Choo.choo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I would like to ask for people's opinions on a choice of two universities to study business. I am choosing between Strathclyde University and Glasgow Caledonian - which would you choose and why?
If there are any former graduates on the thread who can offer their opinions, please do.
All opinions welcome. Thanks.
Hanover
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Choo.choo)
I would like to ask for people's opinions on a choice of two universities to study business. I am choosing between Strathclyde University and Glasgow Caledonian - which would you choose and why?
If there are any former graduates on the thread who can offer their opinions, please do.
All opinions welcome. Thanks.
Definitely Strathlyde - its business school is one of the best in Scotland/the UK. The university of Glasgow is good, but not Glasgow Caledonian!
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hanover)
Definitely Strathlyde - its business school is one of the best in Scotland/the UK. The university of Glasgow is good, but not Glasgow Caledonian!
Why not Caledonian?
I am planning to enter in 3rd year with an HND qualification.
Is Strathclyde not for the really bright people?
According to Unistats, some of the business courses are rates higher at Caledonian, but I wanted to ask on here for opinions.
Hanover
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why not Caledonian?
I am planning to enter in 3rd year with an HND qualification.
Is Strathclyde not for the really bright people?
According to Unistats, some of the business courses are rates higher at Caledonian, but I wanted to ask on here for opinions.
Caledonian's courses have a very low entry requirement, which indicates that courses/degrees are not very popular or respected. Strathclyde has a stricter policy for entry. It really depends on your grade! If you're at ABB-AAA, I recommend Starthclyde. (Not only the brightes people go there lol)
Also Strathclyde is listed as a Top business school by many institutions such as the Guardian/Times/Complete etc. Look:

http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/b...d-kingdom.html
Ambry
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Strathclyde has a great reputation for business, and has a better reputation overall than Glasgow Caledonian. I would apply to both but take it from the opinion of someone who lives near both universities and the calibre of people who get into them- Strathclyde is harder to get into and has a better reputation. It's business courses are respected, and I don't think you can go wrong with it.

If you want to think of it like this, a lot of the time Caledonian is maybe someone's back-up choice university, when Strathclyde would probably be one of their first choices. It doesn't mean Caledonian is a bad university- it actually looks really nice and has a gorgeous, modern campus.

If you can, visit both and get a feel for the universities and see which one you might prefer.
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Caledonian's courses have a very low entry requirement, which indicates that courses/degrees are not very popular or respected. Strathclyde has a stricter policy for entry. It really depends on your grade! If you're at ABB-AAA, I recommend Starthclyde. (Not only the brightes people go there lol)
Also Strathclyde is listed as a Top business school by many institutions such as the Guardian/Times/Complete etc. Look:

http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/b...d-kingdom.html
I am aiming to enter a degree course in 2nd or 3rd year.
I have applied for 2nd year entry at Strathclyde, as they do not admit students directly into 3rd year, and have also applied for 3rd year entry at UWS for Business, and 2nd and 3rd year at Caledonian for Business and Management courses.
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Glasgow Caledonian does not get a mention in those tables from your link.
Hanover
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Glasgow Caledonian does not get a mention in those tables from your link.
Because it is not good enough to be listed in that ranking.
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Because it is not good enough to be listed in that ranking.
What about Unistats?
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjec...eturnTo/Search

Those are just some examples I picked out, but you can see that student satisfaction is higher at Caledonian, despite other tables not mentioning Caledonian.
Hanover
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What about Unistats?

Those are just some examples I picked out, but you can see that student satisfaction is higher at Caledonian, despite other tables not mentioning Caledonian.
Student satisfaction is not everything, many courses at Oxbridge have a bad rating, too. But if it's very important for you, so decide for Caledonian.
I was thinking more about career prospects such as employment and salary, reputation etc..
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
Student satisfaction is not everything, many courses at Oxbridge have a bad rating, too. But if it's very important for you, so decide for Caledonian.
I was thinking more about career prospects such as employment and salary, reputation etc..
My cousin did engineering at Caledonian and now has a job and putting the skills he developed during his degree to use in his new role. His friend did his engineering degree at Strathclyde and is working in retail.
Did you go to either of the two and study Business?
I just think that the workload at Strathclyde will be massive.
Hanover
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My cousin did engineering at Caledonian and now has a job and putting the skills he developed during his degree to use in his new role. His friend did his engineering degree at Strathclyde and is working in retail.
Well, you can't argue with a single case and have to consider things more generally on th whole. Going to a prestigeous university doesn't guarantee you a well-paid place, you also have to get good grades and work hard!
That's probably what happened to the friend of your cousin.

As Ambry's post above, I still recommend Strathclyde to you, but the decision is of course made by you in the end!

I would definitely go to Strathclyde if I wanted to study Business. The gap between Strathclyde and Caledonian is really huge in my opinion. But I'm going to study Finance&Economics at Lancaster or at Cass Business School.

You can't expect it to be easy if you want to get into a good university...There will be lots of work to do.
GingerGoat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anecdotal evidence is never the best to go on. Especially since Caledonian for engineering doesn't offer masters courses, meaning you cannot become a chartered engineer.

The business school is very well respected though. Caledonian doesn't have the same reputation but is good for employment.
Choo.choo
Rep:
?
What about the links with industry at Caledonian, that you don't get at Strathclyde?
I have been told that, at Strathclyde, you are left to your own devices. At Caledonian, you are given help if you need it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (86)
64.66%
I don't have everything I need (47)
35.34%

Watched Threads