The Student Room Group

What happens when we die ? views on Life after Death

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by racheyroo
No one knows, i think the whole idea of heaven and being able to do what we want etc is a nice idea, but personally i think when we're dead thats it, it's just like a very very long sleep that we are unaware of

Agree, best way i have heard it put is "well what was it like before you were born?" ... thats what its like to not BE
As for the body well we get recycled energy wise somehow which i find kinda nice a part of u will always remain
Original post by Polkadot2
What happens when we die ?
Views on Life after Death (LAD)

We can't ever know in this life so the possibilities are endless. Let your imagination run wild - you can't be wrong.

My logical sense thinks we just die and rot away etc but that is only a minute aspect of my overall view. I think LAD is possible .

One another thing - do you believe in the soul, if so what does it mean to you? In language people assume we have souls is this metaphorical or have any fundamental literal basis? e.g soul mates :smile:

You lie in the ground and get skull****ed by maggots.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
To be honest, on the contrary I'm finding that the older I'm getting, the more scared I'm becoming. Time is going by so quickly and I'm acutely aware that even as the past 5 years seems to have flown by in a blink, so too will the next few decades, and before I know it I'll be on death's doorstep.

Also - I have already been 'capable of successful reproduction'. I have four lovely children. It doesn't help though. To make matters worse, my 8 year old daughter has started to speak of her fears of dying as well, which doesn't help me at all. I have to sit there and try to reassure her and quell her fears, when all the while my own fears about dying are so strong.

I should have been more explicit - the instinct which encourages you to stay alive (i.e. fear death) is going to have been driven by the evolutionary force related to the successful reproduction and upbringing of your offspring, so give it time. Otherwise I'd say try not to worry about something you have no control over; your death is a certainty as soon as you're born.
Original post by Futility
Personally, I find the fear of death to be completely irrational. For a fear of something to be rationally justified, the thing which is feared must be negative. But the state of being dead is the absence of any kind of experience at all, positive or negative. So death is thus, by definition, neutral. Fearing a state of neutrality makes no sense at all. The process of dying, however, is another matter altogether.

I hear what you're saying but we are evolved animals and part of that evolutionary development has been an instinct to survive - without which we wouldn't, well, be very good at surviving and thus reproducing. On this evolutionary basis a generalised fear of death makes perfect sense. Sure, it's not rational in the abstract but we're not entirely rational beings and as such we're subject to the forces of nature like any other animal.
Reply 44
I sincerely hope that death is simply the end of all perception and conscious experience. The idea of living forever is a far more teriifying prospect to me. Just imagine suffering for eternity, being tormented forever and losing everything you care about over and over ad infinitum. It would be an endless nightmare.
Original post by Axiomasher
I should have been more explicit - the instinct which encourages you to stay alive (i.e. fear death) is going to have been driven by the evolutionary force related to the successful reproduction and upbringing of your offspring, so give it time. Otherwise I'd say try not to worry about something you have no control over; your death is a certainty as soon as you're born.

Well I hope you're right, and that I do make my peace with it. Otherwise I'm going to reach my 70s and start turning into a nervous wreck!
Reply 46
Original post by Polkadot2
What happens when we die ?
Views on Life after Death (LAD)

We can't ever know in this life so the possibilities are endless. Let your imagination run wild - you can't be wrong.

This is incorrect. It doesn't follow from "we can't know" that "the possibilities are endless." And it definitely doesn't follow that "you can't be wrong" - indeed, if there were an infinite number of possibilities, the chance of being wrong would be a near certainty.
Personally, I find the fear of death to be completely irrational. For a fear of something to be rationally justified, the thing which is feared must be negative. But the state of being dead is the absence of any kind of experience at all, positive or negative. So death is thus, by definition, neutral. Fearing a state of neutrality makes no sense at all. The process of dying, however, is another matter altogether.

It is a bit irrational I suppose, but then again so is a fear of *insert random phobia here* - non poisonous spiders/snakes, mice, small spaces etc.
At least those things are the *known* enemies. Death is so alien it's unreal. Nobody really knows what happens afterwards. We can speculate, and say there's nothing, or there's an afterlife, but we don't know for sure, how on earth could we?
I am quite happy being me, I don't want to stop being me and be nothing. I don't want there to be nothing. Of course when I die, if there's nothing I won't know about it anyway, rationally I realise that, but I still don't want to stop being me and be nothing.
Knowing that one day my life will end is a terrifying prospect.

I can no more explain it to you, than anybody else with a phobia could explain why it makes them scared.
Somebody with a fear of mice would say "I'm scared of their paws, their whiskers, their nose, the way they run," but somebody else would say "yeah but...those things aren't scary."
It just is what it is.
The Qur'an has already established the answer to this question.

/thread.
Well I hope you're right, and that I do make my peace with it. Otherwise I'm going to reach my 70s and start turning into a nervous wreck!

I think one of the problems is normative (i.e it's not about us as humans but the social and cultural conditions we find ourselves in which shapes our responses). In modern western society we are very much shielded from mortality on a personal level, with the arrangements after a loved one's death tending to be very 'sanitised' and 'distant', at least that's been my experience. We're also surrounded by a culture which worships youth as a condition and where death is a little approached taboo when not the subject of TV crime drama (where the central characters are usually young and beautiful). We each have to come to terms with mortality in our own way, I've probably been helped, without realising it, through my interest in natural history and wildlife - here life and death are very obviously and constantly entwined.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
The Qur'an has already established the answer to this question.

/thread.

Only for Muslims.

And, wow, the thread didn't actually end!
im gonna throw this one out there!

i know and truly believe that some big bloke will get us and take us to a carvery for a slap up meal, then he will laugh at our faces and throw a golf ball at several humans including your loved ones, be aware

lets get #beaware trending worldwide so everyone knows this story
Reply 52
It is a bit irrational I suppose, but then again so is a fear of *insert random phobia here* - non poisonous spiders/snakes, mice, small spaces etc.
At least those things are the *known* enemies. Death is so alien it's unreal. Nobody really knows what happens afterwards. We can speculate, and say there's nothing, or there's an afterlife, but we don't know for sure, how on earth could we?
I am quite happy being me, I don't want to stop being me and be nothing. I don't want there to be nothing. Of course when I die, if there's nothing I won't know about it anyway, rationally I realise that, but I still don't want to stop being me and be nothing.
Knowing that one day my life will end is a terrifying prospect.

I can no more explain it to you, than anybody else with a phobia could explain why it makes them scared.
Somebody with a fear of mice would say "I'm scared of their paws, their whiskers, their nose, the way they run," but somebody else would say "yeah but...those things aren't scary."
It just is what it is.

Well firstly, with regard to your comment that "nobody really knows what happens afterwards", I personally do not accept this. We know from observing the results of phenomena like brain trauma, Alzheimer's disease and Capgrass syndrome that structural damage to the brain can completely alter an individual's perception, personality and entirely erase a lifetimes worth of memories. Every aspect that defines a person can be changed by structural alterations to the brain. This, to me, provides incontrovertable evidence that a person is merely a product of the physical structure of their brain and the sum total of the electrical activity that occurs therein. If the structure breaks down and/or the electrical activity ceases then the person is destroyed. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that there's anything more to a human being than this. All notions of an afterlife are utterly baseless fabrications.

In any case, I do not dispute that some people can experience irrational fears, the very definition of a phobia is precisely that. My point was only that a fear of death is irrational, and that consequently, as a vehemently rational person, I personally see no reason at all to be afraid of death. I also share the sentiment expressed above by Joseon that living forever is a far more terrifying prospect. In such a scenario one would experience an infinite amount of pain, sorrow, loss and suffering in an endless unyielding torment. This is something that would truly justify terror.
I don't like to think that you die and that's it but if I'm honest, I'm content just saying I don't know. I've spent too much time being scared of something I can't change and that I'll never know for sure what happens until it happens. I think beliefs are fine but I don't think you can be certain of anything.
Well firstly, with regard to your comment that "nobody really knows what happens afterwards", I personally do not accept this. We know from observing the results of phenomena like brain trauma, Alzheimer's disease and Capgrass syndrome that structural damage to the brain can completely alter an individual's perception, personality and entirely erase a lifetimes worth of memories. Every aspect that defines a person can be changed by structural alterations to the brain. This, to me, provides incontrovertable evidence that a person is merely a product of the physical structure of their brain and the sum total of the electrical activity that occurs therein. If the structure breaks down and/or the electrical activity ceases then the person is destroyed. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that there's anything more to a human being than this. All notions of an afterlife are utterly baseless fabrications.

In any case, I do not dispute that some people can experience irrational fears, the very definition of a phobia is precisely that. My point was only that a fear of death is irrational, and that consequently, as a vehemently rational person, I personally see no reason at all to be afraid of death. I also share the sentiment expressed above by Joseon that living forever is a far more terrifying prospect. In such a scenario one would experience an infinite amount of pain, sorrow, loss and suffering in an endless unyielding torment. This is something that would truly justify terror.

Wow aren't you just a bucket load of comfort.
Original post by davidseamen666
im gonna throw this one out there!

i know and truly believe that some big bloke will get us and take us to a carvery for a slap up meal, then he will laugh at our faces and throw a golf ball at several humans including your loved ones, be aware

lets get #beaware trending worldwide so everyone knows this story

Hashtags on TSR :no:
Reply 56
Wow aren't you just a bucket load of comfort.

I am the kind of person who prefers truth to fallacy no matter how unnerving the truth or comforting the fallacy. There are, however, aspects of reality in which somebody scared of death might take solace. For example, death can be thought of, from a subjective point of view, as nothing more than an abstract construct of consciousness based upon the erroneous concept of linear time.

The notion of time as a linear sequence of events, the so called 'arrow of time', is merely an illusion derrived from the limitations of our perception. There is no intrinsic distinction between past, present and future; all times are equally as 'real'. Experimentally verified phenomena like time dilation show how conscious beings in motion and separated by large distances cannot even agree upon what's said to be occuring 'now'. At the speed of light time ceases to exist at all. Thus, to a photon 'now' lasts forever and it occupies all it's positions in space simultaneously. Concepts like birth and death are thus products of linear time, and since linear time is just mental construct, so too are birth and death.
I am the kind of person who prefers truth to fallacy no matter how unnerving the truth or comforting the fallacy. There are, however, aspects of reality in which somebody scared of death might take solace. For example, death can be thought of, from a subjective point of view, as nothing more than an abstract construct of consciousness based upon the erroneous concept of linear time.

The notion of time as a linear sequence of events, the so called 'arrow of time', is merely an illusion derrived from the limitations of our perception. There is no intrinsic distinction between past, present and future; all times are equally as 'real'. Experimentally verified phenomena like time dilation show how conscious beings in motion and separated by large distances cannot even agree upon what's said to be occuring 'now'. At the speed of light time ceases to exist at all. Thus, to a photon 'now' lasts forever and it occupies all it's positions in space simultaneously. Concepts like birth and death are thus products of linear time, and since linear time is just mental construct, so too are birth and death.

Someone posted a video a few days ago on a similar thread which talked about quantum immortality and that as all time is existing now, after death consciousness will simply experience everything at once. I don't know how much truth there is in that though.
Reply 58
what i find annoying is when someone says "... and i died four times on the operating table"...

YOU DID NOT DIE YOU ****WIT

inevitably they accompany this with some tale about how they floated round the room looking down on everyone etc etc
"Men fear death as children fear the dark; and as that natural fear in children is amplified by tales, so is the other." I understand that you're scared of dying because you are leaving loved ones behind, leaving good memories behind, your friends and possibly your love of nature. But know one thing, just because you cannot think, doesn't mean that you do not exist.

Your rotting corpse will feed the flowers and the insects and so goes, you become nature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending