The Student Room Group

Why are gym goers seen as shallow and self-centred??

I'm talking about weight lifting here.

Basically, I go to the gym mainly to improve for sport, because I enjoy lifting weights (a bit), the health benefits and of course to try and look better to the opposite sex, as well as other life benefits in terms of respect.

Why do a number of girls (and boys) look down on lads pumping iron in order to attract members of the opposite sex as a bad thing? Surely they are justified in trying to extenuate their natural beauty, of lack of it thereof, by creating a physique that can set themselves up ahead of 80-90% of guys (more than 10% go to the gym but not many have the dedication/work ethic/knowledge to get 'ripped'). If anything, it should be applauded. And this is coming from someone who's only focus isn't to try and look better, although it obviously does play a part and I would do that alone if it wasn't for other things.

I know some girls that think the bodybuilder look is disgusting, but it takes a decades of hard work 3-5 times a week consistently with the right diet to get there, and often steroids. Many girls acknowledge that they prefer a toned physique, nice arms, nice thighs, chiseled chest, big back, six pack abs all as a benefit and the improvement in facial structures that comes with being 8-10% body fat. Why would everyone not accept that it is perfectly justifiable to go to the gym to look better beyond what you have been given through circumstances of birth luck?

It is an enjoyable hobby that takes max 1-2 hours 4-5 times a week - hardly much time and it isn't easy.

Discuss.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BCcfc92
Basically, I go to the gym mainly to improve for sport, because I enjoy lifting weights (a bit), the health benefits and of course to try and look better to the opposite sex, as well as other life benefits in terms of respect.

Why do a number of girls (and boys) look down on lads pumping iron in order to attract members of the opposite sex as a bad thing? Surely they are justified in trying to extenuate their natural beauty, of lack of it thereof, by creating a physique that can set themselves up ahead of 80-90% of guys (more than 10% go to the gym but not many have the dedication/work ethic/knowledge to get 'ripped'). If anything, it should be applauded. And this is coming from someone who's only focus isn't to try and look better, although it obviously does play a part and I would do that alone if it wasn't for other things.

I know some girls that think the bodybuilder look is disgusting, but it takes a decades of hard work 3-5 times a week consistently with the right diet to get there, and often steroids. Many girls acknowledge that they prefer a toned physique, nice arms, nice thighs, chiseled chest, big back, six pack abs all as a benefit and the improvement in facial structures that comes with being 8-10% body fat. Why would everyone not accept that it is perfectly justifiable to go to the gym to look better beyond what you have been given through circumstances of birth luck?

It is an enjoyable hobby that takes max 1-2 hours 4-5 times a week - hardly much time and it isn't easy.

Discuss.

well Im the same as a female I enjoy lifting weights and having as low bf as possible but it puts men off they just see it as disgusting. I don't think people who lift get that much more respect than anyone else. If you live in an area where things are sorted out by fights maybe put these days people are boring its all about career, how much you earn and for women..make up, clothes and hairstyle lol.

I like the toned muscular look (within reason) though on both males and females even if other people don't.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by civilstudent
well Im the same as a female I enjoy lifting weights and having as low bf as possible but it puts men off they just see it as disgusting. I don't think people who lift get that much more respect than anyone else. If you live in an area where things are sorted out by fights maybe put these days people are boring its all about career, how much you earn and for women..make up, clothes and hairstyle lol.

I like the toned muscular look (within reason) though on both males and females even if other people don't.

I like athletic and sport looking females as a big bonus over skinny/slightly chubbier women. That means visible abs and a nice bum mainly. Women never get 'too' big naturally.

I understand that social status and money is more important these days but surely girls still have some ancestral senses of attractiveness and what is wrong with men trying to get a little bit muscular?
Original post by BCcfc92

Discuss.

I didn't know they were. I certainly have never thought that about gym goers
Reply 4
Original post by King Kebab
I didn't know they were. I certainly have never thought that about gym goers

I'm more so talking about the girls who talk about boys who lift weights in that way.
Original post by BCcfc92
I'm more so talking about the girls who talk about boys who lift weights in that way.

Ok, I don't think most girls do think that either.

What I would say is people (guys and girls) get pissed off when people advertise that they go to the gym 24 / 7 such as constant updates on fb. I have never came across anyone guy or girl who sees people who go to the gym as shalloew
Moved to Fitness :smile:
I don't think lowly of gym goers. I wish I was one of them.
I don't think they are seen as shallow and self-centred.

If someone wants to dedicate themselves to self-improvement thats great and most people that properly lift weights are humble, focused, dedicated, similar qualities to people that do martial arts.

The ones that are annoying are ones that have to constantly self-promote by talking about gym 24/7, posting about it on social media all the time, posting selfies in the mirror of their body etc or teenage wannabes that copy all that 'misc' speak thinking that it makes them sound cool, u aware brah?
Reply 9
Fair enough. I guess the consensus is that those who post a lot on Facebook/Twitter but aren't actually doing that well are annoying, but honest weight-lifters are more than fine. I guess those people mostly get out of this phase after being a teenager anyway.
Original post by BCcfc92
I'm talking about weight lifting here.

Discuss.

Some people think that spending 1 hour+ a day on working out, plus all of the extra time cooking 6 meals a day etc. when you are already in good shape is a bit narcissistic. We're not talking working out to get healthy which most would consider essential, I mean body building here, working out in front of a mirror and that kind of thing.

Just like others might think people who have a hobby like gaming or flying model planes are wasting their time, others feel the same about excessive exercise.

I agree that people with the dedication to get ripped should be applauded, but I can also see why some people think it's a waste of time and self-centred.
I agree with you, however most people that do look down are the ones that do not invest the time and effort into going to the gym to get a fitter and healthier body.
Original post by BCcfc92
I like athletic and sport looking females as a big bonus over skinny/slightly chubbier women. That means visible abs and a nice bum mainly. Women never get 'too' big naturally.

I understand that social status and money is more important these days but surely girls still have some ancestral senses of attractiveness and what is wrong with men trying to get a little bit muscular?

yea theres nothing wrong imo and I prefere the muscular look Id feel more protected.

Only judgement I tend to have (which obv isn't always right) when I see muscular guys is that they might be players. They tend to have a higher self esteem than most so why would they stay in a relationship with me when they feel confident enough to be able to get a much more attractive woman.. surely they don't do all that work just for one woman lol.

Thats the only negative thing I can think of but I love six packs and biceps on a man, as long as he's not one of those who walks with both arms raised up from his sides. Why do they do that:confused: That much muscle that their arms cant touch their sides..
Original post by Hedgeman49
Some people think that spending 1 hour+ a day on working out, plus all of the extra time cooking 6 meals a day etc. when you are already in good shape is a bit narcissistic. We're not talking working out to get healthy which most would consider essential, I mean body building here, working out in front of a mirror and that kind of thing.

Just like others might think people who have a hobby like gaming or flying model planes are wasting their time, others feel the same about excessive exercise.

I agree that people with the dedication to get ripped should be applauded, but I can also see why some people think it's a waste of time and self-centred.

People are self centered in other ways though for example most women are always shopping, fussing about what to dress themselves in, what makeup to wear. Whereas I just wear anything Ive been told I have plain crap hair on numerous occasions lol but I put all my effort into getting a good body through the gym/exercise instead.
People are self centered in other ways though for example most women are always shopping, fussing about what to dress themselves in, what makeup to wear. Whereas I just wear anything Ive been told I have plain crap hair on numerous occasions lol but I put all my effort into getting a good body through the gym/exercise instead.

I'm not saying other people aren't. I just understand how some people can come to that conclusion about bodybuilders.
Because it's much easier to drag down those around you, than it is to drag yourself above others

EDIT: A similar thing is how much very beautiful women are hated by women generally and how much everyone hates top businessmen
(edited 10 years ago)
They should be working :smile:
There's a guy I know who is obsessed with the gym. He goes every day for at least two hours and occasionally goes twice a day. He then posts pictures of himself and his brother working out on facebook (not in a poser sort of way like a selfie or anything). He doesn't come out or socialize with anyone at college because he is too busy at the gym.

It's only people with an obsession like that where it makes me think someone cares a bit too much about the way they look.

But hey it's up to that person if they want to live like that, im not gonna stop them.

Only judgement I tend to have (which obv isn't always right) when I see muscular guys is that they might be players. They tend to have a higher self esteem than most so why would they stay in a relationship with me when they feel confident enough to be able to get a much more attractive woman.. surely they don't do all that work just for one woman lol.

This part interested me. When I was skinny and lacked confidence and was really shy I attracted and got with loads more girls than I did when I became muscular and confident (prior to meeting my gf). Perhaps this was a reason.
Reply 19

Exactly this.

What is wrong with going to the gym to look more attractive to females who find six packs and a toned physique all round more attractive. Say that male can't get much attention naturally, your physique is the biggest way you can attract more women, maybe just one that you really like, or lots - each to their own. Apart from going to the orthodontist and fixing your teeth, staying well groomed and clean with a good haircut etc and dressing well, what else can you do? It's interesting that you think some weight-lifters look a bit like players... I guess if you stay humble and normal as your physique improved, it's only a good thing, right? I wouldn't everyone changing too much if they had a shredded six pack, nice arms and toned everything apart from a bit more self-confidence. Some probably go the other way though.

Latest