can you help me with this novel I'm writing?

Watch
azkarthur
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
so this novel is about a kingdom long ago, and there is a senate that decides most important decisions for the king to consider.
and there is this prince too, that understands a lot about important political stuff and... well, stuff. what I'm asking is, can a prince be a member of the senate?
and if a kingdom arrange a diplomatic visit to another kingdom, who do they send? the king? prince? a member of the senate?

and will it be appropriate for a king or a prince to lead a war?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by azkarthur)
so this novel is about a kingdom long ago, and there is a senate that decides most important decisions for the king to consider.
and there is this prince too, that understands a lot about important political stuff and... well, stuff. what I'm asking is, can a prince be a member of the senate?
and if a kingdom arrange a diplomatic visit to another kingdom, who do they send? the king? prince? a member of the senate?

Your book, your rules...
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Completely up to you. Trick is to make it completely normal for all/most in your Kingdom and then maybe make some of the other kingdom question it.
azkarthur
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Your book, your rules...
is this sarcasm ._. if its not, then be sure to buy it if i ever finished it! HAHAHA
Ladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

does it fit in with the princes character arc thingy?
azkarthur
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ladders)
does it fit in with the princes character arc thingy?
yes, actually. kinda...
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
and there is this prince too, that understands a lot about important political stuff and... well, stuff
If this is your style of writing, it's gonna be a hell of a bestseller ...

On a more serious note, you can determine it for yourself. How much power does the senate have in relation to the king? If it's similar to the Roman senate during the principate (i.e. virtually powerless), then it would make sense for the prince to be a member of the senate in order to keep an eye on them.

And who to send to a foreign country entirely depends on which country it is and what the purpose of the visit is. Does the king wants to arrange a wedding between his daughter and the other king's prince? Maybe sort it out himself. Do they want to establish some minor trade links? No need for a royal to go, just sent some emissaries.

Sure it is appropriate for the king or prince to lead in war (by that you probably mean leading from the front as opposed to a HQ in the capital=, at least if your novel is set in a time similar to our ancient or medieval ages. If it's an industrial society, I guess they wouldn't want to have the leader of their country killed by the occasional shell or gunshot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads