The Student Room Group

Ucas tariff points

Hi,i wondering if anyone has any experience/ information that could help me. i applied to study international politics at Aberystwyth, ever since i applied I've been on a real emotional high, finding out about the facilities the university has and the course. Overall i couldn't be more excited about going. I got a conditional offer today of a GPA of 3.5 or higher. (i go to an american school located in holland)

This seems a lot higher than the ucas tariif score of 300, also im currently doing ib diploma certificates (in 5 subjects with the core). So my knowledge of my abilities/ exam aims or all in terms of ib scores.

Firstly i was wondering how much a typical offer deviates from the stated 300 ucas points, i expect i could probably score around 420 ucas tariff points being realistic, yet would i still be accepted.

Also is this initial offer of a 3.5 gpa the only offer ill receive, i heard that some people get lower offers if they show the commitment by turning up to the open-days.

Also does receiving a conditional offer rule out the chance that ill be asked for an interview (something i was looking forward to feel confident and well prepared for). Can you request interviews?

Finally i really appreciate the service you guys offer here, like i said its been great reading about the place, i only hope i can attend in september. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/ advice.
Reply 1
If it states only 300 points, that is what pretty much all offers will be unless you have some kind of extenuating circumstances, usually. If it says eg 260-300 you could get an offer within any part of that range.

Open days make no difference to your offer.

A conditional offer is the end - just have to get your grades. A lot of courses don't do interviews and you can't request one.
Reply 2
If you got a conditional offer then of course you won't get an interview!

Interview is before the conditional offer is given if your course interviews.
Personally, I'd like having an offer without having to go to an interview first!!!!

If you want an interview so badly, try apply for Oxbridge, medicine, nursing and etc!
you may hate it ever after though :wink: Although, for the courses mention, your application need to be VERY good in the first place to get an interview!
Reply 3
thanks for the responses, it just seems weird that my conditional offer is almost twice as high, as the advertised entry requirement, and that they're asking for a gpa, something that i didnt put on my ucas form, and that they never showed on their websites entry requirements.

its just annoying knowing i wont get into my first choice despite being able to exceed the requirements, all because they gave me an offer that comparatively a lot harder to achieve, simply because i dont take a levels.
Reply 4
Original post by aquatoll
thanks for the responses, it just seems weird that my conditional offer is almost twice as high, as the advertised entry requirement, and that they're asking for a gpa, something that i didnt put on my ucas form, and that they never showed on their websites entry requirements.

its just annoying knowing i wont get into my first choice despite being able to exceed the requirements, all because they gave me an offer that comparatively a lot harder to achieve, simply because i dont take a levels.

If they didn't have your qualifications stated in the entry requirements section you should have emailed them beforehand, as it is highly likely your offer is within their standard requirements - but as it is less common it isn't necessarily stated on the website.
Reply 5
sorry to vent buts its as if you were predicted BAA, and happened to also play football as a hobby

and the university you applied required BBC

youd think you had a good chance of getting in, yet they give you a conditional offer saying

"we dont care about your a level result, the minimum requirement for entry into our course is to average 3 goals scored a match for the season"

I mean yes its a condition that is feasible. and yes it does have some pertinence to the programs im enrolled in but it is ignoring most of my academic focus and giving me inflated conditions that i didnt think were relevent during the application process, and that im unlikely to full fill.

Anyway thanks for the responses, hope you find the application process less stressfull.
Reply 6
Original post by aquatoll
sorry to vent buts its as if you were predicted BAA, and happened to also play football as a hobby

and the university you applied required BBC

youd think you had a good chance of getting in, yet they give you a conditional offer saying

"we dont care about your a level result, the minimum requirement for entry into our course is to average 3 goals scored a match for the season"

I mean yes its a condition that is feasible. and yes it does have some pertinence to the programs im enrolled in but it is ignoring most of my academic focus and giving me inflated conditions that i didnt think were relevent during the application process, and that im unlikely to full fill.

Anyway thanks for the responses, hope you find the application process less stressfull.

My friend does the international baccalaureate and is applying to pharmacy, and her uni's conditions equate to a much higher ucas tariff than if she had taken A-Levels. It's the way it is, it's just that if the university doesn't state their requirements for your qualification, you should have asked to see what it was?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending