Travelling europe alone at 17? possible interrailing? Watch

damnation
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm 16 now, will be 17 by the time summer starts. My parents are extremely strict and would die before letting me travel alone but I have such a strong desire to travel, and have become very independent, and i think I'm prepared to travel alone. I'm in england,i don't have anyone i can travel with (no friends/companions/whatever)and although my parents said they would consider letting me go on a summer camp or organized course,they turn down all the ones i suggested and its come to the point I can't take it and will calmly rebel.I've been saving and since its against my parents' will, they will physically try to block the doorway when i want to leave, never mind giving me any money towards it-so I have little to spend.I don't intend to stay abroad for more than a couple of weeks, who knows, i might come back in the first 5 days, but i want to try. I understand the safety and difficulty issues, I'm looking into them as closely as i can.
Is interrailing a good idea or will it not make a difference to normal transport apart from the fact its easier to get on a train?
Is it really such a stupid idea? I come across lots of articles of people doing the same at this age, and i know it will take guts and be hard, but i want to do this more than anything. I can't go a day without thinking about it, and haven't been able to for ages. What do you think?
puella_optima
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by damnation)
I'm 16 now, will be 17 by the time summer starts. My parents are extremely strict and would die before letting me travel alone but I have such a strong desire to travel, and have become very independent, and i think I'm prepared to travel alone. I'm in england,i don't have anyone i can travel with (no friends/companions/whatever)and although my parents said they would consider letting me go on a summer camp or organized course,they turn down all the ones i suggested and its come to the point I can't take it and will calmly rebel.I've been saving and since its against my parents' will, they will physically try to block the doorway when i want to leave, never mind giving me any money towards it-so I have little to spend.I don't intend to stay abroad for more than a couple of weeks, who knows, i might come back in the first 5 days, but i want to try. I understand the safety and difficulty issues, I'm looking into them as closely as i can.
Is interrailing a good idea or will it not make a difference to normal transport apart from the fact its easier to get on a train?
Is it really such a stupid idea? I come across lots of articles of people doing the same at this age, and i know it will take guts and be hard, but i want to do this more than anything. I can't go a day without thinking about it, and haven't been able to for ages. What do you think?
I'm in a similar-ish boat to you, all my 'friends' have gone and booked a holiday without me and I'm really upset: they know I wanted to travel but don't care. (I'm 18 and will finish school in a few months, woo!) So am thinking of going interrailing alone too, hopefully meet people on my travels and make friends with them! I think it is possible but I'd like to talk to someone who's already done it and do some research into safety issues: i.e. the safest way to go, spotting stranger danger. But I don't think you should defy your parents trust. They would never let you out again! Maybe gather all the information you need, thorough plan and 'present' your plans to them in a mature, adult way. Show that you're responsible good luck xx
contradicta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't offer any advice on interailling but you mention a summer camp. I went to one last summer, and in the morning you do french lessons but in the afternoon you are free to do whatever (eg. hop on the bus and go to Nice, Monaco wherever without adult supervision) or go on the supervised activities.

As long as your parents fill in all the forms they probably wont realise the amount of freedom you get (mine didn't until I told them about being allowed to go out alone)

http://www.centremed.monte-carlo.mc/eng/french_courses_juniors.php
damnation
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by puella_optima)
I'm in a similar-ish boat to you, all my 'friends' have gone and booked a holiday without me and I'm really upset: they know I wanted to travel but don't care. (I'm 18 and will finish school in a few months, woo!) So am thinking of going interrailing alone too, hopefully meet people on my travels and make friends with them! I think it is possible but I'd like to talk to someone who's already done it and do some research into safety issues: i.e. the safest way to go, spotting stranger danger. But I don't think you should defy your parents trust. They would never let you out again! Maybe gather all the information you need, thorough plan and 'present' your plans to them in a mature, adult way. Show that you're responsible good luck xx
Thanks! Have you ever travelled without your parents before? Even if I organize it immaculately what they can't deal with is the fact that I'll be by myself and in the 'real, open world', and they can't be there to see every thing I do
New...Romantic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
16/17 sounds very young to me but I know some people are really independent at that age. Have you done a lot of travelling alone in the UK? Long distance trains or coaches? I went interrailing last year, I was only away for a week and went with my best friend and I'm 23. I would have hated going alone. I think if you're going for a long period of time and are flexible with where you're going then you can meet people to travel with in hostels etc but in a week or two I just don't think you would. There are tour companies that do organised tours over a week or two but you might have to be 18.

It just depends how independent and confident you are. I don't want to put you off but I'm not sure you'll enjoy it that much, especially with a small budget and being under 18 although I don't think Europe are as strict on ID. Have you considered maybe a city break for a long weekend this summer and saving up to go travelling next year when you're 18? Your parents might be happier if you're staying in one place.
puella_optima
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by damnation)
Thanks! Have you ever travelled without your parents before? Even if I organize it immaculately what they can't deal with is the fact that I'll be by myself and in the 'real, open world', and they can't be there to see every thing I do
No, never travelled alone. Flown alone to various places, done european exchanges/home stays. Traveled with school in the India Himalaya. I just want to see the world and I've spoken to some really interesting travellers! My parents themselves haven't done proper travelling so it's difficult to persuade them otherwise. My mum isn't keen on the idea, especially first time travelling. I'm desperately trying to convince someone to go with me and I'm going to talk to the German teacher at my school and ask if I could have some lessons to learn basic/essential German too

French and Spanish, then to a much lesser extent Italian I think I can get by with. Just the German!
They need to let us fly the nest, and if we break our wing it's ours to fix now :hippie:

There's so much stranger danger these days which makes everyone so pessimistic about everyone else, it's such a shame!!!
Cait Boyle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey! In a similar boat. I'm 19, and am desperate to do a couple of weeks interrailing (probably at the beginning of September before I go back to uni), but am most likely going to be on my own too. I'd love to meet up with people on the way, or even better go with a few people.
cuckoo99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
go with friends is all i can say...
NaheemK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you guys seen the movie taken? Yeah, don't go with a stupid friend

Posted from TSR Mobile
trustmeimlying1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cait Boyle)
Hey! In a similar boat. I'm 19, and am desperate to do a couple of weeks interrailing (probably at the beginning of September before I go back to uni), but am most likely going to be on my own too. I'd love to meet up with people on the way, or even better go with a few people.
yee two could go together
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads