JadeMay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I've just got my GCSE mock results back and they were pretty good apart from Maths.

English Literature A
English Language A
Mathematics B (4marks off an A)
Additional Science A
Textiles B
French A
German A
History A*
R.S A

For A-Level I would like to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I was hoping to get an A for Maths in the mocks as I need at least an A to study it at A-Level. Do you think I should choose something instead of Maths? If I didn't choose Maths I would choose either History, French or English literature. Can some past or present A-Level students give me some advice on any of the A-Level subjects mentioned above and whether I should A-Level Maths based on my mock result? Thanks in advance for your help!
JadeMay
Rep:
?
Does anyone have any advice?
Year11guy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't take my word for it but you might find A Level Maths quite hard. i'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but seeing as you got a B, you probably don't fully understand all the mathematical concepts yet which is quite important. I'm doing additional mathematics, it's like A Level Maths and I'm finding it quite hard but I got A* at GCSE Maths. However, I came back home today read over my revision book and found it quite straightforward. Anyway, what I guess I'm trying to say is that if you are commited to Maths and enjoy it then it doesn't matter.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JadeMay)
Hi, I've just got my GCSE mock results back and they were pretty good apart from Maths.

English Literature A
English Language A
Mathematics B (4marks off an A)
Additional Science A
Textiles B
French A
German A
History A*
R.S A

For A-Level I would like to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I was hoping to get an A for Maths in the mocks as I need at least an A to study it at A-Level. Do you think I should choose something instead of Maths? If I didn't choose Maths I would choose either History, French or English literature. Can some past or present A-Level students give me some advice on any of the A-Level subjects mentioned above and whether I should A-Level Maths based on my mock result? Thanks in advance for your help!
What are you hoping to study at uni.
I wouldnt worry about not being able to do maths yet- you where only 4 marks off an A in the mock exams. Just make sure you study hard for it, and if you can- find out which bits of the mock exam you didnt do so well in so you can focus on those areas.
kendellex
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maths isn't that bad in lower sixth especially. It's quite easy in lower sixth but gets harder in upper sixth. I say go for maths. I know people who got Bs in their GCSE and hit an A at AS. And if you don't like it you can drop it for A2 (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
JadeMay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Year11guy)
Don't take my word for it but you might find A Level Maths quite hard. i'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but seeing as you got a B, you probably don't fully understand all the mathematical concepts yet which is quite important. I'm doing additional mathematics, it's like A Level Maths and I'm finding it quite hard but I got A* at GCSE Maths. However, I came back home today read over my revision book and found it quite straightforward. Anyway, what I guess I'm trying to say is that if you are commited to Maths and enjoy it then it doesn't matter.
Ok thanks for the advice!
JammyGit07
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maths, Chemistry and Biology are all rather intense, just be sure your willing to work for it. Though saying that, if you enjoy them, then definitely do them
JadeMay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma:-))
What are you hoping to study at uni.
I wouldnt worry about not being able to do maths yet- you where only 4 marks off an A in the mock exams. Just make sure you study hard for it, and if you can- find out which bits of the mock exam you didnt do so well in so you can focus on those areas.
I'd like to study Medicine or Biochemistry. And thanks for the advice!
JadeMay
Rep:
?
(Original post by kendellex)
Maths isn't that bad in lower sixth especially. It's quite easy in lower sixth but gets harder in upper sixth. I say go for maths. I know people who got Bs in their GCSE and hit an A at AS. And if you don't like it you can drop it for A2 (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thanks.
JadeMay
Rep:
?
(Original post by JammyGit07)
Maths, Chemistry and Biology are all rather intense, just be sure your willing to work for it. Though saying that, if you enjoy them, then definitely do them
Ok thanks!
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JadeMay)
I'd like to study Medicine or Biochemistry. And thanks for the advice!
Like someone else said,you could always drop maths at the end of AS if you wanted to.
Yo dont need for maths for medicine anyway. Well at top unis like oxbridge you do, but for quite a few others you dont. Im not sure about biochemistry. You would have to look on the unis websites to see what they say.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (110)
27.5%
England (139)
34.75%
Belgium (30)
7.5%
Germany (41)
10.25%
Spain (9)
2.25%
Italy (34)
8.5%
Netherlands (13)
3.25%
Other (Tell us who) (24)
6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise