Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Magnesium is a sliver grey metal, iodine a black crystalline non metal. under suitable conditions they will react to form a white compound, magnesium iodide.

1. Give two physical properties that you would expect to be different for magnesium and iodine
    2. How would the appearance of a mixture of magnesium and iodine compare with that of their compund
    3. What is the formula of the compund that they form? What kind of bonding is present it .
    4. How would you expect the behaviour of magnesium iodide to compare with that of a mixture and iodine if both were shaken with water?

Please help me out. This is the last problem out of 15 that I had to do and I cant get this. Please help me

Thank You
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    What do you know about metals and non metals? How do metals look like, how do they conduct heat and electricity? How does it differ for non metals?

Check how the iodine looks like - plenty of images on the web, like this one: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ine-sample.jpg

Everything here is about properties that you can check in wikipedia in no time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabi06)
    Magnesium is a sliver grey metal, iodine a black crystalline non metal. under suitable conditions they will react to form a white compound, magnesium iodide.

1. Give two physical properties that you would expect to be different for magnesium and iodine
    2. How would the appearance of a mixture of magnesium and iodine compare with that of their compund
    3. What is the formula of the compund that they form? What kind of bonding is present it .
    4. How would you expect the behaviour of magnesium iodide to compare with that of a mixture and iodine if both were shaken with water?

Please help me out. This is the last problem out of 15 that I had to do and I cant get this. Please help me

Thank You
    1) Mg -metal I -non metal
    2)Color of the mixture- white color of the compounds:- Mg- silver grey I- black
    3) MgI2 bonding:- ionic bond
    4) i think the question is incomplete or words are missing!

ReputationRep:

Thank You
    1. How does the physical properties of a metal and non-metal compare? Physical properties include boiling point and melting point, appearance (whether they are shiny or not etc), electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity and solubility.
    2. You really need to have seen the mixture and the compound and how they react...then it's be common sense. If you haven't seen it watch it in youtube or somethiing.
    3.A metal with a non-metal forms what type of compound? How is the formula of these types of compounds deduced?
    4. You're typed this out incorrectly. I think this is about their relative solubility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just ZK)
    1) Mg -metal I -non metal
    2)Color of the mixture- white color of the compounds:- Mg- silver grey I- black
    3) MgI2 bonding:- ionic bond
    4) i think the question is incomplete or words are missing!

sorry 4 was:
    how would you expect the behaviour of magnesium iodide to compare with that of a mixture of magnesium and iodine if both were shaken

ReputationRep:
    sorry 4 was:
    how would you expect the behaviour of magnesium iodide to compare with that of a mixture of magnesium and iodine if both were shaken
    Dont remember the answer at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both you for the help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2014
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.