This discussion is closed.
ifeelcreative
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey everyone,
I'm an international student and I got a conditional offer for Law at Lancaster Uni. I've been told that it's a small town so not much is going on there and that worries me a bit. What have you heard?
panda192
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Uni is what you make of it. Being a small town doesn't hamper your social life. The shopping is terrible but Manchester and Liverpool are really close by so its not too bad. Your social life is more dependent on who you make friends with not on how big the town is.
MalteseMalteser
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it's a small town but it's location allows you to do a lot of things. It's close to Liverpool and Manchester if your shopping isn't satisfying enough in the town centre, and there's regular trains up to the Lake District if you feel like going to a nice walk. There are a lot of things to utilise on campus though, such as the cinema and the gym, as well as the library. During Freshers week, just get to know everyone in your house and stick together. Join societies and branch out, make new friends. Indeed, one of my good friends who I play rugby with is an international law student himself - he even lives in my house! Nightlife in Lancaster is pretty good in my opinion (compared to where I come from down South) so you're unlikely to get bored, no two nights are the same and the college JCR's (the guys who order events and stuff around campus and beyond) normally organise trips to other cities for shopping sprees or nights out (my college, Lonsdale, went to Manchester for the evening in December, for example)
legaleagle1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Congrats! I'm a third year law student, like the others said, Lancaster isn't great for nights out but that is not to say that there aren't places to go. There are several bars/clubs, though obviously not as many as big cities, and I Manchester is just less than an hour away if you prefer something livelier. That said, I'm from Newcastle originally so was used to major nights out, but I have never found the transition to Lancs a problem. I suppose it's what you make it, and has a lot to do with the friends you choose to go with!
ifeelcreative
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I think that what worries me most is the fact that I don't find making new friends that easy. Of course now that I come to think about it maybe a small town will be better for me. I don't come from a big city (I'm from Cyprus and big cities are sort of unknown to us) so adjusting to the new environment will be significantly easier. Anyway, thank you all for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
MalteseMalteser
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ifeelcreative)
I think that what worries me most is the fact that I don't find making new friends that easy.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha now this is a situation that I'm pretty sure most university students have been in, myself included. However, during Freshers week, especially on that first Saturday night, get into the kitchen and meet people! Your freshers reps will end up getting you all to talk to each other and get to know one another, and that is how you make friends. The same goes for any socials you join - hop out on social nights that are organised by the social secretaries and you'll start talking to other people. Honestly, make friends during freshers week and your friends for uni will probably be sorted - if not, then there are always people from your course or your seminars
k9markiii
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ifeelcreative)
Hey everyone,
I'm an international student and I got a conditional offer for Law at Lancaster Uni. I've been told that it's a small town so not much is going on there and that worries me a bit. What have you heard?
Hi. Lancaster is a smallish city (about 50,000 people) I don't need to leave the Lancaster area except at the end of terms as it has everything I need, though I do go further afield for running races. Personally I don't do much shopping it's good for groceries and stationary, which are my most common items. I have joined societies and made loads of friend through that. I run with the running club for example and have some great friends through that. We are close enough to go to the lake district or Yorkshire to do a range of different things.

In terms of nightlife you have a wide range of things to do. Sugarhouse is run by the student union and caters for over 1000 people. There are loads of pubs and bars in Lancaster. One of the most notorious is called Hustle. It's floors are so sticky it's claimed people's shoes and only seems to get washed down with the spillages of people's 3 for 1 drinks. Add to this the cheesiest music and it's always a hilarious night.
Caracles
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Last edited by Caracles; 2 weeks ago
Caracles
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by k9markiii)
Hi. Lancaster is a smallish city (about 50,000 people) I don't need to leave the Lancaster area except at the end of terms as it has everything I need, though I do go further afield for running races. Personally I don't do much shopping it's good for groceries and stationary, which are my most common items. I have joined societies and made loads of friend through that. I run with the running club for example and have some great friends through that. We are close enough to go to the lake district or Yorkshire to do a range of different things.

In terms of nightlife you have a wide range of things to do. Sugarhouse is run by the student union and caters for over 1000 people. There are loads of pubs and bars in Lancaster. One of the most notorious is called Hustle. It's floors are so sticky it's claimed people's shoes and only seems to get washed down with the spillages of people's 3 for 1 drinks. Add to this the cheesiest music and it's always a hilarious night.
hustle is shut down rip
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (54)
32.53%
No I don't (78)
46.99%
I work during the holidays (34)
20.48%

Watched Threads