The Student Room Group

Kicked out off maths!!!

Last week in my school there was mocks for a-levels and i took maths and all three science. today i received the results, was i in for a shock, i got A in physics and B in chemist and Biology. however i got a U in maths and due to me getting only an A in gcse maths i was kicked from my as course (yes my school is strict).Is there any way i can do the exam as a private candidate without emptying the bank. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.
Original post by tbx96
Last week in my school there was mocks for a-levels and i took maths and all three science. today i received the results, was i in for a shock, i got A in physics and B in chemist and Biology. however i got a U in maths and due to me getting only an A in gcse maths i was kicked from my as course (yes my school is strict).Is there any way i can do the exam as a private candidate without emptying the bank. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

That is really harsh, I have to say. Obviously a U isn't impressive, but I'm shocked that a school would kick you off the course for that. I don't know about the costs involved but I think that's the least of your concerns. If you only got a U with the support of teachers, how are you going to find it without the support of teachers?
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
That is really harsh, I have to say. Obviously a U isn't impressive, but I'm shocked that a school would kick you off the course for that. I don't know about the costs involved but I think that's the least of your concerns. If you only got a U with the support of teachers, how are you going to find it without the support of teachers?

after doing the exam, i knew i did horrible so i found a family friend who is currently doing a Phd in Engineering to help me and he agreed and i been to one of his lessons and they are very good and i know he can get me through a level.
Reply 3
Original post by tbx96
after doing the exam, i knew i did horrible so i found a family friend who is currently doing a Phd in Engineering to help me and he agreed and i been to one of his lessons and they are very good and i know he can get me through a level.

Before you try to sit the exams without the schools help I would try appealing to them and explaining your situation. Describe to them your plan to bring up your grades.
Reply 4
It seems you are probably not cut out for maths, and even if you were mentally capable (as an A suggests), it reflects poorly on your work ethic to be getting U's in a mock. Either drop maths and stay with three extremely respected A levels (which is still as much if not more than the majority of the country is doing right now), which should be more than enough for most courses, or don't, and take your chances at having to put an 'E' or below grade on your UCAS report and every other application in later life.
Reply 5
what if i dropped maths this year and carried on with three science and did it next year would uni look down on that.
Reply 6
Original post by tbx96
what if i dropped maths this year and carried on with three science and did it next year would uni look down on that.

Depends on what you want to do / where you want to go.

I.e if you had dreams to study at somewhere like imperial, your chances will probably be very slim whereas your chances are not that affected if you wanted to go somewhere like Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was really harsh of your school...
As for university, I think 3 sciences would be more than enough, but it depends entirely on what you want to do at university and what Uni you want to apply to as they will all have different requirements.
But here, those are fantastic grades for in my opinion, some of the hardest A levels you can do.

Quick Reply

Latest