The Student Room Group

I read that student finance will stop giving out loans from 2016?

Is this true? Will the UK university system basically turn into the US system?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Source?

I call BS.
Whaatt??!!:eek:
If this is real i'll be getting my pitchfork out and overthrowing the government or be shot trying
Original post by Катя

In other news, pigs can fly and hell has frozen over.
Original post by Катя

Where did you read this?
Reply 6
Original post by alow
Source?

I call BS.

Most recently, on this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=46113155

Give me two minutes and I'll find the article I found about a month or so ago...
Original post by Катя

Give me two minutes and I'll find the article I found about a month or so ago...

I think they're talking about masters degrees.
Reply 8
Original post by Катя

That's about the welsh government partially paying for tuition fees.
Reply 9
While I'm here, though, can I just ask: what, exactly, was the reasoning behind making English students pay much, much more for uni than those who live in Scotland (and go to Scottish unis)? Surely we are all part of the UK and therefore should have to pay equal amounts for UK universities? (Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've been annoyed at this for a while)
Reply 10
Original post by John Stuart Mill
I think they're talking about masters degrees.

Oh right, okay.

I can't find the post I meant right now, but the argument, essentially, went like this: Tories like privatising everything, and if the current trend continues (Royal Mail sold off, train prices rising, etc), then by the time we get to 2017 or whatever, uni here will be like in the US (either pay because you have rich parents, or go into extortionate debt, or be poor and get into a very rich uni).

Personally I think even putting fees up to £9k was bordering on insanity all the other EU countries seem to manage fine on far smaller amounts, even for free but I digress.
Thank God I'm already at Uni then.
Original post by Катя

WAAAAAAAIT! That's my post. Right now the Welsh government covers some of our tuition fees so we only pay up to £3k. Because most of those students don't come and work back in Wales, it's a loss. It's probable that in 2016 they'll decide to stop paying out because it's up to £6k per student.
Reply 13
Original post by electra<3
WAAAAAAAIT! That's my post. Right now the Welsh government covers some of our tuition fees so we only pay up to £3k. Because most of those students don't come and work back in Wales, it's a loss. It's probable that in 2016 they'll decide to stop paying out because it's up to £6k per student.

Oh, I'm sorry :frown: I guess I wasn't reading carefully enough. I just saw the "might stop funding" part and panicked, because I was planning on applying to uni in 2016 at the earliest.

And articles like this don't help, either:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24444600

...really don't understand why education being turned into a "market" is a good thing, but there you go.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Катя
Oh, I'm sorry :frown: I guess I wasn't reading carefully enough. I just saw the "might stop funding" part and panicked, because I was planning on applying to uni in 2016 at the earliest.

And articles like this don't help, either:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24444600

...really don't understand why education being turned into a "market" is a good thing, but there you go.

Don't worry about it, it's easy to misread something when you've already got an idea in your head :smile: Yeaaaah it's frustrating :/ I was actually seriously considering studying somewhere else in Europe seeing as they're much cheaper or completely free and offer courses in English in some places but I changed my mind around November.
Reply 15
Original post by Катя
Oh right, okay.

I can't find the post I meant right now, but the argument, essentially, went like this: Tories like privatising everything, and if the current trend continues (Royal Mail sold off, train prices rising, etc), then by the time we get to 2017 or whatever, uni here will be like in the US (either pay because you have rich parents, or go into extortionate debt, or be poor and get into a very rich uni).

Personally I think even putting fees up to £9k was bordering on insanity all the other EU countries seem to manage fine on far smaller amounts, even for free but I digress.

Whoa, that's total speculation.

You read, that some guy, thinks that it may happen...
Reply 16
Original post by Jizzle88
Whoa, that's total speculation.

You read, that some guy, thinks that it may happen...

I know, like I said, I panicked.

However, given what's been happening so far, I wouldn't be too surprised if this actually does happen.
Reply 17
Panic over guys
Reply 18
Original post by Катя
I know, like I said, I panicked.

However, given what's been happening so far, I wouldn't be too surprised if this actually does happen.

True enough, I am studying in Ireland and the same is happening here. The Provost is battling with the backlash over his proposals to totally privatise the institution.

There are no loans, but students can apply for free fee's on a means tested basis here.

Being totally skint, I get an allowance as-well, but the days of free-fees and allowances are numbered, It is only a matter of time until the last ladder of the class system is pulled up.
Original post by electra<3

Wait, if you live in Wales and want to study in England, you apply for student finance Wales and only have to pay £3K? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending