The Student Room Group

Shortening the break on the pill?

Hi this is kind of urgent, but I take Microgynon 30 back to back and when I do I suffer for doing so with light spotting. I realise that if I take my 7 day break then resume the pill I won't bleed (done it before) but because I'm seeing my boyfriend at the weekend and I'm sick of the spotting I was wondering if it would be ok (I know I won't be covered but I don't plan on having sex yet and if I do I would make sure we used protection) to miss the last pill in the packet and take a 4 day break? (or take the last pill in the packet and have a 3 day break?)

please help! Need an answer ASAP! :s-smilie:
Reply 1
You're covered in terms of contraception - the 'only protected after a week if you didn't start taking it from day one of your period' is for the first pack. From then on, if you don't miss taking for two days when you're in a middle of a pack or delay starting a new pack for nine days, it works.

So there's no problem in just taking a three day break rather than seven. Whether it will work in terms of spotting, I don't know.
Reply 2
If you've already ran some packs together it's fine to do either of the things you've said (as long as you've had at least 21 active pills in a row, you can have a break of up to 7 days). You will still be protected. However, it may not make any difference in terms of stopping your period earlier - it definitely doesn't work for me.
Reply 3
Original post by unprinted
You're covered in terms of contraception - the 'only protected after a week if you didn't start taking it from day one of your period' is for the first pack. From then on, if you don't miss taking for two days when you're in a middle of a pack or delay starting a new pack for nine days, it works.

So there's no problem in just taking a three day break rather than seven. Whether it will work in terms of spotting, I don't know.

Ahh thank you, now I really don't know what to do!
Reply 4
Original post by cijordan
Ahh thank you, now I really don't know what to do!

He probably really doesn't mind the spotting: given the choice between doing sexual stuff and spotting or not doing sexual stuff because of spotting, most men go for the former...

Quick Reply

Latest