Help me plan my history essay please!!! Watch

nottspolitics
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys, I have to write this essay:

What were the primary objectives of French immigration policy between 1945 and 1980 and how successfully were those objectives realised?

So my main argument will be that up until the 1970s French immigration policy was relatively successful as during that period workers were needed for industrial jobs etc.. however, after this period due to mass unemployment and the rise of the tertiary sector, the French government attempted to rid itself of many non-European immigrants with potentially racist policies, however, these policies did not work and in turn increased the number of non-European immigrants in French life.

So my question is how would I structure this essay? Would I write about each policy and then its effects? Would I split the essay into two firstly talking about successful policies and then unsuccessful policies? I am not really sure, I haven't really ever done a history essay so any help would be great!

Thanks
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're probably best off speaking to your tutor about how to structure your assignment, only they will know what they want out of your work and what to include within the word limit.
nottspolitics
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know what I'm doing just the structure is a bit hard, I've spoken to him and he really isn't much help...
GoingToBurst
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I'm structuring essays I like to do a mind map. I'll put the question in the centre (sometimes the middle of the page, sometimes a bit nearer the top, it depends really) and then add everything I want to include in my essay. Then I just figure out the structure from there, it's much easier for me.

Personally, I would focus on each policy and how they were successful (or not), based on the question.
I'm not sure if you do this, but I always really analyse the essay question, I don't just read it and start writing, I pick out the key words, consider why those particular words have been chosen for the essay and what they suggest about the structure, consider if there are any other ways it could be construed and whether that would be an appropriate way to answer the essay or not etc etc.
After doing that, the structure comes pretty naturally.
ArchaeoStudy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You could try the PEE structure:

Point
Evidence
Explain

Each body paragraph should have this basic structure. I found this really useful, and that if I didn't use it I went off in a bit of a tangent :')

Don't forget your introduction and your conclusion

I hope this was somewhat helpful. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Useful book on studying History - which includes sensible advice on writing essays - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-His.../dp/1403987343
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads