The Student Room Group

Overt BBC Leftist Bias

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Generations have been indoctrinated in schools to the tune of the left, most people dont even notice any more. Many others are fully aware and approve wholeheartedly.
Reply 2
This example was particularly unashamed propeganda.
Reply 3
Channel 4 runs that show Benefits Street, which more than balances it out.
The BBC are biased to whoever is in power. It's a pretty simple concept which both sides could do well to realise.

http://www.newstatesman.com/broadcast/2013/08/hard-evidence-how-biased-bbc
It's disgusting, and one of the worst things is how many people believe that the BBC is something they can totally trust, the one that's "on our side", that will give a totally fair, unbiased view of politics.
I agree, it cannot justify it.
The licence fee needs to be got rid of though, not just for the BBC to somehow become unbiased (mostly as that's impossible).
Reply 6
Why is a leftist bias inherently bad?
Original post by Катя

1.Because people should get an objective view of things and then draw their own conclusions from them.
2. Because Labour might get re-elected, and **** up the economy again, (Splitting banks up, 50p tax etc.)
Reply 8
Original post by tengentoppa
1.Because people should get an objective view of things and then draw their own conclusions from them.
2. Because Labour might get re-elected, and **** up the economy again, (Splitting banks up, 50p tax etc.)

Does leftist mean Labour in this context, then?

I'm fairly sure I've never seen a 100% bias-free TV show/newspaper, but as far as biases go, I'd rather have a leftist one (supporting positive freedom, ie. possession of power and resources to fulfil one's own potential) than a rightist one (supporting negative freedom, ie. absence of external constraints).
The BBC have always been pro everything that isn't British in my opinion. They often display overt anti-British opinions, beliefs and ideals.

And this is comming from a Spanish person.
Original post by nohomo
Channel 4 runs that show Benefits Street, which more than balances it out.

Benefits Street doesn't have any narration or editorial line; it's a documentary in the old-fashioned sense: observations of things that are happening without comment.

Катя
I'm fairly sure I've never seen a 100% bias-free TV show/newspaper, but as far as biases go, I'd rather have a leftist one (supporting positive freedom, ie. possession of power and resources to fulfil one's own potential) than a rightist one (supporting negative freedom, ie. absence of external constraints).

The BBC is funded by taxation, so it denies those who disagree with its editorial line possession of power and resources to fulfil their potential.
Reply 11
Original post by Катя

Because the BBC is publicly funded and has no place taking a partisan stance.
BBC = propaganda and brainwash.

OP, it's time you grew up and realised that there is no political left or right anymore. There is only the increasing merger of state and corporate powers.
I think that the BBC was probably first accused of left wing bias in around November 1922.
Reply 14
might get re-elected, and **** up the economy again, (Splitting banks up, 50p tax etc

Splitting banks up, 50p tax

Splitting banks up,

I this a ****ing joke?
You think it's good for them to have a monopoly and be so obviously colluding together constantly?
Typical brain dead Tory.
Reply 15
Original post by Катя
Does leftist mean Labour in this context, then?

Well, I prefer the rightist one. So where does that leave us?
Reply 16
BBC = biased brainwashing corporation. okay maybe I'm kidding, but it *does* seemed to be explicitly left wing at times when they go for right wing individuals during interviews (whether we're under a tory government or not). for example, UKIP have, perhaps until very recently *always* been on the receiving end to some bbc spin scoop - they have their times, but the bbc inflates it and stirs it up. it's not just against the right wing, it's anything that's against the grain e.g. particularly anything against the monarchy. I remember watching andrew marr interviewing david cameron when the war in syria was all over the news - he seemed *so* keen to steer david cameron into sending us to war. I think the only person on BBC that I *haven't* seen act biased at one stage in their life is david dimbleby, but again, that's not too difficult if you're job is a debate moderator.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Zorgotron
Well, I prefer the rightist one. So where does that leave us?

Online news sources, haha. You have the Daily Mail and the Telegraph and I'll have the Guardian and the New Statesman. :tongue:
Well that was 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Just seemed incredibly boring and dull to me.

I don't see any particular bias. What exactly is the supposed bias here?
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Because the BBC is publicly funded and has no place taking a partisan stance.

Why not? Pretty much everything else that's publicly funded is 'biased' in its particular industry. Indeed, the entire point of publicly funded industries is to 'correct' whatever 'biases' would be present without it.

Not that the BBC actually does this, but the point still stands.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending