The Student Room Group

Linear Algebra

Let nNn\in\mathbb{N}. Show that there exists a constant C (depending only n) such that if ARnxn A\in\mathbb{R}^{nxn}, then for all vRn,AvCAvv\in\mathbb{R}^n, ||Av|| \leq C ||A|| ||v|| . v ||v|| is defined to be the Euclidean norm for all vectors in R^n. And the norm of A is defined to be the maximum element of A (I think).
Original post by marcus2001
Let nNn\in\mathbb{N}. Show that there exists a constant C (depending only n) such that if ARnxn A\in\mathbb{R}^{nxn}, then for all vRn,AvCAvv\in\mathbb{R}^n, ||Av|| \leq C ||A|| ||v|| . v ||v|| is defined to be the Euclidean norm for all vectors in R^n. And the norm of A is defined to be the maximum element of A (I think).

If it's the max norm, then it's:

Amax=max{aij}\|A\|_{\text{max}} = \max \{|a_{ij}|\}

Long time since I looked at this. That said, it may be useful if you can use:

Av2Av1\|Av\|_2\leq \|Av\|_1 which would then allow the expansion of Av1\|Av\|_1

Depends what you've covered.

Can't offer more than that as too rusty, but there's plenty of more knowledgeable people than I on here.
Reply 2
Original post by marcus2001

By the way, you wanted \times in the superscript of the first \mathbb{R}.

The way we did it in my Analysis course was to show that the operator norm A=sup{Axx=1}||A|| = \sup\{Ax \mid |x|=1 \} is a norm, and then to show that all norms on finite-dimensional spaces are Lipschitz equivalent. That is the required result. Can you do either of those independently?

Quick Reply

Latest