scientific222
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Could someone explain to me what is happening in this question? Why are the field lines going from the positive V plates to the 0V plate. If this is the case, does a higher voltage not lead to a strong electric field strength, why are the electric field strength lines the same from both plates(600V and 1200V) going to the 0V?

Name:  Electric.PNG
Views: 158
Size:  237.9 KB
Advertisement
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by scientific222)
Could someone explain to me what is happening in this question? Why are the field lines going from the positive V plates to the 0V plate. If this is the case, does a higher voltage not lead to a strong electric field strength, why are the electric field strength lines the same from both plates(600V and 1200V) going to the 0V?

Name:  Electric.PNG
Views: 158
Size:  237.9 KB
Electric fields are defined by a convention and always from the more +ve potential to the more -ve potential. An electric field is a description of the electrostatic force a charged particle will experience at any point in 3d space within the vicinity of other charged particles.

The plates have an accumulation of charge on them and this is represented by the voltage depicting the potential energy of that charge as a Voltage (Joules per coulomb of charge).

In this question 0V is more -ve than both +600V and +1200V and hence the direction of the field lines.

The parallel spacing of the field lines is not an indication of field strength at any given point. They are a representation that the field strength is the same at all points on any line parallel with the plates and the grid.
scientific222
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Electric fields are defined by a convention and always from the more +ve potential to the more -ve potential. An electric field is a description of the electrostatic force a charged particle will experience at any point in 3d space within the vicinity of other charged particles.

The plates have an accumulation of charge on them and this is represented by the voltage depicting the potential energy of that charge as a Voltage (Joules per coulomb of charge).

In this question 0V is more -ve than both +600V and +1200V and hence the direction of the field lines.

The parallel spacing of the field lines is not an indication of field strength at any given point. They are a representation that the field strength is the same at all points on any line parallel with the plates and the grid.
Thanks. However I am still confused about the last part. My book says that the spacing of the field lines indicates the strength of the electric field. But you are saying the spacing is not an indication of field strength. In this diagram is it not true that if you put a +ve charge close to the 600V and the same +ve charge close to the 1200V, the electric field strength is different at both those points?
Advertisement
krisshP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
E=V/d
E=p.d. Across plates / plates separation

That tells us the electric field strength.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks. However I am still confused about the last part. My book says that the spacing of the field lines indicates the strength of the electric field.
That is true, but in this it is overriden by the statement at the bottom of the page which reads:

"Field lines equally spaced to show uniform field".

Uniformity and strength are not the same thing.

Think about it:

The force on any given particle is given by Coulombs law F = kQ1Q2/d2

If the separation of the field lines indicates field strength (the lines must diverge as they recede from the plates), they cannot then indicate a uniform field at all places (parallel lines) and vice versa.
Advertisement
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks. However I am still confused about the last part. My book says that the spacing of the field lines indicates the strength of the electric field.
Normally that would be true. However the statement at the bottom of the page overrides it in this particular case by saying "Field lines equally spaced to show uniform field"

In this diagram is it not true that if you put a +ve charge close to the 600V and the same +ve charge close to the 1200V, the electric field strength is different at both those points?
Yes it is true. However, the example is trying to depict uniformity of the field as a concept and not a representation of the relative field strength between the plates and grid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads