The Student Room Group

Graduates what advice would you give to new uni students

I will start university in September. I am going to be studying Management. I am aiming for a 2:1 minimum but really want a first. What sort of work experience did you do/ have atm?

I either want to work in accounting/marketing or as a business analyst.

At the moment, I only have 2 weeks voluntary work and a year's work experience at a fast food place as a till operator.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ineedtorevise127
I will start university in September. I am going to be studying Management. I am aiming for a 2:1 minimum but really want a first. What sort of work experience did you do/ have atm?

At the moment, I only have 2 weeks voluntary work and a year's work experience at a fast food place as a till operator.

If you want to work in accounting then try and get yourself a summer internship, preferably at a larger firm. If you get one and do well you could all but guarantee yourself a graduate job before you even enter final year.
Original post by Hedgeman49
If you want to work in accounting then try and get yourself a summer internship, preferably at a larger firm. If you get one and do well you could all but guarantee yourself a graduate job before you even enter final year.

That's true but what about if I don't find any intern ships would volunteering and extra curricular activities at university look good on a graduate CV?
That's true but what about if I don't find any intern ships would volunteering and extra curricular activities at university look good on a graduate CV?

Yes, of course they would, as long as they add value.

Doesn't add value: "I was a member of the judo club"
Does add value: "I was [insert committee member] for the judo club, negotiating £x of sponsorship deals and leading the club to the xyz championship"

Obviously making sure you have evidence to support this should you be asked in an interview. Don't fabricate anything.

Use your University careers service and think about your employability from day 1. You are throwing your money and academic effort away if you get to graduation and still have no idea what job you want, how to write a CV or how to handle an interview.
Reply 5
drop out

From my experiences, those who get firsts are those who get to know each Lecturer quite well and understand fully what sort of work is expected from them. But you can still do pretty damn well by studying the Grade Descriptors and making sure you've done everything in the 'A/1:1' category. It also helps to be very well read, but to be able to pull all you've read together. Thats classed as 'writing critically', took me about two years to understand that!

Experience is also very good in terms of job prospects after. Everyone gets a 2:1 these days, you need something to make you stand out from the crowd.

Watch out for the loss of motivation that inevitably comes around in second year. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 7
As a general point if you're looking to keep your coursework grades up, learn proper referencing in accordance with your uni's guidelines as soon as possible. In-text referencing and Bibliographies are a pain to start with, but once you get the hang of them they really are an easy way to pick up extra percentage points. You just have to pay attention to details, which quickly turns into a useful habit.
Reply 8
Another huge thing that most people dont think about.
Get the right friends. Get the friends that do get their heads down, do assessments on time, help each other, get to lectures on time etc.
Dont get dragged into a friendship group where they're permanently running late, struggling on assessments, not doing anything till last minute etc.

Your friendship groups will matter hugely as influences are obviously a big part of your uni life, especially if you plan on living with friends. Its a lot easier to do an assessment when you know everyone in the house is also studying as opposed to everyone in the house arranging some huge games tournament in your living room whilst you are trying to study.
Theres nothing worse than trying not to procrastinate while everyone else is just messing around and trying to get you to join them.
Reply 9
Spend more time making an interesting C.V. A first is nice but not having one hasn't held me back in the slightest.
Reply 10
Enjoy Uni, do Extra-Curriculars, travel the world, make friends and do internships.
Reply 11
Try to do extra curriculars - anything that will speak to an employer and show leadership/team skills.
Find out how to be student ambassador, try to become the 'treasurer' for your course's social gatherings.

Volunteer if possible, anything to show you're a people person.

Study. Study at least 1 hour for every hour of tuition there Is. It's easy to let it build up, but if you study early and pace yourself you can avoid being the 5am library monster cramming for your 9 o'clock exam with a red bull in hand. Do everything you can to avoid that!

And have fun. Yes, you will study, but at the same time, don't forget to have fun - you will have lots of time to do so outside of studying. You are in an enviable bubble where your free time is significant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's been a while since I posted here, but I have a new laptop and want to type loads! Here we go...

If I were able to give myself some advice before I entered my first year, it would have been that university is a once in a lifetime experience. Not just because everybody says it is, but rather, it attracts a plethora of students from around the UK, and indeed, the world, and also offers you the opportunity to become independent and bathe in all the positives that come with that - better friends, a more satisfying environment, meeting new people and feeling like you can take on the world.

These are opportunities that many people take for granted. While you have these 3 wonderful years, away from your parents and all the stuff you went through as a child (be it good or bad), take advantage of it. I mean take true advantage, because you don't want to look back and regret your time here. You've worked hard to be here, so enjoy it.

However, don't lose sight of why you're there. You need to create a career and a life for yourself after you've graduated. This is important. This is also why you need a healthy balance of good work ethic (to ensure you leave with at least a 2:1) and some strong work experience behind you. When I say strong, I don't mean a big 4 internship or a two week placement with the Mayor of London - this could be bar work, office temping, or really anything that shows you have a commitment and drive to work terrible hours under a terrible boss.

I can't stress that last point - employers want candidates with experience only partially because they kind of know what they're doing. They want any experience so they know their new hire won't just up and leave the minute things get tough, and that they have the drive and tenacity to continue to better themselves, learn and apply their knowledge elsewhere in the business. That's how a healthy business operates, and that's what employers want from you.

So, I'll repeat myself for the sake of clarity - take advantage of your time, but do not waste it. Remember that demonstrating a strong work ethic is just as important as getting a good degree.
That's true. Have you found a full time job yet?
Reply 14
Hi Guys, There have been some good points made in this forum and I just wanted to ask about work placements related to Actuary/Finance in the summer because I am in year 13 right now. Also, I wanted to ask, is a maths degree from KCL better than a maths degree from University of Manchester? Furthermore, I have heard students generally do an internship in the summer of their second year but I'm thinking of doing an internship in the first year and wanted guidance into how I could find an internship. Also, could someone help me out in how to write a good CV/cover letter including layout, what to include etc.

Thank you!
Nice. What will you be doing?
Reply 16
Get as much experience as possible because you will really need it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending