of mice and men quotes, help needed

Watch
KidInk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
in of mice and men, what quotes are most important?
lozsmith
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I completely forgot about quotes when I did my Of Mice And Men exam and it did show in the results. So, yes, I would highly advise that you do use quotes.
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
'What about the rabbits, George?' seems to cover the whole book.
Lennie and his bloody rabbits!!
motivatedshroom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hahaha, I remember doing this at GCSE. ****ing hated Literature. Right I'm sure your teacher's given you loads of points that are important in Of Mice and Men, so just find quotes that support that point and keep re-writing them again and again until they're stuck in your mind. The book's small so it won't take you long...I think every point I made I just chucked in a quote and I came out with an A.
Aaliyah_R
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've got a few:
1. when Carlson wants to shoot candy's dog, Steinbeck writes "He pointed with his toe, 'right in the back of his head. He wouldn't even quiver'. Candy looked from face to face. It was quite dark outside by now." -> in this quote you can talk about how candy is the vulnerable one and no one is really sticking up for him, and the last sentence is foreshadowing where the dark is a metaphor for what is going to happen. and the dog is a symbol/ extension of candy foreshadowing something similar happening to him.
2. "Crooks scowled but lennie's disarming smile defeated him" crooks' anger in this quote is shown by the word 'disarming' almost as though they walked into a battle field, and when he realises that lennie, like him is vulnerable and mistreated by the others, it defeats him and he metaphorically puts down his weapons.
3. it was difficult for Crooks to conceal his pleasure with anger" - similar analysis to the quote above
4. Candy looked helplessly at him, for Slim’s opinions were law. Steinbeck is contrasting opposite characters with the word ‘help’ and ‘law’. -> I didn’t really analyse this quote so im not sure what else, but I remember something about the significance of the adverbs used for candy or something
Also if your doing the extended reading for language then include the significance of their names
good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.61%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (352)
29.21%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.63%

Watched Threads