lewis.robo0794
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guy's how is everyone doing?

I've recently received an offer for history at Royal Holloway and I was hoping to get some students opinions not just on that particular course, but the university as a whole. Would you recommend the university? What are the halls like? Costs? etc. etc. Thanks, I understand you guy's must be busy

Lewis
catherinegirl225
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i also received an offer from royal Holloway to study history
amiehope
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know I'm not a current student, but I've also received an offer for history at royal holloway and have firmed it! From doing my own personal research, cost-wise it isn't too bad on campus and is comparable to most other universities in the country in this manner. If you opt for catered accommodation (ie Founders or Kingswood) I do believe you get 50% off food on the campus in all the cafés and restaurants, which does make a significant difference. I guess the only major issue cost wise is regarding nightlife, as your best options are probably London or Windsor which, naturally, are rather pricey. I've heard Staines isn't too bad though
Regarding accommodation, Royal Holloway has definitely got some really good accommodation compared to other unis I have looked at. I'm personally considering applying for Williamson, Tuke and Butler which are some of the newest accommodation blocks (with a double bed and ensuite it is definitely a yes from me 👍), though I am tempted by Founders due to how beautiful it is! Gender corridors and shared bathrooms isn't really appealing to me though :P the good thing about royal holloway though is that you get a London student loan, so you have more money for accommodation even though the prices are very similar to non-London unis!
In terms of prestige, Royal Holloway has been ranked within the top 20 uk universities for History in the league tables I have looked at, and is ranked really well worldwide!
This is just a bit of a geeky History side note, but next year it will be the 800th anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta which was signed at Runnymede (just down the road from Royal Holloway) so it will definitely be a good time to be at the history department the lecturers when I went to a post-offer open day said that there is likely to be some media attention surrounding it, I'm not sure how true that is though :P
I hope that helped somewhat, sorry if I just repeated stuff you already knew!

Posted from TSR Mobile
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I read Management at Royal Holloway, University of London and graduated in 2012. I thought I'd share my opinion on the University and try and give you my honest opinion of the place (especially now that I've left the place).

The defining feature of the College has to be the fact that we're not actually in London, and yet have access to all of the UoL facilities. I often found myself going into London and using the library at LSE or even Senate House. It allowed me to make friends at other Colleges and as a result be able to discover London (I'm an International student).

As you may have noticed in the last couple of months, RHUL has seen a great deal of change. We've gone up the rankings, to now be just outside of the Top 10. Academics are amazing, and you'll often find yourself going into Founders Library to study in the surroundings.

Nightlife is actually a lot of fun, despite the negative preconceptions people have of it. The Student Union and Crosslands Bar in Founders is the centre of campus life, and house and hall parties are very popular. If you're looking to go clubbing every night or if you like the feel of a city, don't bother coming here. But if you're a person who finds fun in house parties or just drinking at pubs, then RHUL is the place for you. To be perfectly honest, my definition of University wasn't clubbing but more to meet people from all over the world and build a strong network of friends. The type of nightlife that RHUL offered allowed me to do just that. Please don't get me wrong though. Clubbing is definitely big, especially with a lot of people going to Windsor (10 minute taxi ride) and London (around 40 minutes away).

Unlike many London Colleges, RHUL is relatively cheap. There are some good drink deals in the SU and Crosslands, with the average pint costing about £2.50 (cheap by London standards).

I'm sorry I can't help you much on the History course. Good luck in your choice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (106)
27.46%
England (131)
33.94%
Belgium (30)
7.77%
Germany (41)
10.62%
Spain (8)
2.07%