about Falmouth. I don't mean to **** it off either cos i have really enjoyed my time here, i just thought i'd be honest about the course.
Jack Frost
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm a first year animation student at UWE, and I definitely recommend it. Bristol is a fantastic place to be, especially if you're interested in animation as there are do companies around.

If you have any questions, just ask.
maverickpro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry to disappoint, but the UWE Film / Film and Screenwriting courses is no longer accepting new applicants. Unfortunately, UWE, despite the fact that this will have been in the pipeline for some months / years, seem to have a bad habit of attempting to close arts / humanities courses after everybody has already made their UCAS choices (the Politics an IR department was very nearly closed just over a year ago).
solar222222
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know if it's any good for film production?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (333)
15.6%
The paper was reasonable (1165)
54.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (461)
21.59%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
8.24%

Watched Threads