kellypreston
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
heyy, basically i have to write an essay for wjec on macbeth to compare and contrast with havisham, to his coy mistress, cousin kate and a married state. I need to get an A* on it (20/20) so could someone please help me
ps1265A
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

I can send you my analysis of "To his Coy Mistress" that I did last year, if you'd like.

And what section of Macbeth is it? What scene is it regarding?
kellypreston
Rep:
?
its the whole play, basically how their relationship changes throughout each section
ps1265A
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kellypreston)
its the whole play, basically how their relationship changes throughout each section
I remember I did something very similar last year. I can dig through my notes and find a copy of my work for you, if you'd like.
kellypreston
Rep:
?
that would be fab
kellypreston
Rep:
?
this is what i have written so far;

Love relationships can be defined in many ways. Not only does it involve marriage, as in Macbeths case, but non-marital relationships as in the poems “Havisham”, and lust, as in “To his Coy Mistress”.
Shakespeare initially presents Macbeth and Lady Macbeth as being exceedingly close spiritually. They can follow each other’s thoughts clearly; this is most evident when Lady Macbeth receives the letter from Macbeth about the witches’ prophecies. Macbeth is contemplating killing Duncan ‘stars hide your fires’ in Act 1 Scene 4 but has not told Lady Macbeth. Although she hasn’t been informed about this, she knows exactly what Macbeth is thinking. Lady Macbeth instantly begins to mimic Macbeth’s thoughts about killing Duncan showing a strong synergy between them, however she claims Macbeth lacks the ‘illness to attend it’ meaning Macbeth is too weak to carry out the deed. Weak is not something you would call a well-respected war hero.
Despite the fact Lady Macbeth doubts her husband; Macbeth has a clear desire to please his wife. In Act 1 scene 5 he calls Lady Macbeth ‘my dearest partner of greatness’. By using ‘dearest’ I think it is a sign of endearment and love and using ‘partner’ it shows equilibrium. But when Macbeth uses ‘greatness’, he is possibly going over the top and being too sycophantic. This suggests Lady Macbeth is more dominant and has more control. Slowly Lady Macbeth is destroying Macbeth’s confidence layer by layer. First she is telling Macbeth he is too ‘full of the milk of human kindness’ implying he is too weak to kill Duncan. Then later telling him to ‘look like thy innocent flower’. In the poem ‘A Married State’ Philips states ‘the best of husbands are so hard to please’ but in the Macbeths marriage, Lady Macbeth is not easily pleased with Macbeth’s petty efforts for killing Duncan.
Manipulation is a common feature in love relationships. Both Lady Macbeth and Marvell attempt to control their loved one but in different ways. Lady Macbeth controls Macbeth by attacking his self-esteem calling him a ‘coward’ claiming he is ‘too kind’ as if a negative quality. Marvell attempts to make his mistress fell bad implying that her ‘Coyness... were a crime’, making her shyness seem like a bad quality. Marvell also attacks her confidence stating ‘thy beauty shall be no more’ when she is older. This would not be expected in a normal loving relationship. Evidence of this is that Lady Macbeth drives her away (plotting schemes on his own) and Marvell gets nowhere with the ‘mistress’.
Lady Macbeth is clearly psychologically and emotionally damaged as a result of her treatment to Macbeth. She sleepwalks ‘washing the blood from her hands’ racked of guilt of the harm she has caused. Havisham on the other hand has been driven mad by what her fiancé has done to her often cawing ‘nooo’ at the wall. In both cases there is a detachment from oneself, Lady Macbeth loosing self-control and Havisham referring to herself as ‘her’. Havisham is emotionally confused using an oxymoron calling her husband-to-be a ‘beloved sweetheart *******’. How can he be both a ‘sweetheart’ and a ‘*******’?
One aspect of Macbeth and Lady Macbeths marriage which causes them immense problems is the fact they cannot have children. Although we a not directly told this, we can guess they have lost a child from when Lady Macbeth says “I have given suck, and know how tender ‘tis to love the babe that milks me: I would, while it was smiling in my face, have pluck’d my nipple from his boneless gums” in Act 1 scene 7. Macbeth not having a son causes a ‘meaningless crown’ upon his head. The fact that Banquo is a father to ‘a line of kings’ sickens Macbeth to the fact he kills them. In the poem Cousin Kate, the narrator will always have jurisdiction over Kate as she has had a child with the Lord which is something Kate will never be able to give the lord. The Lords and Kate’s relationship will never be complete without a child which is what Macbeth and Lady Macbeth are experiencing. In the poem A Married State, having children in a marriage is considered “offend[ing]”. Children can “distract you” from your “prayers” which to Philips is the wrong thing to do. She comes up with many excuses to why marriage and children are wrong claiming being a virgin give you much more “content”.
ps1265A
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kellypreston)
this is what i have written so far;

Love relationships can be defined in many ways. Not only does it involve marriage, as in Macbeths case, but non-marital relationships as in the poems “Havisham”, and lust, as in “To his Coy Mistress”.
Shakespeare initially presents Macbeth and Lady Macbeth as being exceedingly close spiritually. They can follow each other’s thoughts clearly; this is most evident when Lady Macbeth receives the letter from Macbeth about the witches’ prophecies. Macbeth is contemplating killing Duncan ‘stars hide your fires’ in Act 1 Scene 4 but has not told Lady Macbeth. Although she hasn’t been informed about this, she knows exactly what Macbeth is thinking. Lady Macbeth instantly begins to mimic Macbeth’s thoughts about killing Duncan showing a strong synergy between them, however she claims Macbeth lacks the ‘illness to attend it’ meaning Macbeth is too weak to carry out the deed. Weak is not something you would call a well-respected war hero.
Despite the fact Lady Macbeth doubts her husband; Macbeth has a clear desire to please his wife. In Act 1 scene 5 he calls Lady Macbeth ‘my dearest partner of greatness’. By using ‘dearest’ I think it is a sign of endearment and love and using ‘partner’ it shows equilibrium. But when Macbeth uses ‘greatness’, he is possibly going over the top and being too sycophantic. This suggests Lady Macbeth is more dominant and has more control. Slowly Lady Macbeth is destroying Macbeth’s confidence layer by layer. First she is telling Macbeth he is too ‘full of the milk of human kindness’ implying he is too weak to kill Duncan. Then later telling him to ‘look like thy innocent flower’. In the poem ‘A Married State’ Philips states ‘the best of husbands are so hard to please’ but in the Macbeths marriage, Lady Macbeth is not easily pleased with Macbeth’s petty efforts for killing Duncan.
Manipulation is a common feature in love relationships. Both Lady Macbeth and Marvell attempt to control their loved one but in different ways. Lady Macbeth controls Macbeth by attacking his self-esteem calling him a ‘coward’ claiming he is ‘too kind’ as if a negative quality. Marvell attempts to make his mistress fell bad implying that her ‘Coyness... were a crime’, making her shyness seem like a bad quality. Marvell also attacks her confidence stating ‘thy beauty shall be no more’ when she is older. This would not be expected in a normal loving relationship. Evidence of this is that Lady Macbeth drives her away (plotting schemes on his own) and Marvell gets nowhere with the ‘mistress’.
Lady Macbeth is clearly psychologically and emotionally damaged as a result of her treatment to Macbeth. She sleepwalks ‘washing the blood from her hands’ racked of guilt of the harm she has caused. Havisham on the other hand has been driven mad by what her fiancé has done to her often cawing ‘nooo’ at the wall. In both cases there is a detachment from oneself, Lady Macbeth loosing self-control and Havisham referring to herself as ‘her’. Havisham is emotionally confused using an oxymoron calling her husband-to-be a ‘beloved sweetheart *******’. How can he be both a ‘sweetheart’ and a ‘*******’?
One aspect of Macbeth and Lady Macbeths marriage which causes them immense problems is the fact they cannot have children. Although we a not directly told this, we can guess they have lost a child from when Lady Macbeth says “I have given suck, and know how tender ‘tis to love the babe that milks me: I would, while it was smiling in my face, have pluck’d my nipple from his boneless gums” in Act 1 scene 7. Macbeth not having a son causes a ‘meaningless crown’ upon his head. The fact that Banquo is a father to ‘a line of kings’ sickens Macbeth to the fact he kills them. In the poem Cousin Kate, the narrator will always have jurisdiction over Kate as she has had a child with the Lord which is something Kate will never be able to give the lord. The Lords and Kate’s relationship will never be complete without a child which is what Macbeth and Lady Macbeth are experiencing. In the poem A Married State, having children in a marriage is considered “offend[ing]”. Children can “distract you” from your “prayers” which to Philips is the wrong thing to do. She comes up with many excuses to why marriage and children are wrong claiming being a virgin give you much more “content”.
I'll look through my GCSE stuff this Friday and try to find it for you.

"Shakespeare initially presents Macbeth and Lady Macbeth as being exceedingly close spiritually. They can follow each other’s thoughts clearly; this is most evident when Lady Macbeth receives the letter from Macbeth about the witches’ prophecies. Macbeth is contemplating killing Duncan ‘stars hide your fires’ in Act 1 Scene 4 but has not told Lady Macbeth. Although she hasn’t been informed about this, she knows exactly what Macbeth is thinking. Lady Macbeth instantly begins to mimic Macbeth’s thoughts about killing Duncan showing a strong synergy between them, however she claims Macbeth lacks the ‘illness to attend it’ meaning Macbeth is too weak to carry out the deed."

This bit is very waffly! I think you're describing, rather than explaining how this relates to love and relationships. Explain why you have used the quotes you have used in relation to relationships.
e.g.
‘illness to attend it’ - gives a sense of doubt. What impact does this have on their relationship?

I think your third paragraph would reach the A-A* grade:
Macbeth ‘my dearest partner of greatness’. By using ‘dearest’ I think it is a sign of endearment and love and using ‘partner’ it shows equilibrium.
You can still elaborate! It's English Literature!
Talk about the use of language. It's very emotive and direct which suggests intimacy and care!

Elaborate, elaborate!
full of the milk of human kindness’
What does the word "milk" suggest?
What does this line suggest about Lady Macbeth's character?
What does this show about their relationship? Dominance etc.!

TIP: It's better to analyse a single word rather than an entire sentence! This is what gets you your A*.

You've done a reasonably good comparison. It's good that you've found a common theme of manipulation in both texts and have compared how this portrays the relationships in a similar way.
You can also compare language! From what I can remember, the "spiritual" aspect in Macbeth and the "river Ganges" quote in the poem, both portray a religious connotation. Link this back to relationships again!

The quotes you have used are very lengthy. Use quotes that are single word or only a few words.
e.g.
‘tis to love the babe that milks me: I would, while it was smiling in my face, have pluck’d my nipple from his boneless gums”

All in all:
I would suggest you arrange this themes (which I think you've done). For example, in one paragraph, focus on the religious aspects of ALL three texts. If one text doesn't have this theme, what theme does it have instead? Why does it have this theme instead?
At the end of each point you're making, relate it back to relationships! Every time!
Language analysis is essential. But don't go over the top. Relate the use of language, to the idea of relationships. e,g. The word "milk" gives the image of purity etc. ---> Similarly it portrays Macbeth's light-hearted persona. And then you can compare how similar/different linguistic devices are used in other texts to portray a similar idea!
Cut back on the narrative, this isn't important. I think it'd be a good idea to give a one line narrative at the start of each paragraph to set the scene.

I really hope this has helped!
kellypreston
Rep:
?
yes Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (194)
29.66%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.67%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.87%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.41%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.8%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.57%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.81%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed