sonicmailman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm debating whether or not to take OCR Government and Politics at A-Level because it's OCR and I can't find any revision guides for the OCR exam board, and for the ones I have, they've been given bad reviews, I don't learn so well at school because I'm easily distracted and so I prefer to learn while at home and it benefits me a lot more.
Jacketh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do OCR Government and Politics and I am actually rather enjoying it.

The thing is with Government and Politics is in terms of knowledge, things aren't that hard to understand. So is it really necessary to have a revision guide?. For example, you'll do a topic on electoral systems. Google a type of electoral system, such as First Past the Post and there will be tons on it. For example, this. http://aceproject.org/ace-en/topics/...sd01a/esd01a01 - Its no different to what a revision guide will give you.

Another thing with the Government and Politics course is that in order to write a really good essay you need to include relevant examples. They're encouraged to be examples that have been relevant in the news and new as well. No revision guide will give you that, only old examples that examiners will read tediously one after another.

If you insist on a textbook, I'd recommend this one. Its the one we use and has pretty much everything covered. Relying on this for your knowledge and examples wouldn't be advisable though, but no revision guide/textbook will be.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-UK-Govern.../dp/0340986638
charlottehynd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I studied Government and Politics and really enjoyed it apart from the last exam in A2. You need to know a lot about the subject and give advantages/disadvantages and recent examples. I enjoyed doing pressure group and political parties as they were easy to remember and learn. Also voting behaviour was an easy question to do but only if you learnt stats to evaluate. The first exam may seem hard but looking back at it as with most things it's easy to pick up marks for evalutation and examples.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.04%
Unhappy (54)
28.27%
Conflicted (93)
48.69%

Watched Threads