The Student Room Group

Deloitte Brightstart or University?

Hi

I have applied to the Deloitte BrighStart programme in Financial Services Audit. Ultimately, I don't think I want to end up in Accounting but I think this is a really good opportunity to get work experience with a well respected company. If I did continue with Deloitte post qualification, I would probably try and change to one of the other service lines.

However, as I said, its likely I'd move out of Accounting to a managerial job (I like the sound of retail management) or into the finance department of a non accounting company.

So, if I did take the above route, what would make me more employable? Having 5 years work experience with a Big 4 firm + a CA qualification or having a degree in Economics and Accounting from a average university? Ultimately, I'd prefer doing the degree (I think) because of the social aspect but I'm attracted to the job because of the money and there's no guarantee of getting summer placements at big firms during university or of a job post university if I choose to do the degree. If I did do the degree, I probably wouldn't go onto qualify as an Accountant afterwards.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Seeing as you're not 100% sure I'd say Scholar
Reply 2
Original post by Mindless Behavior
Seeing as you're not 100% sure I'd say Scholar

Thank you for replying. Do you think it'd be possible to switch between Brightstart and Scholar without messing up both?
Original post by toejoeson
Thank you for replying. Do you think it'd be possible to switch between Brightstart and Scholar without messing up both?

I'm not sure, the best thing would be to contact them (anonymously/through an email if you're really worried) and ask
Reply 4
Original post by Mindless Behavior
I'm not sure, the best thing would be to contact them (anonymously/through an email if you're really worried) and ask

Thanks. I don't think they seemed too keen on me doing Scholar when I emailed them. It's slightly annoying as it would've allowed me to go to university yet have better employment prospects after graduating. :angry:
Thanks. I don't think they seemed too keen on me doing Scholar when I emailed them. It's slightly annoying as it would've allowed me to go to university yet have better employment prospects after graduating. :angry:

Ah that's a shame... Are you going to stick with Brightstart then?
Reply 6
Of the two options you've named, the better employment prospects will undoubtedly be with the brightstart scheme. In 3 years time you can either have a bachelors that serves little more than to tick a box on job applications, or you can already have three years of experience with a top company working a graduate level role and be exam qualified for your ACA. Completely incomparable from an employment prospects perspective.

However, that assumes that you won't randomly decide your career goals are really in HR/marketing/etc. If you decide to throw in the towel and do something entirely different, then all that experience becomes quite a lot less useful! Also, there are other important aspects to consider. Uni is for many a fantastic experience which is unlikely to be repeated. Is it worth trading that in to spend an extra two years (compared to taking the grad accounting route for example) doing the more mundane aspects of entry level accounting work in a stressful environment? Perhaps not.

Ultimately, I opted for the graduate route and don't regret the choice, but I can entirely see how the decision could go the other way. Of the lot the scholar scheme seems to be the best IMO.
Reply 7
Having the ACA won't hurt you if you later decide to take your career in a different direction. BrightStart will also give you work experience from the beginning and if the door is already open why wait for 3 years only to have to compete for a decent job again? There are graduates with great A-Levels out there who can't get into the Big 4 anymore because they flunked their degree.

The only caveat is if you don't see a future in accounting you will probably fail. You have to be not just bright but also incredibly motivated to both pass the ICAEW's exams and be a success in the office.
Reply 8
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help. Because I'm in Scotland, the degree would be 4 years so in a way that makes Brightstart more attractive (cause I would have 2 year head start). On the other hand, university is free so I don't have to worry about that.

I also have assessment days coming up with BDO and GT. Ultimately, if I got a job with these two, I think I would probably pick university as you don't get the Big 4 name on your CV (although I would take their offer if I had a degree). What would be your opinions on sending these companies an email saying something along the lines of - I'm thinking university would be a better option for me as I'm not sure a career in Accounting is definitely the right path for me. However, if I passed the upcoming assessment days, would you consider unpaid work experience for 4-8 weeks during the summer months of my degree? Would this be an unacceptable thing to say? I probably wouldn't take a school leaver job with them so it couldn't really hurt me. This way, if I can secure work experience with them, I can ask Deloitte the same. If they say no, I still have work experience. If they say yes, I have more work experience. I think this may be my best shout because I'd leave uni with a degree and work experience. The thing that appeals to me about these school leaver programmes is the work experience as that's what employers want. I'm scared that if I go to uni, I won't get any internships or placements.
Reply 9
I'm thinking university would be a better option for me as I'm not sure a career in Accounting is definitely the right path for me. However, if I passed the upcoming assessment days, would you consider unpaid work experience for 4-8 weeks during the summer months of my degree?

Absolutely not. What you're essentially asking them is for 4-8 weeks of work experience that is great for you but with absolutely no guaranteed value for them whatsoever. Internships and placements are limited and they're going to give them to people that they think they will derive the most value from. They're a business, after all, not a charity.

I thought you already had offers but now I see that you don't, this could be quite hypothetical. There's not a lot of use in coming to a decision until you know what options are on the table.

In your case, I think that you are so indecisive that you should forget not only the Big 4 school leaver schemes but also any kind of degree that has the potential to pigeon hole you. You need to do a degree that is going to give you a lot of options in four years time. Straight Economics or Economics and Management could be good options for you and Law is useful in all kinds of careers. I would consider those if I were you.
Reply 10
Ok thanks for the advice. The reason I'm indecisive is because its a big decision to make. Most people struggle to decide what Uni to go to and this is no different. I think I'd quite enjoy law but I can't get onto any of the degree's cause I didn't take Higher English. I've applied to Economics and Accounting because i think that'll give me quite a few options having Economics but I get 5 exemptions from ICAS TC having the Accounting in there.
Reply 11
It is a big decision, agreed and there's really not a problem being indecisive at 18 (in fact, as you proceed in your career you'll find what started as indecisiveness turns into adaptability and versatility and can be used as a strength). However, those entering the school leaver schemes will be those who have already made a decision. University is good for those with less certainty in the circumstances.
Reply 12
Original post by AW1983
It is a big decision, agreed and there's really not a problem being indecisive at 18 (in fact, as you proceed in your career you'll find what started as indecisiveness turns into adaptability and versatility and can be used as a strength). However, those entering the school leaver schemes will be those who have already made a decision. University is good for those with less certainty in the circumstances.

I think i'd prefer uni but i'd be crazy to turn down a big 4 job if I got it. I'll probably just go along to all the assessment days anyway just for the experience if nothing else... or would that reflect badly when coming to apply for graduate jobs if i was seen to be wasting their time?
Reply 13
I think i'd prefer uni but i'd be crazy to turn down a big 4 job if I got it. I'll probably just go along to all the assessment days anyway just for the experience if nothing else... or would that reflect badly when coming to apply for graduate jobs if i was seen to be wasting their time?

I don't know. Maybe apply to two schemes now and leave the other two up your sleeve for later?
Reply 14
Original post by AW1983
I don't know. Maybe apply to two schemes now and leave the other two up your sleeve for later?

Ok, looking at it like that isn't actually a problem then. I only actually applied to Deloitte and EY out of the Big 4 anyway. Ironically, I didn't apply to the KPMG and PwC degrees. That was partly because I felt the universities were too far away (and you have to pay for the PwC one).
Reply 15
absolutely go to Deloitte. 5 years experience plus CA makes you infinitely more employable than an average degree, especially if that degree is intended to prepare you for the qualification you would have already. if accounting/finance is for you you will be well placed for a move into another practice area or a fc/fd role after five years and, if you decide that you want to do something else, you still have the option of going back to university.
Reply 16
Hi guys.

I've come across a local firm (just inside the top 100). They sponsor school leavers through ACCA. The salary is 13.5K starting to 22.5K in the final year of training. 30k is the salary upon qualification. Does anyone know how this would compare to Deloitte Edinburgh? I thought Deloitte would start at 16K, qualify on about 35-37K. If thats the case, the pay is probably roughly equivalent given the differences in cost of living.

This firm appeals to me for several reasons: 1) I've spoken to someone who has just qualified there after turning down PwC. They said you work Mon-Wed, go to college on Thursday and Friday is Study Leave. 2) The work life balance will be better than Big 4 3) It's local. Most of my friends are going to the local university. 4) ACCA means I can get the Oxford Brookes Degree. I know its not very well respected but at least it keeps my options open if I wanted to get onto a graduate scheme. 5) Deloitte - fail and your out. I'd have no degree to fall back on. I'd expect this firm to be more lenient.

Is the Big 4 experience really that valuable? How hard would it be to move to big 4 after qualifying? Also, a woman from another local firm came into school to talk about school leaver opportunities. She said they took on a student a few years before who completed ACCA in 3 years. If I could do it that quickly, I reckon this may be a decent opportunity. What are your thoughts?
Reply 17
....and also, I'm not limited to audit! Could I also ask - for a firm like this, what is the type of salary/career progression after qualifying? How long does it take to reach manager, senior manager, director, partner etc. (for an average employee) and what are the kind of salaries like at a firm like this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi guys.

I've come across a local firm (just inside the top 100). They sponsor school leavers through ACCA. The salary is 13.5K starting to 22.5K in the final year of training. 30k is the salary upon qualification. Does anyone know how this would compare to Deloitte Edinburgh? I thought Deloitte would start at 16K, qualify on about 35-37K. If thats the case, the pay is probably roughly equivalent given the differences in cost of living.

This firm appeals to me for several reasons: 1) I've spoken to someone who has just qualified there after turning down PwC. They said you work Mon-Wed, go to college on Thursday and Friday is Study Leave. 2) The work life balance will be better than Big 4 3) It's local. Most of my friends are going to the local university. 4) ACCA means I can get the Oxford Brookes Degree. I know its not very well respected but at least it keeps my options open if I wanted to get onto a graduate scheme. 5) Deloitte - fail and your out. I'd have no degree to fall back on. I'd expect this firm to be more lenient.

Is the Big 4 experience really that valuable? How hard would it be to move to big 4 after qualifying? Also, a woman from another local firm came into school to talk about school leaver opportunities. She said they took on a student a few years before who completed ACCA in 3 years. If I could do it that quickly, I reckon this may be a decent opportunity. What are your thoughts?

How long is the scheme?

Those salaries sound about right for regional.

Big 4 experience has varying value depending on what you want to do after qualification... certain companies / industries require it, others it's not so important.

All in all this sounds like a pretty good fit for you.
Reply 19
I have offers frm both the pwc Nottingham scheme and the Deloitte scholars at bath. Which is better???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending