The Student Room Group

When should I start revising for my GCSE exams in the summer?

I will have 9 exams in the summer for GCSE. I also will have the same amount of exams in March when I have my 2nd lot of mocks. I want to get my target grades which are all B's expect from English which is a C. When should I start revising for my exams?
And do you have any revision tips for me?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Start as soon as possible! I had my mocks last week, and I revised over the Christmas holidays, which I think is added up to about 2 months of revision in term time. Remember, the more you revise for your mocks, the easier your real GCSE revision will be, because you've already revised everything! Good luck :smile:
It's GCSE's; you can get those grades with 30 minutes of revision the night before the exam
Reply 3
I had my GCSE mocks before Christmas like you probably did, and to be honest it varies. I must admit I wasn't the best when it came to revision time...I waited until the night before XD but it was SO stressful and hard to pull off! Some of my friends started revision about a month before the MOCKS, so if I were you, I'd start revision abooooout...3 months before the real thing. Making flashcards or mind maps have helped a lot of the people I know, but for me when revising for my mocks I must have done the most tedious way possible. I went through about 4 past papers for each subject (Science, Maths, English etc) and listed down what came up the most from them or what I couldn't do in them. I then made sure that I was comfortable with all of that...so basically, my number 1 tip to revising is past papers! :biggrin: You can NEVER have enough, and they really work! With 1/2 - 1 evening of revision for each subject I managed to get all As and A*s in my mocks so it does work! Good Luck!!!
Reply 4
Original post by michaelhaych
It's GCSE's; you can get those grades with 30 minutes of revision the night before the exam

BS I worked hard for my A*s

Most of TSR likes to pretend they don't study for the sake of some cool points. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
If you do not mind me saying so you should never target yourself at a B in anything.
Original post by Red one
BS I worked hard for my A*s

Most of TSR likes to pretend they don't study for the sake of some cool points. :rolleyes:

Well that's all I did and I walked away with As and Bs, I did 30 pages of Geography coursework in one night and got an A for it; GCSE's are just memory games.

I'm not just trying to look cool, I'll freely admit I worked my arse off at A-levels to get good grades and doing well in them mattered to me but GCSEs aren't anything to fret about
Reply 7
Original post by James2810
I will have 9 exams in the summer for GCSE. I also will have the same amount of exams in March when I have my 2nd lot of mocks. I want to get my target grades which are all B's expect from English which is a C. When should I start revising for my exams?
And do you have any revision tips for me?

Thanks.

Start now, it'll pay off

I try to pick two subjects each weekend and focus on them, and if you're doing a foreign language, try to learn the vocab as you go along, it really helps

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 8
Hi I am in year 9 and I have to pick my options very soon, I want to become a midwife so any ideas what options to pick? Thanks x:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Old_Simon
If you do not mind me saying so you should never target yourself at a B in anything.

Why do you say this?
Original post by James2810
Why do you say this?

I say this because - and I am a qualified teacher of English at least - that the game is never ever over until the whistle blows and you should never ever accept a less than perfect result. First up supposing the student is wrong and misses the B and gets a C ? Secondly as a B grade pupil they are so close. A bit more effort. Harder work. A better book. More motivation. Whatever. But the top is in reach without a doubt. Remember this: As they learn their stuff all A students are B students. Maybe briefly. But they pass thru B on the way to A. It is quite tricky to get a fistful of Bs so why not go the whole nine yards and get A A* ?
Reply 11
Original post by Renee_xo
Hi I am in year 9 and I have to pick my options very soon, I want to become a midwife so any ideas what options to pick? Thanks x:smile:

Hey, a friend of mine wants to be a midwife too :smile: I'm glad that you do. They'll almost always be in demand lol. Anwyay, good subjects to do for GCSE are Biology and Child Development (definitely). Being a midwife isn't specifically a career path requiring a lot of limiting GCSEs, so just try your best in Child Dev and your other favourite subjeects and you'll be fine for now :smile:
Original post by Old_Simon
I say this because - and I am a qualified teacher of English at least - that the game is never ever over until the whistle blows and you should never ever accept a less than perfect result. First up supposing the student is wrong and misses the B and gets a C ? Secondly as a B grade pupil they are so close. A bit more effort. Harder work. A better book. More motivation. Whatever. But the top is in reach without a doubt. Remember this: As they learn their stuff all A students are B students. Maybe briefly. But they pass thru B on the way to A. It is quite tricky to get a fistful of Bs so why not go the whole nine yards and get A A* ?

Hello, I have just noticed that you are a qualified English teacher? On my recent exam I was 1 UMS off a Grade A , what are my chances of gaining one or two extra marks if it got remarked?:smile:
Original post by Marcusroye98
Hello, I have just noticed that you are a qualified English teacher? On my recent exam I was 1 UMS off a Grade A , what are my chances of gaining one or two extra marks if it got remarked?:smile:

I have taught English as a foreign Language. I am not a school teacher. I know very little about the education system. Sorry. But a remark could do no harm I think !
Reply 14
Original post by AlphaNick
9?

NINE?

I've got 23...

Yes NINE. I am not the smartest student and only 1 of my 3 options has an exam. The exams I will have are English(didn't get a C in the November exam), Maths(2), Science(3), Geography(2) and RE(1).
Wow, 23 exams. I thought 9 was a lot but 23 is way more than the nine I have. Good Luck for them.
Original post by michaelhaych
Well that's all I did and I walked away with As and Bs, I did 30 pages of Geography coursework in one night and got an A for it; GCSE's are just memory games.

I'm not just trying to look cool, I'll freely admit I worked my arse off at A-levels to get good grades and doing well in them mattered to me but GCSEs aren't anything to fret about

Do you not feel that instead of a sense of achievement around getting A's and B's with 30 minutes revision you should feel regret that you didn't do more revision and get all A's and A*? Obviously, As and Bs are very good, but it sounds like you're very intelligent and could have gotten straight A's? I'm not trying to be rude or have a go just wondering :smile:
Original post by easyaspirsquared
Do you not feel that instead of a sense of achievement around getting A's and B's with 30 minutes revision you should feel regret that you didn't do more revision and get all A's and A*? Obviously, As and Bs are very good, but it sounds like you're very intelligent and could have gotten straight A's? I'm not trying to be rude or have a go just wondering :smile:

Not really because in the long run GCSE's aren't that important; employers don't really care about them if you have A levels and a degree and, unless you're applying to Oxbridge or you want to do something like medicine all you really need is 5 GCSE's at grades A*- C including English Language and Maths (preferably at grade B). Having less-than-perfect GCSE grades is never going to hold me back and there's a lot more to life than school and a good job; enjoying my youth benefited me a lot more as a person
Reply 17
NOW!
Reply 18
I have 10 exams in the summer and I'm starting tomorrow, firstly just making sure I understand each topic and clearing up anything I struggle particularly badly with, with my teachers. I spent a long time witting out cue cards and mindmaps for my mocks before Christmas so I will just go over them and do past papers and practice questions. But starting earlier means that you can revise little and often, which will help you in the long term. I'm not getting to stressed because I know gcse's aren't the most important thing ever, but they do determine what sixth form or college you can go to and what a levels you can study which are very important!
Original post by emily9876
I have 10 exams in the summer and I'm starting tomorrow, firstly just making sure I understand each topic and clearing up anything I struggle particularly badly with, with my teachers. I spent a long time witting out cue cards and mindmaps for my mocks before Christmas so I will just go over them and do past papers and practice questions. But starting earlier means that you can revise little and often, which will help you in the long term. I'm not getting to stressed because I know gcse's aren't the most important thing ever, but they do determine what sixth form or college you can go to and what a levels you can study which are very important!

For anyone considering fourth term UCAS applications GCSE's are a vital constituent of the application. It is a fatal mistake to think that a casual or poor performance can somehow be over ridden by stellar A levels. That is not true.

Quick Reply

Latest