DanB123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi.
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am currently choosing my gcse options and I am not sure about a few things:
Should I do triple science (I will most defiantly be getting that option)
Should I do engineering and if I want to do engineering will I have to do it for gcse
Should I do BTEC music or gcse, and If BTEC i've heard it looks bad on your cv
What is Economics gcse like and If I want to work in banking or be a broker will I have to do gcse Econ?
Thanks DanB123
Covington4
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DanB123)
Hi.
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am currently choosing my gcse options and I am not sure about a few things:
Should I do engineering and if I want to do engineering will I have to do it for gcse
What is Economics gcse like and If I want to work in banking or be a broker will I have to do gcse Econ?
Thanks DanB123
I chose to do BTEC media and now I have realised that I should have chose triple science as it gives you an extra GCSE and to me I feel BTECs are not as good.
Beccamarie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All I can say is it is good to choose a range of academic and more creative subjects because it looks more diverse and appealing on your CV Triple science is A LOT of work and effort and I would only really suggest it if you know you can put up with that work load and would benefit from having that on your CV for a specific job. Btec's are not frowned upon don't worry It is just a course for people that prefer to do coursework instead of exams! Btec is more practical and GCSE is more written. At my school they have business studies which I assume is similar to economics but I don't think its crucial to do at GCSE level, it might look better but you can always do it for A level if you don't choose it for GCSE! What ever you choose don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you don't want to do. Goodluck!
Iqla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently choosing my options too and from what I've heard BTEC is a big no no. Apparently it's for people who don't have an idea of what they want to do in life. So I suppose it depends on if you've got a career in mind, if you have, don't pick BTEC - and I don't think it's a good option anyway, it's a waste of time when you've got better options to choose from but at the end of the day it's your choice.
ThatPerson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi.
Thanks DanB123
Take Triple Science, especially if you want to do Engineering. You don't have to do Engineering GCSE if you want to study it at university. I'm not sure if it will help an application since you have the option, other people here can probably tell you that.

Do GCSE Music.

I think some schools want/prefer GCSE Economics to do A Level Economics, so if you want to do Economics you should probably take GCSE Economics. It isn't that hard, it's 95% written questions.

GCSE Options, once you have all the main requirements (Maths, Science, English Language, etc), don't really decide your future as such. A Level options matter most in deciding university courses.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi.
Thanks DanB123
Triple Science is excellent if you're good at science and want to go into a scientific career. If you're planning on taking sciences for A Level, I'd suggest you go with triple.

Engineering GCSE (and A Level) is absolutely not required to do Engineering at University (it will give you no advantage and the vast majority of applicants will not have taken it), so only take it if you really want to. If you want to do Engineering, you need to focus on your maths and physics.

GCSEs always look better than BTECs, but obviously it's better to pass a BTEC than fail a GCSE. Ask your teacher.

You do not need to do Economics GCSE (or A Level) to work in banking or finance. As for Engineering, if you want to go into finance you need to focus on Maths.
Sharmaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I find GCSE economics really interesting and it will give you a big insight into what it would be like at A-level. I find it to be mostly common sense with a few key terms etc to learn and then that's it! It's a subject you either love and find easy, or it's not your thing so you have to decide that for yourself.. It would be a good way to decide whether or not you want to take it further as it's easy to pass even if you don't enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads