My laptop won't read burnt CDs or DVDs

Watch
emilyb96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi all,

As the title says, my laptop won't read burnt CDs or DVDs of any description unless it's burned them itself. It reads original CDs/DVDs and CDs its burnt itself, but recognises any other CDs/DVDs as blank disks.

It's starting to become a bit of a problem as it's happened on several occasions where I've had to go a very roundabout way to get things. For example, I ordered a cross stitch pattern off ebay, and it arrived as a document burnt onto a CD, which my laptop refused to recognise. At first I wondered if this was because it was a Chinese CD but it has also now happened with my friends' new EP (which I paid for and now can't read on my laptop) and with a DVD which my drama teacher wants me to watch...

Is there anything anyone knows which could rectify this problem?

Thanks!
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Very rarely have I seen a fix other than "buy a new drive" for this kind of issue. Some drives are just crap at reading burnt media from other PCs. Sometimes it's because the other writer is poor, sometimes it's because the actual disc doesn't get along with your drive (happens more than you'd think tbh).

So yeah, buy a new drive.

That, or tell people to get with the times and have download links for things!
emilyb96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Very rarely have I seen a fix other than "buy a new drive" for this kind of issue. Some drives are just crap at reading burnt media from other PCs. Sometimes it's because the other writer is poor, sometimes it's because the actual disc doesn't get along with your drive (happens more than you'd think tbh).

So yeah, buy a new drive.

That, or tell people to get with the times and have download links for things!
Ah. That's inconvenient, although it is the answer I was expecting :L Thanks for replying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.81%
I'm not sure (32)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (330)
47.97%

Watched Threads