?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can someone tell me what A level media studies is like
Emily-Beth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Rubbish, just a jolly, not considered a real a-level by many..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sarika Lola
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily-Beth)
Rubbish, just a jolly, not considered a real a-level by many..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh really? was thinking of taking it for A levels as it goes well with the other subjects i'm taking
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
TSR is probably not the best place to ask this.
Emily-Beth
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sarika Lola)
Oh really? was thinking of taking it for A levels as it goes well with the other subjects i'm taking
What are your other subjects? And what do you want to do in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want to take it, take it my friend took Media and has offers from universities such as Birmingham, Manchester and Newcastle etc. So ignore those who say you won't get into a good university with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spacey368
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm currently an AS media studies student and am predicted an A grade so I am the best person to ask about this (I didn't do GCSE media)

AS media is 50% exam and50% coursework.

The first part of the exam is all about the way media texts are formed, represented, consumed by their audience and the institutions that govern and regulate the media. The first part of the exam is based on watching, reading or listening to a media text (television show, magazine etc.) and by using the four key concepts of form, representation, audience and institution to answer four short essays on the media texts using the four key concepts.

I'm not sure about the second part of the media exam.

In the coursework you have to produce a magazine and a short moving image piece which can be challenging if you don't manage your time well or if you have a s**t group.
Sarika Lola
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily-Beth)
What are your other subjects? And what do you want to do in the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Art, textiles, and Home economics
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lucy96)
If you want to take it, take it my friend took Media and has offers from universities such as Birmingham, Manchester and Newcastle etc. So ignore those who say you won't get into a good university with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was probably in spite of, rather than thanks to, her taking media studies.

If you want to take it, do. But be aware that it's a useless qualification.
Assassinn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Take no notice of the stuck up ***** who would have you think Media Studied is useless. Take it along a decent two A Levels and you'll get offers from top RG uni's [not that it matters] if you achieve AAB/AAA like I have.

I enjoyed Media Studies thoroughly and thought what I focused on taught me more than just memorising textbooks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sarika Lola
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy96)

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay cool thanks they're all good uni's as well, so thats good
Sarika Lola
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spacey368)
I'm currently an AS media studies student and am predicted an A grade so I am the best person to ask about this (I didn't do GCSE media)

AS media is 50% exam and50% coursework.

The first part of the exam is all about the way media texts are formed, represented, consumed by their audience and the institutions that govern and regulate the media. The first part of the exam is based on watching, reading or listening to a media text (television show, magazine etc.) and by using the four key concepts of form, representation, audience and institution to answer four short essays on the media texts using the four key concepts.

I'm not sure about the second part of the media exam.

In the coursework you have to produce a magazine and a short moving image piece which can be challenging if you don't manage your time well or if you have a s**t group.

All sounds very interesting and exciting, and I sure hope its a lot of fun. Thank you for your help, I will take into account what you have said and do some more research and talk to teachers but hopefully the subject isn't to challenging! (I hope)
Emily-Beth
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah I see! Have you thought of graphics? I'd say that subject had more employable qualities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sarika Lola
Rep:
?
Never really thought about it, but might look into it. My head is filled with different subjects i'd like to take if I enjoyed them, but i'd rather go with the ones I do enjoy, and know i'm good at
Emily-Beth
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Never really thought about it, but might look into it. My head is filled with different subjects i'd like to take if I enjoyed them, but i'd rather go with the ones I do enjoy, and know i'm good at
Yeah you must go for something you enjoy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
That was probably in spite of, rather than thanks to, her taking media studies.

If you want to take it, do. But be aware that it's a useless qualification.
Still got the offers though, along with having ICT which many also consider not very respected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spacey368
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ah right. Those aren't the most respected a - levels and you might be better off doing a more respected subject such as history rather than media studies. Have you also considered doing a BETC? You seem to have a clear goal about what you want to do with your life and a BETC might be more suited to you as you are only doing one subject and it is 100% coursework. (You seem to be VERY good at coursework subjects )
thatitootoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Spacey368)
Ah right. Those aren't the most respected a - levels and you might be better off doing a more respected subject such as history rather than media studies. Have you also considered doing a BETC? You seem to have a clear goal about what you want to do with your life and a BETC might be more suited to you as you are only doing one subject and it is 100% coursework. (You seem to be VERY good at coursework subjects )
It's 'BTEC' not 'BETC' :mmm:
And that's a good suggestion - OP seems to be very creative.
Dee01
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can someone tell me what A level media studies is like
I've been studying Media Studies for years now, I did it for GCSE, A Level and now doing it in Uni (in my first year).

It really pisses me off when people call it a Mickey Mouse subject when tbh you go more in depth about every element of Media i.e Press, Politics, Print, Law/Regulations, even Psychology (to an extent) although everyone thinks it's just watching stuff (I WISH).

I get it might not be an academically accredited subject, but if you want to go into the Media industry then it teaches you the basics and, nowadays it's more about the experience no matter what grade you get!

It's honestly a fun subject but WARNING you will be analysing everything you watch from then on. Which I guess people who call it a Mickey Mouse subject don't do because they like to be a passive audience.

For A Level you can choose group work or print for both parts. I personally chose print because I wasn't really into the whole filming element. I also did IT so I knew more about softwares to help with the print side.

As you can tell I really enjoyed the subject (hence why I'm still studying it) so do it if you really want to. Don't listen to what other people say just because they're doing Business, Law and whatnot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dee01)
I've been studying Media Studies for years now, I did it for GCSE, A Level and now doing it in Uni (in my first year).

It really pisses me off when people call it a Mickey Mouse subject when tbh you go more in depth about every element of Media i.e Press, Politics, Print, Law/Regulations, even Psychology (to an extent) although everyone thinks it's just watching stuff (I WISH).

I get it might not be an academically accredited subject, but if you want to go into the Media industry then it teaches you the basics and, nowadays it's more about the experience no matter what grade you get!

It's honestly a fun subject but WARNING you will be analysing everything you watch from then on. Which I guess people who call it a Mickey Mouse subject don't do because they like to be a passive audience.

For A Level you can choose group work or print for both parts. I personally chose print because I wasn't really into the whole filming element. I also did IT so I knew more about softwares to help with the print side.

As you can tell I really enjoyed the subject (hence why I'm still studying it) so do it if you really want to. Don't listen to what other people say just because they're doing Business, Law and whatnot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Analysing everything, there's the difference. Most tougher a-levels require solid evaluation

Also out of your alternative subjects, you just basically listed another 2 mickey-mouse a-levels... though business is perhaps more useful than Media.

Media is a mickey mouse subject, having done Media for GCSE and then been told its similar to GCSE Media it really has mickey-mouse qualities about it. How comes I got x4 distinction* in Media but only a B in Maths and C's in English. It's a mickey mouse subject, just accept that

yes I'm a snob blahblahblah
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (687)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (863)
42.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (389)
19.16%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed