The Student Room Group

Running outdoors Vs Treadmill running

Hi there! I'm an avid runner and like running both on treadmills and outdoors.

Some questions I ask myself or people ask me and I don't know how to reply:

- Does running on the treadmill train more specific muscle areas compared to running outdoors?
- Is running on the treadmill less straining on the joints and therefore better in the long run? (Haha good pun there)
- Does running on the treadmill reduce wear and tear on the soles of sports shoes compared to running on the pavement?

Which do you prefer and why? :smile:
Original post by nghz

- Does running on the treadmill train more specific muscle areas compared to running outdoors?
- Is running on the treadmill less straining on the joints and therefore better in the long run? (Haha good pun there)
- Does running on the treadmill reduce wear and tear on the soles of sports shoes compared to running on the pavement?

Don't know what you mean by more specific muscle areas?

If you train properly then running isn't bad for your joints, it's good for them.

It will be about the same... don't think there would be a massive difference in shoe wear :dontknow:

Running on the treadmill is a lot easier. The ground is moving underneath you so you don't have to push yourself forward, your foot is taken from underneath you, so you're using a lot less muscle and energy.

I prefer outdoors; hills, rain, fresh air, harder.
Running outdoors always trumps running on a treadmill, in my opinion. It's a far more natural movement, because you're obviously using your body to propel you forward (not the treadmill belt).. thus more benefit.

Plus you get some Vitamin D and fresh air.
Reply 3
I run both on a treadmill and outside but definitely prefer running outside. On a lovely day running along Brighton seafront it's great!

I find that I can run faster on a treadmill as my pace is constant but there is no way I could run the distance I run outdoors on a treadmill.
Reply 4
As others have said running on a treadmill is definitely easier than running outdoors. You're not actively pushing against the air, there's no wind pushing against you, no variation in altitude throughout the run etc.

Additionally running on the treadmill surface which is springy gives you more energy back with each stride, opposed to running on concrete which saps more of your energy.

Can't beat a long run outdoors in the summer and a cold shower after!
Running on the treadmill can be really boring I find

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nghz

the treadmill is slightly bouncier so it will be less impact however it just isn't the same as running outside, it's not as good of an exercise and will not work quite as many muscle groups

I hate treadmills, I get bored after about 10 minutes
Reply 7
There's probably a slight difficulty difference, but these days you can use treadmills to run up hill and I find I can reach faster speeds on them (falling off is undignified, necessity is the mother of hardwork..). Yet, storming up a hill in the woods under the sun and the tree cover is unbeatable. Nothing like a long, long outdoor run to make you feel alive.
Reply 8
I find running outside a lot easier than running on a treadmill. (But to be fair, I always fun at, at least a 5% incline on the treadmill)

Running outside is better anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest