Applied for business studies, no career plans... Watch

Dikembe Mutombo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there guys, I have applied for business studies at the university of Hertfordshire.

(I want to live in London and work in the city)

I am interested in Economics also and am thinking of taking the MSc... I didn't take A level maths so I'm also considering learning AS while at university!

The main problem with me is choosing a career... I like "theoretical" economics (without mathematics) but hope to become confident in Maths soon.
I enjoy the analysing the ratio's in a business (what sort of person does this as a career?) and even the accounting and finance aspects... I enjoy most topics, can't decide on one and am even critical of myself (sometimes I feel as if I won't be able to make my "dream" of working in the city come true)

Just any advice, positive or negative, tips or anything would be appreciated!
Hedgeman49
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dikembe Mutombo)
Hi there guys, I have applied for business studies at the university of Hertfordshire.

(I want to live in London and work in the city)

I am interested in Economics also and am thinking of taking the MSc... I didn't take A level maths so I'm also considering learning AS while at university!

The main problem with me is choosing a career... I like "theoretical" economics (without mathematics) but hope to become confident in Maths soon.
I enjoy the analysing the ratio's in a business (what sort of person does this as a career?) and even the accounting and finance aspects... I enjoy most topics, can't decide on one and am even critical of myself (sometimes I feel as if I won't be able to make my "dream" of working in the city come true)

Just any advice, positive or negative, tips or anything would be appreciated!
You will struggle to get anywhere in "theoretical economics" without a very strong grounding in maths.

Ratio analysis is done by lots of people, primarily management accountants and bankers. But they have software that calculates all of the ratios for them so you're not really going to be able to get a job solely for this. Ratio analysis is also a tiny part of the decision making process.

If you want to work as an IBer in the City then honestly you will probably struggle from Hertfordshire. Banks are all for prestige so unless you have really exceptional internship experience you will probably struggle to get in. Your lack of maths would also count against you.

Maybe aiming for the accounting route would be your best way into the City. Accountancy firms are much less fussy over university, often just requiring that you get between 280 and 320 UCAS (depends on firm) and a 2:1 in your degree. You could either join the finance function at a bank (maybe internal audit) or you could train at an accountancy firm and then move into the City after qualifying.
Dikembe Mutombo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Hedgeman49)
You will struggle to get anywhere in "theoretical economics" without a very strong grounding in maths.

Ratio analysis is done by lots of people, primarily management accountants and bankers. But they have software that calculates all of the ratios for them so you're not really going to be able to get a job solely for this. Ratio analysis is also a tiny part of the decision making process.

If you want to work as an IBer in the City then honestly you will probably struggle from Hertfordshire. Banks are all for prestige so unless you have really exceptional internship experience you will probably struggle to get in. Your lack of maths would also count against you.

Maybe aiming for the accounting route would be your best way into the City. Accountancy firms are much less fussy over university, often just requiring that you get between 280 and 320 UCAS (depends on firm) and a 2:1 in your degree. You could either join the finance function at a bank (maybe internal audit) or you could train at an accountancy firm and then move into the City after qualifying.
Thank you!
I am seriously considering taking AS maths (at least) privately whilst at university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (178)
24.02%
Pop (181)
24.43%
Jazz (30)