Is it normal to be asked what other universities you are applying to?

Watch
aadharshd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am an international applicant who had applied to Queen's University, Belfast, for Medicine. I can say that the interview went quite well. However at the end of the interview, the panel asked me where else have I applied and I answered truthfully. I also mentioned that I had applied outside the UK.

Normally they aren't supposed to ask this question but was it a good thing or bad thing that they asked me? What it good that I answered truthfully (even about the universities outside of UK)?

So far people have just told me its because they were wondering whether I have applied to anything higher since I'm an impressive candidate. However the interviewers also knew that this was my first interview.

I would like to hear your thoughts.
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by aadharshd)
I am an international applicant who had applied to Queen's University, Belfast, for Medicine. I can say that the interview went quite well. However at the end of the interview, the panel asked me where else have I applied and I answered truthfully. I also mentioned that I had applied outside the UK.

Normally they aren't supposed to ask this question but was it a good thing or bad thing that they asked me? What it good that I answered truthfully (even about the universities outside of UK)?

So far people have just told me its because they were wondering whether I have applied to anything higher since I'm an impressive candidate. However the interviewers also knew that this was my first interview.

I would like to hear your thoughts.
QUB does mmi not panel interview.
And I've never heard someone be asked that.
I'm inclined to call TROLL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
AnonymousPenguin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I chatted to one of the interviewers at Dundee about where I am applying in an informal way. I doubt they'd ever be so unprofessional to let it influence how they mark your application.
aadharshd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by emma201295)
QUB does mmi not panel interview.
And I've never heard someone be asked that.
I'm inclined to call TROLL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. I am an international applicant. I had my interview in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. You can ask anyone who has had their interviews outside of the UK and they will tell you that it was a panel interview because the logistics for setting up an MMI interview outside of their campus is staggering and will be extremely difficult.

2. Before you go ahead and call someone a troll without knowing everything, at least try to think why would I troll about such a topic. :unimpressed:
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Should have told them you had an unconditional offer into the third year of the course at Bath. Then they would know you are not to be messed with.

But honestly, its a bit naughty of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (12)
40%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
13.33%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
6.67%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (6)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (3)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads