The Student Room Group

Political Hip-Hop / Hip-Hop with Something Real to Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

RA the Rugged Man, Brother Ali, Immortal Technique, Talib Kweli, Vinnie Paz, KRS-One and loads more.
Original post by 419
How?

the words they usee
the stuff they rap about..
some of it is pretty deep but alot of it is also dirty n stuff
Reply 22
Original post by pureandmodest
the words they usee
the stuff they rap about..
some of it is pretty deep but alot of it is also dirty n stuff

But that applies to mainstream music of any genre.
Original post by 419
But that applies to mainstream music of any genre.

yea im not into mainstream music either really
i like slow soft songs
and piano stuff
Original post by moment of truth
RA the Rugged Man, Brother Ali, Immortal Technique, Talib Kweli, Vinnie Paz, KRS-One and loads more.

To add to these - Jedi Mind Tricks, Diabolic, Atmosphere, Sage Francis.

To be honest even though Immortal Technique is the most 'famous', I kind of get the feeling with him that he just tries to drop names and include esoteric topics to sound intelligent:

I calculate planet alignment like Mayan astronomy
Discovering atrocities worst than Aristotle
Subjecting children to sodomy
Your theory of the galaxy is primitive like Ptolemy
The truth about the universe stuck up like Aztec pottery

He equally has some incredible lyrics and did start out by winning rap battles so his lyrical talent is obvious.
I forgot K-Rino. The guy is pretty amazing with his lyrics imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You guys have pretty much named the stuff you need to listen to if you like rap.

Hip Hop is in a terrible state for the most part in the current music scene , Deep House is my new love .

Check out what they did with a classic A Tribe Called Quest song

[video="youtube;Nzkyn1-70gE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzkyn1-70gE&list=UUXIyz409s7bNWVcM-vjfdVA[/video]
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
You guys have pretty much named the stuff you need to listen to if you like rap.

Hip Hop is in a terrible state for the most part in the current music scene , Deep House is my new love .

Check out what they did with a classic A Tribe Called Quest song

[video="youtube;Nzkyn1-70gE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzkyn1-70gE&list=UUXIyz409s7bNWVcM-vjfdVA[/video]

This is dope.

Oi do you know if these have done a remix of Electric relaxation
Original post by niceguy95
This is dope.

Oi do you know if these have done a remix of Electric relaxation

I know right ? Deep House is like the modern day equivalent of soul , don't let its name put you off.

That would be something else , I don't think they have though unfortunately . If you like the sound of that though take a look at some of the other songs on the channel till you find something you like the sound off . If you have a good set of speakers / headphones that stuff can really take you places.
Original post by yo radical one
Loads of stuff Lowkey, Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks do is wacky conspiratarded nonsense. Honestly the stuff about guns, bitches and bling and less socially damaging that the "real" stuff

EDIT: Public Enemy are good though

*Clonk*

That's the sound of a nail being hit on the head.

I have an irrational hatred of political Hip-Hop, it's got it's place but most of these rappers just piss me off, championed as real talk chatters of Hip-Hop by their cult like fan bases (who feel enlightened because they heard Obamanation) but they're not.

I like Public Enemy because their sound is more abrasive & interesting, and Chuck D is angry and rebellious rather than pompous and preachy like Lowkey and other rappers of his ilk are. Chuck feels far more genuine.
Reply 30
ignore
Original post by 419
ignore

We do anyway mate :aetsch:
Reply 32
Original post by Wilfred Little
We do anyway mate :aetsch:

Must be hard when your team aren't playing and having to watch everyone else :ahee: Condolences.
Original post by 419
Must be hard when your team aren't playing and having to watch everyone else :ahee: Condolences.

Thanks mate.
Reply 34
This is lowkeys area bro... The king of the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Wilfred Little
Thanks mate.

Need that khan pm fella. Damn your week must've been boring you had to get fictional. Hope whatever you dreamt up comes through. Hate that khan kid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 419
Need that khan pm fella. Damn your week must've been boring you had to get fictional. Hope whatever you dreamt up comes through. Hate that khan kid.

FWIW I didn't make anything up, just saw rumours of him being caught sniffing and cheating on his wife (guess where :rolleyes:) which were supposed to break in the tabloids today so thought I'd post it and get people to bite.

Saying that - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/5401903/Love-cheat-boxer-Amir-Khans-session-at-sexy-brunettes-flat.html

From The Sun today. I do think he likes to dabble to be fair and am surprised it's not been exposed.
Reply 37
dälek.

Quick Reply

Latest