The Student Room Group

Anomalies

Hi, I'm doing biology coursework right now and my graph has an anomalies. However, I don't know what they mean and what they represent, can you help me?
An anomaly is a result that doesn't match the correlation in the rest of the results. It's best to say that you found an anomaly in your results and show what you done by it. If you are talking about your graph say that you found that result and say how you could prevent yourself from getting an anomaly again (e.g. repeat the experiment)
Original post by Fatema1703
Hi, I'm doing biology coursework right now and my graph has an anomalies. However, I don't know what they mean and what they represent, can you help me?
Reply 2
Anomalous results basically mean that there was some sort of error (random or systematic) that led to inconsistency within the experiment. You can mention these in your evaluation, I think, and say why they were caused and how they can be avoided in the future. That's it really, if that's what you wanted to know.
Reply 3
Reply 4
One other question. My teacher said anomalies are a good thing in graphs but how?
One other question. My teacher said anomalies are a good thing in graphs but how?

As it gives you another thing to discuss in your experiment conclusion. If you can say why it's there and how you would avoid it next time you will probably gain more marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well technically speaking, anomalies aren't good because they show that you've done something wrong in your experiment. But they can be useful in GCSE exams because it gives you more stuff to talk about. Just remember to exclude anomalous results when calculating the mean etc.

Quick Reply