The Student Room Group

Cambridge A101 Post Graduate Medicine 2015 applicants

Hi, I want to do Medicine at Hughes Hall College in at the University of Cambridge. I have already got an upper 2nd class degree in Optometry and achieved ABB in Maths, Chem and Physics. How would I go about applying? Has anyone gone via the Optometry route into Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darj888
Hi, I want to do Medicine at Hughes Hall College in at the University of Cambridge. I have already got an upper 2nd class degree in Optometry and achieved ABB in Maths, Chem and Physics. How would I go about applying? Has anyone gone via the Optometry route into Medicine?

dont bother. 1st class minimum
Reply 2
Original post by darj888

Hello :smile:

How unkind of the previous poster, that is not true at all. However a First would probably make your application more competitive, as would more A grades at A Level, this does not mean that your work experience etc will not counter this when they score your application. Here is the link to admissions details for the CGCM at Hughes:
http://www.hughes.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate-course-in-medicine/

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
Hiya,

I'm also thinking about applying to Cambridge for 2015 entry, although I'm not sure which college just yet! I have a 2.i from Oxford in Classics and AAA at A level in Latin, Greek, and French. I'm doing a Chemistry A Level this year and will then do AS Levels in Biology and Physics next year. Best advice is to make sure you have good work experience, have done lots of wider reading into areas of medicine that interest you, and that your personal statement and references are absolutely stellar. They do say that most applicants have AAA at A Level, but it's probably worth giving the college a ring and chatting to someone in the admissions office about it, as they'll be able to give you some good advice on your options and chances.

All the best!
Reply 4
Original post by darj888

Original post by JenniB22
Hiya,

I'm also thinking about applying to Cambridge for 2015 entry, although I'm not sure which college just yet! I have a 2.i from Oxford in Classics and AAA at A level in Latin, Greek, and French. I'm doing a Chemistry A Level this year and will then do AS Levels in Biology and Physics next year. Best advice is to make sure you have good work experience, have done lots of wider reading into areas of medicine that interest you, and that your personal statement and references are absolutely stellar. They do say that most applicants have AAA at A Level, but it's probably worth giving the college a ring and chatting to someone in the admissions office about it, as they'll be able to give you some good advice on your options and chances.

All the best!

Also in addition to UCAS, Cambridge require a separate application form and two references, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to complete this prior to the 15th October deadline. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Have you considered other schools?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by kristia
Hey All! :-)

I'm applying this upcoming 2015 cycle and thought I'd come on and say HI :-)
Just thought id say a little bit about myself:
I have been a EMT with the ambulance service for the past 3 years and worked for the Dpt Of international development as a Aid worker.
I'm applying for Cambridge Graduate entry with the following:

GSCE Equivalent:
Level 2 Literacy A*
Level 2 Numeracy A*
Level 2 Applied science A*
Advanced GCE (A levels)
Chemistry: A
Health and social care: A
Human Biology: A
Mathematics: A
Physics: B
Natural Sciences BSc
2:1
Medical Sciences/Pharmacokinetics Foundation degree FdS
Distinction
Medicinal Chemistry MSc
Distinction
Public Health MPH
Currently Studying

I'm 25 now and my life goal is to read medicine however I'm optimistic of going through the trepidation of UCAS all over again :-(

Any advice?

Hello are you international? I ask because I noticed your GCSE equivalents, and I don't think Cambridge admit international graduates on to the graduate course (UK/EU only) instead they follow an affiliate route whereby the six year programme is completed in five years. If you aren't sure, I would encourage you to contact them to clarify which programme you are eligible to apply for. Best of luck. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
No I'm UK student,

Due to unforeseen circumstances I was unable to complete my regular GCSE'S and did the equivalent so that I could do my Full A'Levels.

I'm applying to Cambridge 4yr,Birmingham 4yr, St George 4r and Lancaster 5yr.

Original post by D0lly
Hello are you international? I ask because I noticed your GCSE equivalents, and I don't think Cambridge admit international graduates on to the graduate course (UK/EU only) instead they follow an affiliate route whereby the six year programme is completed in five years. If you aren't sure, I would encourage you to contact them to clarify which programme you are eligible to apply for. Best of luck. :smile:
Reply 8
I really want to apply here but dont know if they accept scottish qualification. I have an MPharm and 2/3 years experience in HC.
Reply 9
Original post by Ama2007
I really want to apply here but dont know if they accept scottish qualification. I have an MPharm and 2/3 years experience in HC.

Email admissions at one of the colleges who admit graduate medics (Lucy Cavendish, Wolfson, or Hughes Hall) and ask. Also find out when the open day is for the CGCM course as I found going to this invaluable.

Original post by kristia
No I'm UK student,

Due to unforeseen circumstances I was unable to complete my regular GCSE'S and did the equivalent so that I could do my Full A'Levels.

I'm applying to Cambridge 4yr,Birmingham 4yr, St George 4r and Lancaster 5yr.

I still think you ought to contact them and check that the GCSE equivalents are accepted. :smile: (see above)
Reply 10
Any advice on the individual application form and where to obtain it?

Original post by D0lly
Also in addition to UCAS, Cambridge require a separate application form and two references, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to complete this prior to the 15th October deadline. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by kristia
Any advice on the individual application form and where to obtain it?

The information is quite readily available on their website:

"Applicants for this course must complete a Graduate Course in Medicine application form, in addition to their UCAS application. The deadline for receipt of the completed Graduate Course in Medicine application form is 15 October. The form will be available on the University’s website from the beginning of July in the year of application, at http://www.study.cam.ac.uk but applicants can only be made from 1 September when the UCAS application becomes available."

As for advice, I'm not sure how much changes on a yearly basis, so just ensure to ask the admissions team at your chosen college for any help regarding this. Any advice you find on ancillary sites may be out of date. I was told that they do not look at your UCAS personal statement at all, so make sure that you include everything on the application form (don't assume they read the UCAS personal statement in addition). But again it may be worth checking how things are to be done this year.

The deadline of the 15th October is the deadline for EVERYTHING and that means your two references, which you are responsible for chasing up and ensuring are with your college by that deadline. They are not flexible on this. Sending post via a trackable service is best for peace of mind.
Reply 12
Many thanks for this :smile::wink:
Why do they ask for a individual application and for your transcripts giving
everything is already on UCAS?
References should be no problem however with my cirts and transcripts its Slightly annoying as I now have to dig out all my previous transcripts :angry:

Original post by D0lly
The information is quite readily available on their website:

"Applicants for this course must complete a Graduate Course in Medicine application form, in addition to their UCAS application. The deadline for receipt of the completed Graduate Course in Medicine application form is 15 October. The form will be available on the University’s website from the beginning of July in the year of application, at http://www.study.cam.ac.uk but applicants can only be made from 1 September when the UCAS application becomes available."

As for advice, I'm not sure how much changes on a yearly basis, so just ensure to ask the admissions team at your chosen college for any help regarding this. Any advice you find on ancillary sites may be out of date. I was told that they do not look at your UCAS personal statement at all, so make sure that you include everything on the application form (don't assume they read the UCAS personal statement in addition). But again it may be worth checking how things are to be done this year.

The deadline of the 15th October is the deadline for EVERYTHING and that means your two references, which you are responsible for chasing up and ensuring are with your college by that deadline. They are not flexible on this. Sending post via a trackable service is best for peace of mind.
Reply 13
Original post by kristia
Many thanks for this :smile::wink:
Why do they ask for a individual application and for your transcripts giving
everything is already on UCAS?
References should be no problem however with my cirts and transcripts its Slightly annoying as I now have to dig out all my previous transcripts :angry:

I know it does seem fussy. But it will save time in the long run as if you gain interview at other universities you then have to begin the faf of sending them all your certificates and transcript then, so they all need the information it just depends when they require it. As for needing your transcript, I think their marking process is very thorough, they may look at module marks in your degree - that is just me speculating though. As for requiring their own application form, you'll probably understand why when you see it, but they ask more in depth specific questions, so rather than having to trawl your personal statement trying to find aspects of it that fit their requirements, they straight up ask you to answer questions which they require in order to assess you. Personally I found the process much more transparent than the unknown of writing a personal statement and guessing what the universities would specifically be looking for (ie you don't know whether to talk more about work experience, care work, your life experience etc. especially when all three universities are looking at slightly different things!).

Anyway best of luck with the application, which college have you chosen?
Reply 14
Thanks for the reply and info :rolleyes: really appreciate it :wink:

From what you described and as annoying as it is it makes sense and sounds pretty straight forward:colondollar: I am just very anxious about filling this extra form out.
Just have to dig out those transcripts and certificates:eek::confused:

I'm applying to Hughes Hall, It also makes things easier for me with them not requiring the BMAT therefore I can solely concentrate my efforts upon the UKAT for my other choices :rolleyes:

Original post by D0lly
I know it does seem fussy. But it will save time in the long run as if you gain interview at other universities you then have to begin the faf of sending them all your certificates and transcript then, so they all need the information it just depends when they require it. As for needing your transcript, I think their marking process is very thorough, they may look at module marks in your degree - that is just me speculating though. As for requiring their own application form, you'll probably understand why when you see it, but they ask more in depth specific questions, so rather than having to trawl your personal statement trying to find aspects of it that fit their requirements, they straight up ask you to answer questions which they require in order to assess you. Personally I found the process much more transparent than the unknown of writing a personal statement and guessing what the universities would specifically be looking for (ie you don't know whether to talk more about work experience, care work, your life experience etc. especially when all three universities are looking at slightly different things!).

Anyway best of luck with the application, which college have you chosen?
Do you think they accept students without advanced highers? I am Scottish student and yes I have contacted them no reply ..unfortunately!!
Reply 16
Original post by Ama2007
Do you think they accept students without advanced highers? I am Scottish student and yes I have contacted them no reply ..unfortunately!!

Did you contact one of the three colleges, or a more generalised admissions department? The colleges are far more helpful and quicker to respond.
Reply 17
Original post by JenniB22
Hiya,

All the best!

•

[INDENT]Hey jenni,
Are you still considering graduate medicine at Cambridge? I'm an engineer at oxford thinking of doing graduate medicine too at Cambridge!...though I've just started looking into the idea of studying medicine there's such a long application process.

Amin

Hello, still anyone here considering Cambridge GEP entry 2015?
Original post by yurilein93
Hello, still anyone here considering Cambridge GEP entry 2015?

In the end I think I have decided against it. Mainly because I sat UKCAT this week and got an unexpectedly good score, so I think I stand a good shot at Southampton, KCL, Warwick, and Newcastle. If I were to apply to Cambridge, I think I would have to devote a lot of time to reading up on Biochem and other sciences since I am not a science graduate, and I still don't think I would have a brilliant chance. Having done interviews at Oxford, I know how intense and difficult it will be academically, and I don't think I have the required knowledge from just a Chemistry A Level.

Quick Reply

Latest