The Student Room Group

What should i take for A level?

I really want to study law at university, preferably UCL or KCL, i know these are very hard universities to get into, i was thinking of taking

English Lit
History
Psychology
and maybe Biology but not too sure as I'm not amazing at it so it may bring my grades down.

I am predicted A in History and English Lit, in the mocks i took over christmas i managed to get high A's in both of those with little revision so if i put 100% in i could get A*.
Basically i don't know what to take, do you think they're good choices or would you recommend others?
Reply 1
Lit and history are definitely good choices.
Reply 2
Original post by jennyl98
I really want to study law at university, preferably UCL or KCL, i know these are very hard universities to get into, i was thinking of taking

English Lit
History
Psychology
and maybe Biology but not too sure as I'm not amazing at it so it may bring my grades down.

I am predicted A in History and English Lit, in the mocks i took over christmas i managed to get high A's in both of those with little revision so if i put 100% in i could get A*.
Basically i don't know what to take, do you think they're good choices or would you recommend others?

Is this at GCSE or AS level?
I agree English Lit, History are good subjects. Maybe a language?
Reply 3
A language at A-level is seen as very good because it shows you have a wider knowledge of the world around you. English and history are excellent choices. I think change bio for a language.
if you're not amazing at biology then there's really not much point taking it unless you really enjoy it, because biology is absolutely useless on its own without chemistry. maybe go for maths? the skills are far more transferable. or perhaps a language?
Original post by jennyl98

English Lit
History
Psychology

Id definitely take english lit and history. Id also take a language. Then for your 4th option, choose something you enjoy and think you would get good grades in.
I wouldnt go for law though- as some unis- especially the top ones dont like law a-level if you are wanting to do it at uni.
Most Unis don't specify subjects - they just want mega high grades.

So ... pick the subjects where you will get the highest grades. But you should include a subject that involves reading, text analysis and essay writing - Eng Lit, History, Politics etc - as this is evidence that you can cope with the massive amount of reading required for Law.

PS. Sure you want to do Law? It isn't as glamorous as most people think And the course isnt for everyone - take a look at a text book like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Law-Gary-Slapper/dp/0415499518 OR http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tort-Law-Kirsty-Horsey/dp/0199600775/ref=sr_1_64?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390646964&sr=1-64
Do you really want to send 3 years reading this sort of stuff? Look also at Uni subjects like Criminal justice, Social Policy, Legal Studies, Human Rights etc.

Quick Reply

Latest