The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

How is CS at Heriot-Watt

Hi all,
I'm an italian student applying for 5 scottish universities, and Heriot-Watt is one of these 5. How is CS at this university?

A feedback from someone studying CS there would be appreciated :wink:

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Heriot-Watt is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the UK and has been a university since 1966. It has a great reputation in the fields of Chemical Engineering, Psychology, Actuarial Science & Mathematics, and Business. It has a fantastic graduate employment rate; Over 94% of graduates are in grad-level employment after six months of finishing their program.

β€’

The Sunday Times University Guide 2011-12

β€’

Scottish University of the Year

β€’

The Sunday Times University Guide 2012-13

β€’

​Scottish University of the Year

β€’

UK University of the Year for Student Experience

β€’

National Student Survey(NSS) 2012

β€’

​Top university in Scotland for Student Experience

β€’

4th in UK for Student Experience

β€’

Top 10 in the UK for graduate employment

β€’

Top in UK for Chemical Engineering, Pychology and Planning

β€’

​Times Higher Education World Rankings 2012

β€’

​Top 100 Universities under 50 years old - 72nd

Also, it was the first CS degree in Scotland. Coming to Heriot-Watt to study Information Systems was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by CalDem
Also, it was the first CS degree in Scotland. Coming to Heriot-Watt to study Information Systems was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Is the Information Systems course a good course? I've applied for it and I really want to study at Heriot-Watt :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ManicPumpkin
Is the Information Systems course a good course? I've applied for it and I really want to study at Heriot-Watt :smile:

Heriot Watt is a fantastic place to study but I feel occasionally that IS is a bit like the unwanted sibling of CS.

The courses we share with the CS degree are extraordinary as the CS Department is one of the best in the uni. But as you probs know, IS students spend 40% of our time in the School of Management and Languages doing the businessy side of our degree. SML is pretty shoddily run but we've been making a lot of improvements this year and I thing next year's students will have a great experience in both schools.

I still don't think there's an other uni in Scotland that would fit me better than HW.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CalDem
Heriot Watt is a fantastic place to study but I feel occasionally that IS is a bit like the unwanted sibling of CS.

The courses we share with the CS degree are extraordinary as the CS Department is one of the best in the uni. But as you probs know, IS students spend 40% of our time in the School of Management and Languages doing the businessy side of our degree. SML is pretty shoddily run but we've been making a lot of improvements this year and I thing next year's students will have a great experience in both schools.

I still don't think there's an other uni in Scotland that would fit me better than HW.

Thank you, that is very helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest