moodywing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hey guys, I got an offer from CASS and UCL for msc management.
Which one is better? I heard that CASS business school is very famous in UK and it is ranked in the top 5 business school in UK and even 2nd in master in management in the financial times. However, the reputation of city university is not quite good and not very well-known compared to UCL.
UCL management course is very new and Im scared that the career support and alumni would not be as good as CASS. Please help meee..
PS. Im an international student which would like to work in consultant field or large companies such as Unilever. I want to work in London a few years and then back to my home country,Thailand.
ThX
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have also received an offer from Cass Business School for MSc management programme. I have heard that course content for current MSc is far too difficult especially for students who have not attended business and economic courses during their undergraduate studies. However, is there any enrolled student who can confirm this statement ?
m0hd_J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does cass do undergrad or just postgrad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by m0hd_J)
Does cass do undergrad or just postgrad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
They do both. Here's the undergrad ranking for associated studies (4th).

http://www.theguardian.com/education...gement-studies

The website:

http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate
m0hd_J
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
They do both. Here's the undergrad ranking for associated studies (4th).

http://www.theguardian.com/education...gement-studies

The website:

http://www.cass.city.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate
I want to do economics at uni to help myself become a successful trader, would you recommend I do economics or the finance and investment degrees they offer at City?

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I want to do economics at uni to help myself become a successful trader, would you recommend I do economics or the finance and investment degrees they offer at City?
Personally, whichever you enjoy. To get into Investment Banking (such as myself) you need to look primarily at the university you attend. You'd want to do some form of quantitative subject at Target/Semi-Target universities. It's important to note the distinction between City university & Cass business school, which is what its known for. They offer 6 subjects:

Accounting & Finance
Acturial Science
Banking & International Finance
Business Studies
Investment & Financial Risk Management
Management

For British graduates entering investment banking on graduate schemes in London (this accounts for approximately 90% of the intake), there is a clear trend of preference amongst the banks for Oxbridge and Russell Group graduates, although investment banks do accept applications from all university graduates. Attending LSE/UCL/ Warwick/ Imperial/Cass Business School is also beneficial.

The majority of the intake top tier front office roles at the top 6 investment banks, namely Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, UBS and JPMorgan will come from the top 6 universities on the list.
Below that, candidates from universities further down the list will find it easier to get into middle-office or back-office roles, and may be able to access front-office roles at non-big 6 banks such as ABN Amro, BNP Paribas and Commerzbank.
http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/investment-banking

Take a read of that link.
m0hd_J
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How long would a postgrad in investment & risk management be?
Also, which route are you taking to get into banking? I'm 16 and although I know it's early, I'm just curious..

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How long would a postgrad in investment & risk management be?
Also, which route are you taking to get into banking? I'm 16 and although I know it's early, I'm just curious..
MSc's are generally one year, full time, although you'd need to have studied an associated quantitative degree preferably at a top institution to get into Cass. I've recently been on a pre-uni AC workshop Credit Suisse. They recommended Cass due to the vocational aspects of the degree and the ease in transferability. I'll be starting 'BSc Investment & Financial Risk Management' with Cass in aims to becoming a trader.
Selym95
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Always risky going for a brand new degree. However, as a consolation, it's at UCL - one of the most prestigious and historic universities in England. For that reason, in many professional careers you will see a strong alumni support. One would assume the course wouldn't be too shabby either.

CASS is good. You will find an acceptable alumni support in certain professions i.e. finance, perhaps not as much as UCL. UCL will have alumni in a wider range of professions, however.
m0hd_J
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How much does Cass charge for a one year postgrad position?

Posted from TSR Mobile
m0hd_J
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also, what a levels do you guys recommend I take?
I'm already choosing maths and economics.
Also, I already know I don't want to take f.maths and a language so any other suggestions would be of great help!
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
ThX
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just got my offer from UCL for MSc in Management. I have also received an offer from Cass Business School for MSc in Management programme. I have been told that MSc in Management at Cass Business School is a tough one, not to mention the fact that its course content has 19 core modules. I am also waiting for my scheduled interview at Imperial College (MSc in Management). My field of studies has to do with Agricultural and Food Sciences and my aspiration is to find a job in a multinational consumer goods company at London, such as Unilever, Diageo, Procter & Gamble, etc. I am a little bit confused. Any advice ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
8%
I need help researching courses (5)
10%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
48%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
20%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6%

Watched Threads